Jump to content
IGNORED

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?


Improvement in Your Golf Game  

579 members have voted

  1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

  2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?



Recommended Posts

I have about the same the last few seasons, 12-14 handicap. Decided to initiate steps to perhaps improve that in the 2017 season as I am turning 60. Some of the advice that has been suggested to me here that I admittedly did not fully adhere to will now be used. I also am getting hands on instruction ( it has been a long time)and embarking on a stretching routine.

Edited by mpb1472
added information
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, I shot my lowest score because I hit 13 greens, and was damn close to 4 of the remaining 5.  Without that, all the up and downs in the world wouldn't have got me anywhere near that score.

Despite my current driver problems (just hideous lately, anything can happen from a dribble off the tee about 30 yards, a total sideways shank, a hook, a slice, or just an ugly sounding clanger with c

Due to raising my daughter i went from 2-3 times a week to no golf with the exception of bucket of balls or par 3 on an occasion.  Since my daughter is 17 and busy, i ended my 15 year hiatus and am ba

Posted Images

I compared my first round from this year to the first round from last year:

2016: 95 strokes, 39 putts, 5 greens, 7 near greens.
2017: 83 strokes, 34 putts, 8 greens, 8 near greens.

Improvements include putting (after a SAM lesson with my coach), and general improvement to the swing from lessons, mainly learning how to hit flighted approaches (again from lessons) which have allowed me to at least hit a green from 60-120 yards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm a better golfer than a year ago statistically, but in many ways, I'd prefer to be where I was then, when I was putting in a lot more practice. My short game is less sharp, my drives go 20 yards shorter, and my putting is atrocious. However, I have largely gotten rid of the disastrous misses, calmed down my tendency to overhook my hybrids and irons, and have (knock on wood) gotten a reprieve from the shanks. So while I've lost a lot of yardage, through changes to my swing and being less fit, I'm keeping it in play more and hopefully creating a better foundation to build off of. But yeah, I need to get back to driving it 260+ consistently. I'd just had to neglect driver to stop the bleeding in the rest of my bag and get it back to being gameable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, dkolo said:

I'm a better golfer than a year ago statistically, but in many ways, I'd prefer to be where I was then, when I was putting in a lot more practice. My short game is less sharp, my drives go 20 yards shorter, and my putting is atrocious. However, I have largely gotten rid of the disastrous misses, calmed down my tendency to overhook my hybrids and irons, and have (knock on wood) gotten a reprieve from the shanks. So while I've lost a lot of yardage, through changes to my swing and being less fit, I'm keeping it in play more and hopefully creating a better foundation to build off of. But yeah, I need to get back to driving it 260+ consistently. I'd just had to neglect driver to stop the bleeding in the rest of my bag and get it back to being gameable. 

Why you need to hit 260+ ? now you hit less but score better. I played 2 handicap first half of 2016 hitting just 250 total but accurate. Keep the ball in play it´s the N°1 objetive of the game. Hit it long it´s important, but without accuracy it´s imposible to avoid penalty hazards and score low.

"I have largely gotten rid of the disastrous misses, calmed down my tendency to overhook my hybrids and irons" this is a grate achivement for you, that´s why your statistics are better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, p1n9183 said:

Why you need to hit 260+ ? now you hit less but score better. I played 2 handicap first half of 2016 hitting just 250 total but accurate. Keep the ball in play it´s the N°1 objetive of the game. Hit it long it´s important, but without accuracy it´s imposible to avoid penalty hazards and score low.

"I have largely gotten rid of the disastrous misses, calmed down my tendency to overhook my hybrids and irons" this is a grate achivement for you, that´s why your statistics are better.

I get that, but I was able to achieve that distance consistently, so I would like to try to get it back. My driving was better then than it is now. Now, I can't get any consistency with my driver while swinging it full, so I'm resorting to hitting fairway finders and keeping it in play. I want to work on my driver to get my consistency and distance back because I know it's there, I just need to unlock it through practice. I played winter tees recently and they were basically one tee box up. I shot my best round ever because I was playing shorter second shots on every hole. So I need to recreate that advantage year-round through improving my driver. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golfing and practicing less, but better now than I've ever been. When I play and practice, I use feedback more effectively. Less, but getting more effective than in the past.

My short game is on and off, but my long game makes the experience really fun. This holds even when I double a hole from inside 30 yards or even on the green in regulation. :-D

OTOH, I'm working on my swing and short game. I see potential for improvements this year. Just have to be more serious about my game and stop goofing around so much half the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 3 weeks later...

This year will be interesting. I realized in the last 2 years that I had lost a club of distance. I'm figuring it's because I'm approaching  60. Turns out I had shoulder issues :

1 complete tear in the rotator cuff

2  partial tears

torn bicep muscle

bone spur 

something else.

So I'm out now after surgery. My surgeon says that was a major reason for my swing change, So I will be curious come June when I can swing again what will happen.

