IGNORED

Opti-shot 2

Note: This thread is 2978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a little (admittedly shallow) research, as I plan on a golf room in the next house. Everything I've read seems to indicate that if the p3proswing is FAR superior as a simulator (way more sensors), while the opti-shot has better graphics and gameplay. 

I'll be opting for the p3pro, if I want to just play games, I have an Xbox one and a PS3. 

http://www.p3proswing.com/site/

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/17/2016 at 5:19 PM, Ernest Jones said:

I've done a little (admittedly shallow) research, as I plan on a golf room in the next house. Everything I've read seems to indicate that if the p3proswing is FAR superior as a simulator (way more sensors), while the opti-shot has better graphics and gameplay. 

I'll be opting for the p3pro, if I want to just play games, I have an Xbox one and a PS3. 

It would be nice to have anyone that owns this chime in. It's half the price of a skytrak (which is the one I've had my eye on for a while now) and has courses you can play, which would be nice. Would like to know how accurate this thing is.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

9 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

It would be nice to have anyone that owns this chime in. It's half the price of a skytrak (which is the one I've had my eye on for a while now) and has courses you can play, which would be nice. Would like to know how accurate this thing is.

The p3pro still uses infrared sensors like the optishot so it isn't able to measure spin. Skytrak is the much better choice if it's in your budget.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Yes, at this time I'm not sure if I'm willing to shell out $2k+ for one yet, though. Even though it seems like the best "value" simulator. I'm just now breaking 90 consistently so I'm not sure if it's the best option for me right now.

But every week I see a new budget/value simulator that pops up that I hadn't when doing my research. I feel like as soon as I buy one I'll learn of another one on the market that didn't come up in my research that fits my needs/price point better :(

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

On 1/17/2016 at 5:19 PM, Ernest Jones said:

I have seen the comparisons on youtube but I think that most of those are comparing optishot 1 to the p3pro.  Does the 2 change any of the negatives that the 1 was getting against the p3pro?

1 hour ago, sirhacksalot said:

I have seen the comparisons on youtube but I think that most of those are comparing optishot 1 to the p3pro.  Does the 2 change any of the negatives that the 1 was getting against the p3pro?

I believe the technology is very similar insofar as how it "predicts" ball flight, but the optishot 2 has 16 sensors and the p3pro has 65 sensors. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I owned a P3pro for a couple of years. Had it set up in my attached heated garage. Had a full screen with overhead projector. Really loved it and helped my progress enormously. Sold it sometime last year as I had been away last winter golfing and had taken it down as I needed the garage space. Once I get relocated I may get another. More expensive than the Optishot but a lot more accurate from my experience. Being able to hit real balls all winter with a full swing was great.

Cory at par2pro was really helpful when I got my original setup. He even hooked me up with someone that was selling a used unit when I was buying.  He will set you straight and put you in the right setup.

I have an optishot 2 the only difference between 1 & 2 is the software. The 2's software is updated with better algorithms, and the best part is online play. I haven't used mine yet this year but it's always fun to play during the winter months.

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2016 at 5:43 PM, Slowcelica said:

I have an optishot 2 the only difference between 1 & 2 is the software. The 2's software is updated with better algorithms, and the best part is online play. I haven't used mine yet this year but it's always fun to play during the winter months.

This is exactly what I was going to say,  do not buy optishot version 1 software,  it's just not worth it.  Unrealistic ball flights,  chipping is a guessing game,  has little to no value as a training aid imo.  I've only seen the optishot 2 played but it seems it's still plagued by sand wedges that hook or draw 100 yards right or left,  if you want a realistic experience p3 proswing is the first choice,  then skytrak, then gc2.  I bought my optishot thinking it would have some merit for training but I was sadly mistaken.  If you just want a simulated experience without the complete "real" feel then optishot is OK.

I have an Optishot 1. Total setup with a used Optishot, aftermarket mat, hitting platform, and net screen was under $400.

My results have been very consistent. They claim a few degrees of accuracy for club path and face angle and after 10,000 shots I am only more convinced the readings are accurate.

Club path is only given in 4 degree increments, which is about the most subtle amount I can control. Before the Optishot I was massively out to in. Now I can swing at +8 +4 +0 by feel. Without simulator readings this would have been very difficult to develop on my own.

Face angle is also correct to a few degrees, I would guess about 1-2. 

Face impact measures heel -center -toe. I have confirmed these many times with paint on the tee. They are correct for me.

Swing speed is correct, I can verify just by sound but any radar tests I have seen show the correct speed.

Tempo is just a simple timer from backswing to impact, this cannot give misreads.

I think Optishot can be very helpful for those looking to shoot 80's consistently. It will teach you to control club path and face, and the resulting face to path angle that creates shot shape. For a lot of players this is what golf is. The accuracy will probably not be enough for better golfers, where 1-2 degrees really counts. Or those who have good control of path and face as it cannot measure angle of attack, lie, spin, etc.

