IGNORED

Getting Kids Involved in Golf

ECUPirate
Note: This thread is 2881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What's an appropriate age for getting children interested in the game of golf?  What's some of the first things to work on with younger children?  Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2.5 year old son, and while I feel he's too young to get started in the game, I'd like to know what y'all think is an appropriate age and some pointers for getting them started.  When I do get him started, I want to focus on keeping it fun for him so we can enjoy playing for many years to come.

• Upvote 1

If you make it fun, probably you can't start too young. If you hand him some toy clubs and hit some plastic balls he'd probably have a blast.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

He has the plastic clubs and balls and really enjoys those (for as long as his short attention span will allow).  I was wondering from those with smaller children (or older children now), what age did you get them started in golf and how did you start out (some tricks of the trade).

Mixed bag with my three, my eldest has a passing interest, middle no interest and the youngest is still too young to start, but the one thing I would suggest is that the entire process is led by them.

I got a set of small light kids clubs that they can all use and let them come to the range or course if i know I won't be long. My eldest (4 at the time) first came for a round with us while we were on Holiday in Spain and enjoyed riding in the buggy, raking bunkers, tending the flag, teeing up the ball etc, but it was late at night and we whizzed round in under 3 hours (and were on the course where we were staying so we could easily stop at any time).

I would say that they will wander mentally a long time before you would expect them to, but make it fun and they will gradually find an interest in various parts even if its just for an enjoyable way to spend some time together and not meaningful golf.

• Upvote 1

Hi, My name is Matt.

10 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

If you make it fun, probably you can't start too young. If you hand him some toy clubs and hit some plastic balls he'd probably have a blast.

I agree, the earlier the better. Several of my friends will take their kids for short cart rides or Mom/Dad will bring the child out to see and watch them play a hole or two.

Youth programs at our club are incredible with over 150 kids in the program.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My two youngest Grand Daughters (9 & 10) are getting interested in the game. They get out of school in a few days, and have informed me they expect at least 2 days a week at the short game practice area at their " home course ". They already have some of the lingo down. 

We have already been working together on putting, with one already getting some chipping practice in. 

There is no pressure, and it's all fun for them right now. Our practice sessions  have already been discribed as "hanging with Gramps" at the golf course. The having fun part is the most important part of this for them, and myself. 

Right now practice consists of putting from long distances with the goal of getting the ball down in 3 or less strokes. The reward is moving on to chipping & putting. Surprisingly, the younger one seems to have more of a knack for the game. 

The only draw back so far is that we have to pick our practice times carefully. Some of the adult golfers are not too happy having youngsters around. Of course this is also where the ettiquette part of the  game comes in. We will stand off to the side and watch and learn from others. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I can only speak from the kids perspective an I started with the plastic club and balls at 4.5 years old. If we had moved next to the golf course earlier in my life I could easily see starting at 2.5 to 3 years old. In my experience starting the game and my experience from watching other parents is you cannot make them want to do it. They need to show the interest and I think watching a parent play/practice will let you know if they are interested.

2 hours ago, Dinoma said:

Mixed bag with my three, my eldest has a passing interest, middle no interest and the youngest is still too young to start, but the one thing I would suggest is that the entire process is led by them.

I got a set of small light kids clubs that they can all use and let them come to the range or course if i know I won't be long. My eldest (4 at the time) first came for a round with us while we were on Holiday in Spain and enjoyed riding in the buggy, raking bunkers, tending the flag, teeing up the ball etc, but it was late at night and we whizzed round in under 3 hours (and were on the course where we were staying so we could easily stop at any time).

I would say that they will wander mentally a long time before you would expect them to, but make it fun and they will gradually find an interest in various parts even if its just for an enjoyable way to spend some time together and not meaningful golf.

Agree with this.  Just keep it casual and fun (don't force anything on them) and hope they take to it.  My oldest is a little interested and I've taken him to the range several times and we've even played 9 holes 3-4 times (he's 7 now - we started playing when he turned 6) (almost forgot ... He's gonna do a kids camp this summer too)

5 year old has zero interest at this point.  I'll take her to the range one of these days and see if she enjoys hitting the ball.

Youngest looks like he might be the one - he's not yet 18 months and already recognizes it on tv, knows the word, and likes to goof around on the putting green. :)

at a young age they're all different. Get them hitting balls indoors at the house, or in the yard. My 7 year old has been playing 9 holes of par 3 for over a year now with me. He played 18 with me last month. We teed it up from the reds on par 3s, and from teh 150 mark on the rest of the holes. However he is a freak, most kids would not want to do that for so long.  When their attention span is gone, the day is done. You gotta go at their speed. 

Keep introducing it, but it has to be fun and they have to want to. 

My 3 year old will hit balls with actual kids clubs, but only for about 5 minutes, then it's onto something else. The older one would have done it for an hour. Let them be the guide.

My oldest impacts nobody in any way at the course. He has better etiquette  than most golfers and he isn't a slow player. Each one is different and depending on the age and maturity they should or should not be out on the course.

Ive got a 3 year old daughter shes my middle child shes only one that likes golf ive got her a putter she'll putt wen i get up to the green, shes gettn pretty good, then I plan on getting her chipping and putting etc till we get to the tee box

O.E.F VET 11B East Texas!

I think it sucked that in my province, the provincial association did absolutely nothing to promote kids/teens to try. It was basiccally that your parent was involved already and got you into it.

I have twin 5 year old boys who are showing a lot of interest in playing so i got them a cheaper 3 club set. It was tough finding them used stuff since they have to be the same and one is a lefty.

They started to like all sports in general at 3, so we took them to a PGA kids event where they gave them some plastic clubs and set up 9 mini holes to play. They enjoyed it so we took them to a miniature golf place. Since they kept enjoying it so I figured I would get a set and start them at a practice green to play some putting and chipping games and go from there.

If I find any games they enjoy Ill post them here.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!