IGNORED

Bryson DeChambeau is now a professional...

krupa
Note: This thread is 2799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Every guy out there on tour at one time or another talks about being the best or just exhibiting some kind of arrogant attitude about golf.  But then again, they are on tour.  I can forgive them for that attitude.  Sure we all love the guy that's humble about his ability, but I think that's rare to find.  Bryson won the US AM, NCAA thing, did well at the Masters, and just started on tour all within a very short time period.  He can afford that arrogance right now.  And just like Patty Reed, he'll calm down once he catches the full force of tour competition. 

Just like the whole Tiger personal life dung, I don't care about what they did before or where they came from, I like to watch these guys play and this Bryson kid is doing very well right now. 

P.S. I hate the hat....

• Upvote 3

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Sure we all love the guy that's humble about his ability, but I think that's rare to find.

Totally agree with everything you said (well, I don't hate the hat so much as I just don't love it, but I digress:-P) but just wanted to touch on the above.  I agree that we love the humble guy, but it's funny because I think we're idiots about it.  We like to hear them say things that sound humble even though, deep down, we know they're lying.

You don't get to that level of any endeavor without knowing that you are damn good, and better than 99.999% of the worlds population at it.  And you also don't compete with the remaining 0.001% on tour if you don't believe that you are the best at what you do.

We want them to play like the best but then turn around and say they are lucky to be there and are just hard workers and anybody can do it if they work hard too.  (Of course, then we get on them for that too) ;)

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Totally agree with everything you said (well, I don't hate the hat so much as I just don't love it, but I digress:-P) but just wanted to touch on the above.  I agree that we love the humble guy, but it's funny because I think we're idiots about it.  We like to hear them say things that sound humble even though, deep down, we know they're lying.

You don't get to that level of any endeavor without knowing that you are damn good, and better than 99.999% of the worlds population at it.  And you also don't compete with the remaining 0.001% on tour if you don't believe that you are the best at what you do.

We want them to play like the best but then turn around and say they are lucky to be there and are just hard workers and anybody can do it if they work hard too.  (Of course, then we get on them for that too) ;)

It's true, part of why I like Spieth is that he is humble and spreads credit out to his caddie and team rather than take it all himself but obviously he know's he's the guy that swing the clubs.  

I guess I don't like the arrogance thrown in my face, as I said in a previous post it's a fine line they have to walk.   I'm willing to give Bryson more time to acclimate to being a pro before calling him blatantly arrogant.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

On 4/14/2016 at 0:32 PM, Chilli Dipper said:

If you think taste is wearing a baseball cap on the course because professional golfers have complacently accepted it as standard attire, you're probably right.

You hate it when a guy in a baseball cap smokes you on the course don't you?

On 4/14/2016 at 1:28 PM, Golfingdad said:

Also, in Rickie's defense, he seems to have stopped with the monochromatic orange.  These days, he usually looks a lot more like this:

rickie-fowler-2015-deutsche-bank-champio

or this:

461703042.jpg

on Sundays.  Nothing really wrong with those looks.

My goodness I love Fowler's swing.

His sand game looks awkward with that long club. I wonder if he'll get a shorter sand wedge eventually. He had an easy bunker shot for normal players but had to stand outside the bunker because of the long club just now. Shorter club would have let him stand in the bunker for sure.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

His sand game looks awkward with that long club. I wonder if he'll get a shorter sand wedge eventually. He had an easy bunker shot for normal players but had to stand outside the bunker because of the long club just now. Shorter club would have let him stand in the bunker for sure.

I can't see him ever climbing down from his 'one club size fits all' approach, to be honest. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems part-scientist, part-wanting to be different and the individual in him will want to stick to his theory. I can't say I like the one-plane swing, but it does look like he has it very well-controlled.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

5 minutes ago, b101 said:

I can't see him ever climbing down from his 'one club size fits all' approach, to be honest. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems part-scientist, part-wanting to be different and the individual in him will want to stick to his theory. I can't say I like the one-plane swing, but it does look like he has it very well-controlled.

He has done pretty well with single length clubs, I'm doubt he's going to make change the lengths in his first few tournaments as a pro.  Keep in mind that he's likely adjusting to the new clubs from Cobra.  

Joe Paradiso

15 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

He has done pretty well with single length clubs, I'm doubt he's going to make change the lengths in his first few tournaments as a pro.  Keep in mind that he's likely adjusting to the new clubs from Cobra.  

And let's not lose perspective either ... He's a 22 year old rookie contending in his first tournament as a pro.

Maybe he'll start gripping down onto the actual shaft for some shots. I just doubt he wants to be standing outside of the bunker when a smaller club would make that shot a lot easier. I believe at the Masters he had a short game shot where the ball was way above his feet, and that's tough to play with a really long shaft.

I mean, he's probably seen enough and been able to adjust. Just seems like he might throwing away some shots that he could get back easily.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I think Bryson ended up the day tied 15, which is still great for his pro debut.  I liked his interview at the end of his round, he tried to be humble and certainly likes that the way he names his clubs and their unique set up gets him a lot of attention and questions.  

Today they also shared a chart he uses which lists all his wedge distances based on clock positions for his back swing.  The concept is pretty basic and I like the idea so much that I'm going to copy it, though I doubt my distances will be as consistent as his.  What was a little off putting was that on the paper with his clock positions and distances were also some random math formulas, symbols, and equations to make it look more "technical".  He seems to really want to push he's a "mad scientist".     

Joe Paradiso

If I'm reading this right, DeChambeau can adjust his wedge swing lengths in increments of 15 minutes. Sheeesh.

O1ogR1r.jpg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

19 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

If I'm reading this right, DeChambeau can adjust his wedge swing lengths in increments of 15 minutes. Sheeesh.

O1ogR1r.jpg

Not impressed.  My wedge swing changes every 15 minutes also. :P

• Upvote 1

Here's the explanation. I still think 15 minute swing length control is pretty insane, but hey, maybe that's why I'm an uncoordinated schlump.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 4/15/2016 at 7:42 PM, newtogolf said:

I guess I don't like the arrogance thrown in my face, as I said in a previous post it's a fine line they have to walk.   I'm willing to give Bryson more time to acclimate to being a pro before calling him blatantly arrogant.  

I like his independent approach, but he does convey a touch of smugness that I'm not a big fan of. But the quality of his golf is more important to me overall.

But I like nice, humble guys like Zach Johnson with solid games too. Kisner seems like a comer in this category too.

Kevin

I'd have to see a visual of this control. He may 'feel' he's swinging in 15' increments...but it's probably rather sporadic and based more on how powerful he's swinging more or less. So far I'm just not a fan. I do feel golf is an art. And many players have an artistic quality (Chi Chi, Trevino, Floyd, Furyk) but to me Bryson is the exact opposite of art. He's technical to a point of gibberish to me. Same length clubs due to purely feeling better is artistic, doing it because some late night physics rampage shows it creates a more efficient swing isn't artistic to me. It's like John McEnroe and Ivan Lendl. McEnroe had flair and wild talent...an artist (Bjorn too) whereas Lendl was a robot with fundamentally sound technique. Just my opinion.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 2799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!