To get accurate readings I taped my driver completely black, and filled the sole depressions with some light foam so that the surface presents flat. Next I passed this blacked out club over the sensors on test mode. The club would not trip any of the sensors. Next, I applied white tape to the sole, I had to experiment with the width and placement to get impact readings correct. With the tape all the sensors light right up when I flick the club over.

I swing at night without any sunlight or external lights present. It works off of infrared so any light with that bandwidth can cause interference.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2016 at 5:01 AM, suicide slice said:

I think Optishot can be very helpful for those looking to shoot 80's consistently. It will teach you to control club path and face, and the resulting face to path angle that creates shot shape.

I agree. Before the Optishot, I was struggling to break 90 and constantly was verging on 100+. After getting the Optishot and playing for a winter, my score dropped. I find the irons to be pretty accurate. My driver is not at all accurate. I have a square head, cheap Orlimar driver that actually works better with the optishot than my R11 because the bottom is more flat. The challenge is it's a different feel, which I have to adjust to on when I head to the range. But Irons are accurate. I find when I practice my 8 through SW and can hit the greens on the practice range accurately that it translates to the course. Swing path has been my biggest eye opener. 

12 minutes ago, rfeight said:

I agree. Before the Optishot, I was struggling to break 90 and constantly was verging on 100+. After getting the Optishot and playing for a winter, my score dropped. I find the irons to be pretty accurate. My driver is not at all accurate. I have a square head, cheap Orlimar driver that actually works better with the optishot than my R11 because the bottom is more flat. The challenge is it's a different feel, which I have to adjust to on when I head to the range. But Irons are accurate. I find when I practice my 8 through SW and can hit the greens on the practice range accurately that it translates to the course. Swing path has been my biggest eye opener. 

Did you practice the winter before you bought the optishot?  I would be more willing to believe the winter "practice" not the optishot was probably more of what helped you.  I myself have gone from one season to another getting better during the winter simply because I was able to hit balls in my garage all winter long.  This winter not so much and I'm seeing that I didn't improve quite like I wanted because of that.  

You may be right. I actually had a sort of convergence in golf in my life, all of which may have led to me becoming a better golf. 

First I changed my swing. I wandered from online tip to online tip, never fully understanding the elements of a swing until my dad suggested I join this golf site. While getting a daily or weekly video tip I found a teacher in there that really resonated with me. His name is Paul Wilson. His swing is the swing machine. I bought his videos and book and have been using it to lower my score ever since. 

The second thing I did was when I moved, I gained free driving range priveledges with my association dues in my neighborhood. So I began practicing in the summer 3 times a week. They have an awesome short range, two driving ranges, and an 18 hole putting course, all of which I take full advantage of. 

The last thing I did actually happened when I bought the Optishot and began playing in the basement in the winter. Paul's swing taught me how to find that correct swing path. The optishot verified it. He also taught me a lot about the swing itself. I almost went to the S&T swing, but stuck with the Swing Machine and am glad I did. I've since bought his other videos on shot shaping and driver and they've also helped me. 

I play on the Optishot in the weekend tournaments under the same handle I use here in case anyone wants to play a round. 

6 hours ago, rfeight said:

You may be right. I actually had a sort of convergence in golf in my life, all of which may have led to me becoming a better golf. 

First I changed my swing. I wandered from online tip to online tip, never fully understanding the elements of a swing until my dad suggested I join this golf site. While getting a daily or weekly video tip I found a teacher in there that really resonated with me. His name is Paul Wilson. His swing is the swing machine. I bought his videos and book and have been using it to lower my score ever since. 

The second thing I did was when I moved, I gained free driving range priveledges with my association dues in my neighborhood. So I began practicing in the summer 3 times a week. They have an awesome short range, two driving ranges, and an 18 hole putting course, all of which I take full advantage of. 

The last thing I did actually happened when I bought the Optishot and began playing in the basement in the winter. Paul's swing taught me how to find that correct swing path. The optishot verified it. He also taught me a lot about the swing itself. I almost went to the S&T swing, but stuck with the Swing Machine and am glad I did. I've since bought his other videos on shot shaping and driver and they've also helped me. 

I play on the Optishot in the weekend tournaments under the same handle I use here in case anyone wants to play a round. 

My divorce did the same thing...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I was thinking of getting a simulator of some sort. Don't know prices at all but guessed at $5,000. Then I started looking at a local indoor range with simulators. Been hitting balls there for two winters and kept an eye on the regulars using the simulators. I was amazed that almost every guy is hitting almost three hundred yards off the tee. They all played really well. it seemed that they were very good at simulator golf. 

$35 bucks an hour they charge (They shared a four hour round) That's 142 hours at $5000. That's almost 10 years at once a week. 

I hit about 15 hours at the range and then had another two or three times a week in the basement just swinging. Full swings with a wedge (I have a low ceiling)  Probably 3500 swings this winter. Cost me about $300.

Just started hitting out doors at my range. Damn, ball is flying straighter and a bit further. 

If I have the money, is the simulator really helping me on the real grass. or am I becoming a very good simulator player

Whats helping-the simulator or the swinging

Note: This thread is 2978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!