Here's the problem; I had no pain to indicate that my shoulder was sooo messed up. It was only because my GP noticed me bending weirdly and suggested an MRI that I found out. So I am sharing this because we all have swing issues. Not all of them are because we need to change something in our swing. Given how Tiger has fallen apart and his game can't recover, it's my suggestion that if you think your swing could be indicative of a problem, start with a simple X-ray. It could save you a lot of money on clubs and balls you may not need.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, golfintheworld said:

This year will be interesting. I realized in the last 2 years that I had lost a club of distance. I'm figuring it's because I'm approaching  60. Turns out I had shoulder issues :

1 complete tear in the rotator cuff

2  partial tears

torn bicep muscle

bone spur 

something else.

So I'm out now after surgery. My surgeon says that was a major reason for my swing change, So I will be curious come June when I can swing again what will happen.

Here's the problem; I had no pain to indicate that my shoulder was sooo messed up. It was only because my GP noticed me bending weirdly and suggested an MRI that I found out. So I am sharing this because we all have swing issues. Not all of them are because we need to change something in our swing. Given how Tiger has fallen apart and his game can't recover, it's my suggestion that if you think your swing could be indicative of a problem, start with a simple X-ray. It could save you a lot of money on clubs and balls you may not need.

I'm guessing your answer is "No, I'm not better than a year ago"?

Are all these injuries from playing golf? Your GP noticed that you were bending weirdly and yet you felt no pain? This is all very scary. . .

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yea that is the scary part. I was probably feeling twinges but ignored them due to age. So I also found out that my right shoulder has 2 tears but isn't as bad. Could golf have contributed? Sure. It's not like I have a stretching coach at my beck and call--nor would I use him. But the injuries can happen as simply as catching yourself falling or hitting a root on the downswing. As mentally focused as Tiger was, he didn't feel his lead knee giving out until it was damaged. So this is why I am just suggesting to all of us that if something doesn't "feel right" in the swing, there could be a very physical reason why.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Honesty?  No and No.

 

Don't expect major deterioration in health or fitness but age and pain free joints and back do not go hand in hand.  More mid-80 rounds than low-80 rounds for me.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nowon said:

Honesty?  No and No.

 

Don't expect major deterioration in health or fitness but age and pain free joints and back do not go hand in hand.  More mid-80 rounds than low-80 rounds for me.  

I am sorry to hear that.

Sometime we look from improvement where the improvement will be insignificant or neither. 

What I found is chipping, pitching and putting are the more important and easy parts to  be better golfer.

The involvement of the body is significantly lower, easy to accomplish and the reward coming sooner.

Also when you take lesson you can feel that the instruction is applicable from day one to your own game.

I wish you luck!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

At the Portland Golf Show, just signed up for my first GolfTec analysis for $75. Good deal, we'll see if it gives me some useful data on my full swing. For short game, I need lessons...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have to say yes. My first two rounds this year, put me right where I wound up last year after a full season of play and practice. And this with no roll and sketchy greens!

Edited by Buckeyebowman
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 3 weeks later...

I feel that my ball striking is better than ever.  But has this lowered my score, no!!!:pound:  There are several issues here.  First (1) every now and then (1 in 20 hits), my ball will squirt right.  (2) I will start to chunk the ball toward the end of a round like I am getting tired.  This appears to be caused by drifting slightly toward the ball during the downswing.  (3) my putting is inconsistent.

But in terms of target line, I can be dead on target on many hits.  I love it when the ball follows my target line and flies high in the sky.  I do tend to hit it too high at times.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

After a year of very little golf, a relocation and new playing conditions my hcap index has taken a serious beating of approx 4 the wrong way. My long game is pretty decent (ball striking, driving, irons) but my seriously lacking short game has really hurt my game in wet spring conditions. Hopefully, with better weather and some diligent short game work I can get things back on track to my goal of getting below a 10 index. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjan21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Spring Training baseball games down your way in about 30 days!  It's coming... I tell ya, it's coming!
    • Baseball games today for my youngest. I had to wear a light jacket. 
    • Oldie but goodie: Douglas Avery(@douglasavery7) on TikTok: #hatemenow #douguwild #ypy #tigerwoodschallenge #hatemenow #douguwild #ypy #tigerwoodschallenge  
    • I have a 15 week puppy and was playing tug-a-war with a rope dog toy, he lunged and chomped for a new grip and caught my finger.  He still has those sharp pointy little puppy teeth.  The cut is a pretty sensitive spot as far as holding a golf club, I don't want to reopen it.  Too small for stitches I would think... I imagine an professional athlete (basketball, golf, football) would get it stitched and play on. Here's a pic from yesterday morning (we hit 80 degrees later in the day, San Diego coastal).  
    • 1/17/21 - PP: straighter right elbow           Secondary thought: initiate DS with Left hip I definitely FELT my left hip engage earlier, but not sure the picture changed much.    Impact position from yesterday:   impact position from today:   hard to tell with the safety screen and baggy sweats
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. 68begin
      68begin
      (73 years old)
    2. adam3553
      adam3553
      (35 years old)
    3. alezaiii
      alezaiii
      (39 years old)
    4. cmoneygo
      cmoneygo
      (38 years old)
    5. El Mucho
      El Mucho
      (37 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...