IGNORED

Golf Balls for Distance

Note: This thread is 2804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone!

I have always enjoyed golfing but have never have done particulary well at long range driving. I don't want to spend tons on clubs so my thought was what balls will carry better and travel better for this? 

I have researched some aspects of this problem I have had and stumbled upon this site:  http://www.grumpygopher.com/10-best-golf-balls-distance/

What is your take on it? Do you think these balls are legit and actually do carry better or do I just need to get my swing going better? Or both?  Are these balls as effective with short range putting too?  I'd love to know your thoughts

Well I haven't tested all the balls on that list so bearing that in mind. I've found that most balls behave surprisingly similar in terms of carry. 

I actually have played around with this on the course and while it does feel the premium balls outcarry their cheaper competitors I'm not 100% thats the case. On my last round I hit 2 shots of the tee on a par5 a Pro v1 and a cheap wilson (50/dzn vs 15/dzn). Both dead center strikes, slight fade and the wilson outcarried the pro v1 by about 5 meters(2i shot, ss~120ish). These shots were on the exact same line back to back.

The biggest difference to me is spin and how the ball feels. Off the tee cheaper balls feel like hitting a rock.

So no I don't think it will make a difference. Play a ball you can afford to hit in the woods. If you want to hit it longer hit harder.

8 hours ago, jbtornado said:

I don't want to spend tons on clubs so my thought was what balls will carry better and travel better for this? 

Which ever gets you closer to higher launch and lower spin of the driver. 

The USGA regulates the ball speed off the driver. So in the end it's all about your swing and getting optimal launch conditions. \

Typically a cheaper, non-urethane cover golf ball, will spin less off the driver. It depends on which ball you are comparing. Some premium golf balls spin really low off the driver. 

8 hours ago, jbtornado said:

Do you think these balls are legit and actually do carry better or do I just need to get my swing going better?

This. A golf ball will not dramatically give you more distance. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say swing, club, and then ball in that order of importance impacts distance.  I do not know what driver you use but you can get an excellent used 460cc graphite driver on the web for $150 or less.  Depending on your swing speed and angle of attack playing the right ball can help your distance.   I have an 88-90 SS and use a low compression ball like the Softfli or Supersoft because I hit them straighter and longer than most other balls although they do roll out some on the green.  To further confuse the issue one of the longest drives I hit last year was with a found ProV1X, although what started as a fade on the next drive continued into the woods.

I would try a few sleeves of different types balls, such as a low compression SuperSoft, mid-compression e6 or NXT Tour, distance ball like the Pinnacle Gold, and a tour ball like the ProV1X.  Once you determine the type of ball that goes long and plays well around the greens for your swing there are plenty of other similar balls you can try to get the right ball at a price you can live with.

The balls I like and play the most with are:

Callaway Supersoft

Callaway Diablo

Top Flite D2 Distance

My preference is the Supersoft...it is longer, plays better off the short irons and just feels good coming off the club...

Ah! It was so much simpler back in the old days! Want distance off the tee? Get yourself some Top Flites! Just don't expect to hold a green with them unless it's as soft as pudding.

But, the same thinking applies today. Low spin balls are for distance, high spin balls are for control, shot shaping, and holding greens. Manufacturers today are trying to give us the best of both worlds, low spin off the driver but high spin on approach shots.

But compromise only goes so far.

My buddy was playing the Titleist Velocity and hitting the ball a mile! He gave me a sleeve to try and I liked them. They feel good and go like hell! Then he found a brand new Pro V-1 and decided to play it to see how he liked it.

He hit it nearly as far off the tee, but it was on the approach shots where the differences showed up. He hit the Velocity high anyway, but with the Pro V the trajectory looked like the first big hill on the roller coaster! He began winding up short and couldn't understand why. I told him because he was hitting a high spin, "pro style" ball, he might need to take an extra club.

I suppose somewhere in between is the happy medium.

