IGNORED

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?

Improvement in Your Golf Game  

610 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?

I am SO much better than a year ago! I was so frustrated with myself a year ago that I nearly quit playing. My handicap index was a 28... now 15.1 trending to 14.8

a few lessons to fix the fatal flaws (mainly my wonky grip) and determination to get better, then a plan of action and lots of action! Easy-peasy! Hahaha, just kidding it’s been a fun process but not at all easy!

My goal is single digit by 1/1/19, still ambitious but I must quiet the naysayers...

Barbara

www.golfgirl.net 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you, it's pretty exciting! I'm fortunate to live in Southern California where I can play all year, and also my job allows me to play several times a week. Also, we moved to a house with a large yard, so I dug a bunker and can practice 35 yard shots and sand shots whenever I want... no excuses!

Barbara

www.golfgirl.net 

On the one hand yes...on the other hand no.  I am not "holding on" as yet; but I am getting pretty close.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• 3 weeks later...

After laying off from the game for seven years due to a spinal chord engery I'm playing the game again and even new clubs. Riding in a cart and still only able to play nine and it wasn't pretty. But I'm off the couch.  Man do I have a lot of practice ahead of me....

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

After laying off from the game for seven years due to a spinal chord engery I'm playing the game again and even new clubs. Riding in a cart and still only able to play nine and it wasn't pretty. But I'm off the couch.  Man do I have a lot of practice ahead of me....

Good luck!!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

My better shots are better and my worse shots are worse.  On average I'm about the same; but it still feels like progress.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:51 AM, RandallT said:

Good luck!!

Take care of your back, spinal cord problems sounds pretty bad. I've had three back surgeries and consider myself lucky to still be able to play. I've slowed my swing down and rely more on tempo and let the club do the work instead of trying to kill it. I'm about 10 to 20 yard shorter than my playing partner, (he is 6'5" at 250 pounds), but I make up for it with a 3W on the fairway and a good short game. Putting still needs work. I'm good at lag putting but miss on three to four footers, go figure.

Anyway, I hope your back gets better and you can build the stamina for 18. I can walk 9 but I have to ride when we play 18. Two Aleve also helps a lot.

I feel like I'm about the same. Honestly its just practice. Just swinging clubs once a week is not enough. My irons have improved tremendously; I've added about 5-10 yards on each iron. They are my strength. But off the tee I am still wild, especially with the driver. Costly if you play from behind trees or in deep rough regularly. I have almost considered not playing my driver. Have had success slowing my tempo, but I lose so much distance. Just not worth it. For me 2018 is about getting out to the range and chipping greens, and playing at least once a week.

• 3 weeks later...

I went from a 16 handicap to a little under a 12, so I definitely would say I'm a better golfer.    This year I really want to get my GIR up to around 7 per round and somehow figure out how to reduce the frequency of double bogeys or worse.     It seems like I always card one per 9.   

• 3 weeks later...

This time last year I think I was around 24 or 25. So yes my handicap says I am a better golfer, but I really feel like my breakthrough is close and I’ll be under 20 soon. Just gotta keep working. 

I have commented in this thread before. That said, from this date last year, I am, on average, no better, or worse than I was 12 months ago. 

I can say, that when I put my mind to it, to prepare properly, to put up a good score, I can play better than my average might suggest. I just need the incentive to put in the extra focus, and practice on my game. 

These days, I mostly just go out for the fun of it. Hit the ball, go find it, and hit it again. :-D

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

A couple break throughs this week has be hitting the ball much better and putting better than ever.

Full swing; getting elbows a little more away from my torso (similar to Hogan's elbows tied together image link) and stop moving my melon with my swing.

Putting; found my weight going towards my toes a bit when putting. Stroking it much more solidly to the point my buddies are asking 'Who the heck are you?'

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that i am much better than i was last year.  I feel way more confidence around the greens and putting.  I also feel that i have more control off the tee box so I'm finding more fairways and thats the real key for me.  Once I'm hitting consecutive fairways, i find it to be incredibly easier to get more GIR's.  Another thing that has improved in my game i would have to say is my mental state while playing.  I am more confident in managing my emotions and not thinking about the score.  Usually if i'm playing a good round and 5 over after 12 holes, i'll start to almost pressure myself into making good shots and executing putts.  This year my biggest improvement i will be actively seeking will strictly include constantly finding ways and thoughts to enhance my happiness and groove.  A more free spirited approach always helped tremondously on the links.  It's really the fact of how much enjoyment and desire I am experiencing while i play which is why i don't beat myself up if I go out and shoot a 94.   I was able to break 80, 2 times last year.  I have been consistently shooting low 80's which is the best golf i have ever played in my life.  Up to this point, and how far I have taken my golf game while enduring other dimensions of thought, i found that i am always improving.  Writing down my weaknesses really helped me get the most out of my seldom practice sessions (i for real usually just go out and play 18) So the answer would be yes.  I do feel that i am a better golfer this year.  I hope to get more rounds in the 70's but we will see.  My short game will have to be tight!!  

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not. I'm not sure what's going on. I play/practice WAY more than I ever have in the past. I'm not sure why it's a no, I've racked my brain trying to find out what makes me tick, but I'm just not sure. For whatever reason (fate??) I just don't play as good when I stay fresh and practiced then I do when I haven't touched a club in a long while. Maybe it's due to my thought process going from "dear lord please let me make solid contact" when I haven't played in a while to "ok, I'm going to hit a low draw, start it mid right and draw around that small tree". I shot my best 18 ever on a round where I hadn't touched a club in 6+ months and had only played 3 rounds or so a year for 8 years. 

It didn't hurt that I holed out for birdie on the first hole, and made a HIO on a short (267 yard) par 4, then almost holed out on a 170 par 3, but still I hit more memorable shots on that round than I've hit in the 4 years since combined. Including a chip in for birdie on the par 3 18th, needing to make par to stay under par. 

I used to compete in amateur LD comps, SS was low 140's back then. Never could figure out the spin game so I wasn't the best at them. Now my swing is slower and my spin is even more. Not sure how but it sure has an impact. This is despite my best efforts to reign it in. Proper shafts, etc. I top out in the upper 120's or so nowadays and struggle to spin it less than 3k with the most spin killing setups known to man. Typical good strikes are 3200 RPM's. Bad strikes might make it 4-5k. Give me a downwind hole though.... 🙂

I'll figure this out at some point. I already know how to hit knuckle balls that fall out of the sky at 1500 RPM's, I just need to swing my setup at 105-110. What happens from 105-125, that's my mystery. I can play at that 105 speed, I'd just get a little more bendy shaft and be good to go. I can't leave 20MPH on the table. Those days are a forced coming soon so I refuse to do it prior to then. I will play that way into the wind now just because I can hit the same distance with either swing. Nuetral  or positive though I just can't sell myself on it. 

This isn't a call to arms of reasons why it spins that way. I have the proper AOA, and all other stats seem to be optimum. No one can figure it out, that's my problem.