IGNORED

2016 Mets World Championship Thread

Groucho Valentine
Note: This thread is 2746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

He isn't penalized for making ridiculous claims, but for backing out on a bet.  Heck, if we got penalized for ridiculous claims, we'd almost all be in the box.

I understand that, but it was his ridiculous claim that led to the bet.  

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Doesn't seem that bad to me, you just get to have that sexy logo as your avatar until you send a check to @iacas,  Its a definite improvement on the one you used to have.

No it isn't. This is a travesty. Big sexy is the best thing that has ever happened to this board. 

11 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

No it isn't. This is a travesty. Big sexy is the best thing that has ever happened to this board. 

Well, you know how to get him back.  $50 now, down the drain, or $100 in the mail to @iacas, that you just might double.  Sometimes it best to think before you type.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

19 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

WTF IS THIS?

hahaha

METS:

My

Entire

Team

Sucks

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

Chances of reaching 110 games is just about zero given Wright is out too and there aren't decent replacements for either corner.  If their pitching rotation doesn't come back into form they will be lucky to win 95 games.  

Joe Paradiso

I will not say that the Mets can't win the pennant again... Because October baseball is a hell of a lot different than April and May baseball... 

The Mets could win 95 or so games and win the division... I will buy that.... 

There isn't a team in the NL right now that can beat the Cubs in a best-of-seven. If the Cubs stay relatively healthy, they'll be the team to represent the National League in the fall classic...

The Cubs being really stupid good is absolutely no surprise to anyone... This is a team who won 97 games last year, and had to play in the wildcard game.

So to sum up... Sure the Mets have a chance, to be world champions... But the Cubs say otherwise.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On June 4, 2016 at 8:21 AM, DaveP043 said:

Well, you know how to get him back.  $50 now, down the drain, or $100 in the mail to @iacas, that you just might double.  Sometimes it best to think before you type.

Hell no! You're crazy if you think I'm forking over cheese to strangers on a message board. Despite the fact that the Mets are the best team in the national league. Maybe ever. 

21 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I will not say that the Mets can't win the pennant again... Because October baseball is a hell of a lot different than April and May baseball... 

The Mets could win 95 or so games and win the division... I will buy that.... 

There isn't a team in the NL right now that can beat the Cubs in a best-of-seven. If the Cubs stay relatively healthy, they'll be the team to represent the National League in the fall classic...

The Cubs being really stupid good is absolutely no surprise to anyone... This is a team who won 97 games last year, and had to play in the wildcard game.

So to sum up... Sure the Mets have a chance, to be world champions... But the Cubs say otherwise.

The Cubs are a very good team, but I suspect they're going to hit a wall at some point. I love their lineup even without Schwarber. The NL Central is going to be a grind fest when summer hits. The Pirates and Cardinals will also have a word or two to say. 

The Nats suck. They have no chance. 

On June 4, 2016 at 11:28 AM, newtogolf said:

Chances of reaching 110 games is just about zero given Wright is out too and there aren't decent replacements for either corner.  If their pitching rotation doesn't come back into form they will be lucky to win 95 games.  

I expected both Wright and Duda to miss time this season. The fact they dont have replacements ready in the event of that is a total failure at the top. 

On 6/3/2016 at 3:42 PM, DaveP043 said:

I'm amenable to that type of settlement, talk about money for nothing.  This isn't blood sport, its talking baseball....and integrity.  Have a great weekend, everyone!

10 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Hell no! You're crazy if you think I'm forking over cheese to strangers on a message board. Despite the fact that the Mets are the best team in the national league. Maybe ever. 

Apparently its mostly about integrity.  If @Groucho Valentine doesn't have the guts to back up his claims, after apparently accepting a bet, let him out.  I think he's demonstrated who he really is.  We'll find out who the Mets really are over the next four months.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

(edited)
13 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Apparently its mostly about integrity.  If @Groucho Valentine doesn't have the guts to back up his claims, after apparently accepting a bet, let him out.  I think he's demonstrated who he really is.  We'll find out who the Mets really are over the next four months.

Well actually, i never technically agreed to anything. It looks like your boy iacas made that decision unilaterally. Im not talking about integrity on the internet. How silly. 

On June 4, 2016 at 9:37 AM, InTheRough said:

hahaha

METS:

My

Entire

Team

Sucks

Shouldn't you be busy knocking ice cream cones out of the hands of kids or something? 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

On 6/3/2016 at 10:39 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

A fool and his money are soon parted. That Benji is going to feel sweet in my pocket. 

On 6/3/2016 at 11:03 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

Dont worry. Im good for it. 

9 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Well actually, i never technically agreed to anything. It looks like your boy iacas made that decision unilaterally. Im not talking about integrity of the the internet. How silly. 

Seems to me that @iacas was reading your words as if you really meant them.  Obviously that was just bombast.

Dave

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

Seems to me that @iacas was reading your words as if you really meant them.  Obviously you didn't.

Shouldn't the wager be about you and I then? Who cares what this iacas says. 

But I make avatar bets all the time. I think Big Sexy would look great on you. 

Guys, can we please lay off the betting thing and just talk baseball?

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Just now, jamo said:

Guys, can we please lay off the betting thing and just talk the mets winning the world series?

I like the way you think, Jamo. I bet you think the Mets are going to punish the Pirates this series, too. 

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Shouldn't the wager be about you and I then? Who cares what this iacas says.

The bet is between you two. I offered to hold the money in escrow and give it to the winner. I'm a neutral third party.

That's all. You took the bet, then welched on putting your hungie into escrow.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

54 minutes ago, jamo said:

Guys, can we please lay off the betting thing and just talk baseball?

Im with @jamo ... All this betting nonsense is very off topic.

P.S.  Go Padres! ;)

I bow to the will of the people, all bets are off.  I'll continue to root for one of the three NL teams with records better than the "best team in the National League".  

Dave

21 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I bow to the will of the people, all bets are off.  I'll continue to root for one of the three NL teams with records better than the "best team in the National League".  

The Mets are the defending league champions (not world champions that's the Royals). Until they are eliminated from post season contention. Or someone beats them in the LDS or NLCS, the Mets are still the National League champs.

Are they the best team in the National League? No, the Cubs are. Are they the best team in the NL East? Ask me in a month.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

24 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

In no small part due to former mets great Daniel Murphy. 

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!