Ive done so much experimenting with golf balls, its borderline absurd. GENERALLY speaking the difference in distance between golf balls is probably 3-5 yards. HOWEVER, if you have a slow swing speed ( under 85 ) then I think the difference can be a little more significant. Its easier to fully compress a softer ball and if your swing speed is sub 85 you could be talking 15 yards difference between a very high compression ball and a very low compression golf ball. But its probably not enough to worry about for the average player. Golf balls biggest difference will always be in feel and approach spin....and those differences can be massive. My advice is to try a sleeve of several different types of ball and see what happens. In my humble opinion, the most important thing about golf balls is the fact that you play the same ball all the time so u know what to expect if you hit the shot successfully. Best of luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

Got an interesting tidbit... In order for a ball to be USGA Conforming (which is required for tournament play), the overall distance of the golf ball when tested, cannot exceed 317 yards when struck at a set speed by a mechanical robot. So, if I ball is considered USGA Conforming it will not go further than 317 yards, despite whether it is being marketed as a "distance" ball. Yes, there are balls that go further, but they are not USGA Conforming.

ProVictoryOPT_logo.jpg

I used to play the Titleist Velocity for similar reasons to what you want. It's a low spin ball with ok feel, but to me it felt like it flew!!! Great into the wind and nice to putt with. Only gave up on it as I wanted something a little softer.

On 7/13/2016 at 7:31 AM, KarenS said:

Got an interesting tidbit... In order for a ball to be USGA Conforming (which is required for tournament play), the overall distance of the golf ball when tested, cannot exceed 317 yards when struck at a set speed by a mechanical robot. So, if I ball is considered USGA Conforming it will not go further than 317 yards, despite whether it is being marketed as a "distance" ball. Yes, there are balls that go further, but they are not USGA Conforming.

This ^

For a ball to be conforming there is a limit on initial velocity and distance.  Makes sense that various models and brands all go about the same distance.

Increased swing speed is #1 when trying to get more distance, #2 is learning to hit a draw (if you don't already).

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:12 PM, No Mulligans said:

This ^

For a ball to be conforming there is a limit on initial velocity and distance.  Makes sense that various models and brands all go about the same distance.

Increased swing speed is #1 when trying to get more distance, #2 is learning to hit a draw (if you don't already).

It would be interesting to see the results for each ball tested at -10 and +10 mph from the standard speed used.  I drive the new lower compression balls significantly farther (10-12 yards) with my 88mph 64 year old swing and I would like to see if it is also true for the robot.

4 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

It would be interesting to see the results for each ball tested at -10 and +10 mph from the standard speed used.  I drive the new lower compression balls significantly farther (10-12 yards) with my 88mph 64 year old swing and I would like to see if it is also true for the robot.

Which ball is that.  I have a similar swing speed and would like to do a comparison to ProV1's.

19 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Which ball is that.  I have a similar swing speed and would like to do a comparison to ProV1's.

I drive the Softfli, SuperSoft, and DT TruSoft longer than balls like the e6 or NXT Tour.  Interestingly though, one of my longest drives was with a found ProV1X.  The problem is I sliced it into oblivion on the next drive.

8 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Just hit my longest drive today and it was with a found Nike with a green swish.  Not sure which one that is.

PD soft I'd guess. 

I feel as though (gasp!) Pinnacle golds were pretty long. Not much good for me on shots into the green though

1 hour ago, chilepepper said:

PD soft I'd guess. 

I feel as though (gasp!) Pinnacle golds were pretty long. Not much good for me on shots into the green though

This ball was working well on the greens also.  I got a 165 yard up hill 5 iron to take a divot and backup a couple of feet with the ball.

I have played most of the balls that were listed and none of them seemed longer that the  other. I also play other brands and none of them are much longer or shorter. My SS is somewhere in the 80's I would guess. What I have found though is I can play some of the real soft low compression balls and not worry about not being able to stop them on fairly hard fast greens. Most of these ball fly high off 6 thru Wedge and land softly. The older two piece balls used to hit the green and run like a scared rabbit. They are doing great things with two piece balls these days. Most balls today go pretty much the same distance off the driver, yet there are some that may go longer depending on your swing and how your angle of attack is when hitting the shot. The only way to find out is to try different balls. Most golf courses have three ball packs that won't cost you much that you can try. No matter what anyone says here (especially me) it is their experience and it may differ greatly from yours. 

Note: This thread is 2804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!