IGNORED

PXG Irons, Are they worth the money?

Note: This thread is 2038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

If you find over paying refreshing, go for it.

No, just their approach in general. In my case, I would buy the lower range I mentioned since I would miss the extra 2 grand I would spend. My wife would make sure of it. :-) 

2 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

"Are they worth tht money ($400 per club)? And once again, no they are not.

So what's your value price? $100, $80, $60? If so, why would you pay anything over $5 for a lump of metal on end of a stick? How are you justifying that? 

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

First of all, who ever told you they feel (utterly subjective) and PLAY THE BEST???? If so, why isnn't every pro whose livelihood depends on performance playing them? Please, be serious. To your second point, we all understand their marketing strategy, and who they're aiming it at. But once again, the question was "Are they worth the money ($400 per club)?" And once again, no they are not.

I have hit them, bottom of the bag to the top for an extended period of time.    They are extraordinarily forgiving and provide extra distance in a nice compact head.   They feel different than any club I've hit.   

but, first off, most pros get paid to use what they use.   secondly, pros do not need the forgiveness or extra distance.    and even the PXG tour head is a bit big for what they prefer.   

but, you're just not understanding the difference between worth it and value.   and, they're not targeting the value shopper.   They are worth in the same way that Prov1 golf balls are worth it in comparison to Callaway supersofts.   They are double the money, but they are definitely not twice as good.   especially to a golfer that has an unpredictable ball flight.   But, they are better.  so if you've got the cash, why not? 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

5 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

No, just their approach in general. In my case, I would buy the lower range I mentioned since I would miss the extra 2 grand I would spend. My wife would make sure of it. :-) 

So what's your value price? $100, $80, $60? If so, why would you pay anything over $5 for a lump of metal on end of a stick? How are you justifying that? 

Asking a value price the way you did is silly. Let's go back to the $1200 Mizuno's. Are they inferior to the $3200 set of PXG's? Are the Mizunos a better value? The funniest part of your argument is that PXG aren't even CLOSE to the best value for irons in the same 3K and up price range.. 

1 minute ago, lastings said:

I have hit them, bottom of the bag to the top for an extended period of time.    They are extraordinarily forgiving and provide extra distance in a nice compact head.   They feel different than any club I've hit.   

but, first off, most pros get paid to use what they use.   secondly, pros do not need the forgiveness or extra distance.    and even the PXG tour head is a bit big for what they prefer.   

but, you're just not understanding the difference between worth it and value.   and, they're not targeting the value shopper.   They are worth in the same way that Prov1 golf balls are worth it in comparison to Callaway supersofts.   They are double the money, but they are definitely not twice as good.   especially to a golfer that has an unpredictable ball flight.   But, they are better.  so if you've got the cash, why not? 

Hey, it's your money, let's just agree to disagree. :beer:

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

5 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Let's go back to the $1200 Mizuno's. Are they inferior to the $3200 set of PXG's? 

yes.

5 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Are the Mizunos a better value?

yes. 

6 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

The funniest part of your argument is that PXG aren't even CLOSE to the best value for irons in the same 3K and up price range.. 

Disagree.   I've hit a few different sets of Miura's too.  I'd much rather have the PXGs.   but, I'm not a professional ball-striker, so it's different. 

7 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Hey, it's your money, let's just agree to disagree. :beer:

well...  not my money, because I don't have $3k to toss at a set of irons..    but, if I did...    :beer:

check out my swing here

When you get into the "ultra-premium" segment of any market, you will always end up paying more for incremental improvements in performance or experience. 

Why pay $1,000 for a front row seat to a concert, when you can sit a few rows back for $350? Or fly 1st class for 4 times the cost of an economy ticket? 

If you believe that PXG's claims of superiority are simply a marketing ploy, and that their clubs are no different from the other top end manufacturers out there, then I suppose you can take opposition to their pricing and question those who choose to buy them.

But if their stuff is even 1-2% better (however you choose to define that) then the competition, then it should be no surprise that people are willing to pay 2-3x the cost. 

There are a select few people out there for whom money is no object. They want the best and they will pay what it takes to get that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lastings said:

yes.

yes. 

Disagree.   I've hit a few different sets of Miura's too.  I'd much rather have the PXGs.   but, I'm not a professional ball-striker, so it's different. 

well...  not my money, because I don't have $3k to toss at a set of irons..    but, if I did...    :beer:

Well then I sincerely hope you DO get to put a set of them in your bag one day. 

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

I am willing to bet that more than half of the PXG buyers are double digit handicaps.  If that's true... if.... I would contend that any benefit PXG's bring to their game is near non-existent.  

1 hour ago, altos said:

I am willing to bet that more than half of the PXG buyers are double digit handicaps.  If that's true... if.... I would contend that any benefit PXG's bring to their game is near non-existent.  

