IGNORED

golfmetrics App

glinks
Note: This thread is 2885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I downloaded the app out of curiosity, and then after registering find that there's a fee ($39.99/6 months, or pay a penny more for $79.99/12 months).

I uninstalled.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I took a look at the in-app purchases straight away, the bi-annual $40 fee is not cheap. I wonder if the app provides more in terms of SG data than Game Golf does. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

11 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I downloaded the app out of curiosity, and then after registering find that there's a fee ($39.99/6 months, or pay a penny more for $79.99/12 months).

I uninstalled.

I did the same.
I hope someone has downloaded for feedback.
It's been two years since Broadie talks about his app.
If it is good, I will install.

10 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I took a look at the in-app purchases straight away, the bi-annual $40 fee is not cheap. I wonder if the app provides more in terms of SG data than Game Golf does. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I wonder how the data is collected.
I guess the SG results are for each round

Broadie revolutionized golf stats but this app, the interface is awful, as is the design. And poorly written documentation. I have no doubt that the most important bit, the math and SG calculations  are solid but at least provide a test bed for people to try it before buying. There's no way to input a test round before committing to the in-app purchase. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

It looks to be quite a hardcore numbers driven interface for sure!  Have to wait and see how it would be better than something like GameGolf which is free plus it has all the course and GPS stuff as well.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

16 minutes ago, ZappyAd said:

It looks to be quite a hardcore numbers driven interface for sure!  Have to wait and see how it would be better than something like GameGolf which is free plus it has all the course and GPS stuff as well.

Definitely looks like an interface built by an academic. ;-)

• Like 1

Steve

Thanks for the heads up. There has been discussion about the app for a while, but that price seems too high to make much of a dent into the market. They are certainly counting on being the experts, if they expect to command that much. 

From the 3 screenshots in the App Store, it appears the data entry is manual. 

Pick the type of shot (tee, fairway, sand, green, rough). Enter in the yardage to the hole.

Then click: Penalty, Dbl Pen, Recovery, Cancel, Add Next, or Add.

It's certainly a quiet launch, as the app store links to this web site for the product: http://golfmetrics.com/. There's not even a real announcement of release. It just says "Stay tuned to the Apple iTunes and Google Play stores." Only a brief overview of the product.

I dont' think the Twitter @GolfMetrics is the same brand: https://twitter.com/GolfMetrics.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I can't find it in the App Store or Google Play, does it do GPS and score keeping as well?

Kind of wonder why he wouldn't license his name and the stats crunching engine to one of the popular apps already out there? I use Golfshot for every round, would gladly pay an extra $30 bucks a year if Golfshot did all of the SG stats. It would just have to prompt for lie on every shot, press a button to indicate you hit the shot and it pops up a prompt for lie, maybe add 2s to each shot which is not a big deal. GolfNow just launched a GPS app last year, that would be a great differentiator if their app had that built into it.

Make those app developers do all of the work on the app, just collect your royalty as they're sending stats through your engine. Sounds less risky and more profitable to me.

• Upvote 1

Well he finally got it done. I'd be curious to play around with it, but $80 / year is a lot.

I wonder if that high annual fee (besides recouping development cost) is to attract hard core / high end golfers first as a way to work the bugs out of the system before dropping to a mass consumption price point?

Have to say I like the elegance of the radar chart to see your 'whole game' in one picture. Graphics are a little bland. The product blurb mentions strategy. Is that something that the other apps like ArcCos and GameGolf address in their reports?

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

7 hours ago, natureboy said:

Well he finally got it done. I'd be curious to play around with it, but $80 / year is a lot.

I wonder if that high annual fee (besides recouping development cost) is to attract hard core / high end golfers first as a way to work the bugs out of the system before dropping to a mass consumption price point?

Have to say I like the elegance of the radar chart to see your 'whole game' in one picture. Graphics are a little bland. The product blurb mentions strategy. Is that something that the other apps like ArcCos and GameGolf address in their reports?

That doesn't make sense to me.. If you want to work the bugs out as you mentioned then you put it out for free, or for a very small nominal price and then once it is a tuned product you raise the price significantly.  I'll be interested to see how many people go for this, coming from Columbia I would expect him to be a little more business savvy than this.  

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I hate to pile on, but the app icon - what is that? It indicates more a green mapping app than strokes gained. Granted, coming up w/app icons is hard in a saturated market.

Steve

6 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

That doesn't make sense to me.. If you want to work the bugs out as you mentioned then you put it out for free, or for a very small nominal price and then once it is a tuned product you raise the price significantly.  I'll be interested to see how many people go for this, coming from Columbia I would expect him to be a little more business savvy than this.  

I see your point, but I'm thinking along the lines of Tesla starting with high end users as a way to build production capacity / insights into good performing all electric vehicles. It could be more of just boutique market focus like Lamborghini?

Another thought I had is that this might be 'in-house' project rather than a major commercial offering. Possibly Columbia software engineers put it together with Business School grad students as a 'collaboration project'. Target is high-end users who want (or need) the best data possible (from the source) and are less concerned with graphics / price. Profits go to grad school endowment?

Kevin

It's standard "Crossing the Chasm".  Mark knows there are hardcore golfers out there that want to track this level of stats and $40 per 6 months is less than the cost of a box of Pro V1's.  

He'll start with a high price to attract early adopters and then adjust the price to appeal more to the masses or offer a dumbed down version at a lower price point.    

Joe Paradiso

7 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

It's standard "Crossing the Chasm".  Mark knows there are hardcore golfers out there that want to track this level of stats and $40 per 6 months is less than the cost of a box of Pro V1's.  

He'll start with a high price to attract early adopters and then adjust the price to appeal more to the masses or offer a dumbed down version at a lower price point.    

Good good luck to him on that one.  I haven't met a group that is more hardcore about golf and stats than on this site.  I haven't seen anyone chime in yet on how excited about this app and the price point.

The way I see it, if you can't get this group of people excited with you're product your better off appealing to the masses right away.

• Upvote 1

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

5 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

Good good luck to him on that one.  I haven't met a group that is more hardcore about golf and stats than on this site.  I haven't seen anyone chime in yet on how excited about this app and the price point.

The way I see it, if you can't get this group of people excited with you're product your better off appealing to the masses right away.

He's probably paid a fair amount of money to develop the app and he's trying to recoup those costs as quickly as possible.  Again for six months we're talking about less than the cost of a dozen golf balls.  

Where I think he messed up is that he should offer a 1 week trial so people can play with the app to determine if the cost is justified.  I've been fooled a few times buying apps that didn't deliver on what they promised or being so buggy they are unusable.  If the app was well implemented and provided stats that are unique and difficult for me to calculate on my own I'd spend the $40 but I won't do it blind.  

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!