Huh?  Forgiving irons bring more benefit to a less than stellar ball striker than they do a scratch.  Their the ones that need the forgiveness. 

check out my swing here

This isn't about the face of the club, rather, conspicuous consumption.   My guess is that if half the customers had spent $1000 on a very nice set of irons and $2000 on lessons he/she would have come out much farther ahead.  Of course, they wouldn't be able to show off to his/her friends with the "look at what I got".   And with that forgiving face then can solidly spray it in just... about... any random direction and who knows what distance.  But they look good in the club house as long as no one sees their swing.   Just a biased opinion on my part.   enjoy !  

7 minutes ago, altos said:

This isn't about the face of the club, rather, conspicuous consumption.   My guess is that if half the customers had spent $1000 on a very nice set of irons and $2000 on lessons he/she would have come out much farther ahead.  Of course, they wouldn't be able to show off to his/her friends with the "look at what I got".   And with that forgiving face then can solidly spray it in just... about... any random direction and who knows what distance.  But they look good in the club house as long as no one sees their swing.   Just a biased opinion on my part.   enjoy !  

Who looks at someone else's clubs? And if they do, do you really think they draw some conclusion about the person's playing ability? My experience is that the really good players have VERY little interest in equipment.

Who judges a person based on the way they spend their discretionary money?

I think that golf clubs inside a bag are pretty inconspicuous, TBH.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

No. They are a vanity purchase.

… to you.

I generally hate threads like this. What's "worth it" to one person may be totally out of the question for someone else.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes, people seldom look at clubs... although... hummmm.... large manufacturer logos on bags, shoes, hats, head covers, gloves, shirts... oh, that's right, no one looks.  But, apparently, the owner hopes they will look.  Buying "status", real or perceived.  I'm not a fan of being an advertising billboard.  Regardless, if they have the money and are happy, more power to them !!!  Enjoy yourself.   I have a Dockers head cover on my driver.  It's white, size 12, cotton, works like a champ.   I don't know where the other sock is.   But if I ever need to blast out of a pond I will have prepared for at least one dry foot.  No one has asked my about my Dockers driver.  Yet.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, altos said:

Yes, people seldom look at clubs... although... hummmm.... large manufacturer logos on bags, shoes, hats, head covers, gloves, shirts... oh, that's right, no one looks.  But, apparently, the owner hopes they will look.  Buying "status", real or perceived.  I'm not a fan of being an advertising billboard.  Regardless, if they have the money and are happy, more power to them !!!  Enjoy yourself.   I have a Dockers head cover on my driver.  It's white, size 12, cotton, works like a champ.   I don't know where the other sock is.   But if I ever need to blast out of a pond I will have prepared for at least one dry foot.  No one has asked my about my Dockers driver.  Yet.  

You spent $12 for a pair of socks? Walmart 6pk for $6. Geez....you must really like Dockers.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

$12?  Costco.  $5.99 for 6 pair, just like Walmart.   The logo is really faded after a couple of years of foot use/washing prior to being "re-purposed".   It gives it that chic, "been there, done that, got the sock" look that is all the rage on the course.   When anyone asks I say "put a sock on it".  A slight misquote. 

Edited by altos

4 hours ago, iacas said:

… to you.

I generally hate threads like this. What's "worth it" to one person may be totally out of the question for someone else.

Agreed. It depends what you value, how you derive worth. If you take the economic concept of utils (a unit of happiness/joy/satisfaction) - and having PXG provides you with 3x more utils than a $1000 set of clubs (plus spending the remaining 2k on other things) then it is worth it . Utils don't only come from 'better golf' or 'lower scores'.

For me - I derive very few utils from cars, I just don't get it. My wife and I drive a basic, very high value car. I get my utils from reliability, value for money, that is says something about me (frugal, sensible). My best friend loves cars, and gets his utils from european styling, luxury etc.

My pushbike costs about 6x what he does. We are both better off me having a cheap car and an expensive bike and him vice versa.

This is why you can't argue with what other people value - it is deeply subjective, not rational.

• Like 2

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

13 hours ago, altos said:

wait...    you have actual socks as head covers?   is this a real thing?

check out my swing here

3 hours ago, lastings said:

wait...    you have actual socks as head covers?   is this a real thing?

Apparently he does. :whistle: That's one guy who ain't springing for PXG's... 

No PXG's in my future.  Bassara shafted GBB driver headcover was ... lost... somewhere on the course.   My stupid mistake.    I needed a quick substitute and found one in my bag, in my emergency kit area.  Slipped that sock on and it worked perfectly although the aesthetics are, lets say, an acquired taste.  My regular group now expects to see it.   I carry one driver, therefore, labeling it was not necessary and my fairway woods have "normal" head covers.   I have had a couple people at the driving range give the sock odd looks as they walk by, that is, until I hit the driver.  And I am sort of known for making "full contact" and splitting the fairway.   May be the strongest part of my game.   The Dockers label is barely visible, faded.   That must be the reason no one has asked about Dockers making drivers.   Or they simply think I'm crazy and don't want to get too close.   

Edited by altos
  • Like 1

Note: This thread is 2038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!