IGNORED

I am playing in the US Mid-AM qualifier, but I need your help.

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 2745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, BallStriker said:

LOL at the last 3-4 pages of this thread......jfc....I am ramping up to play in my state mid-am shortly and will certainly NOT be posting anything about it around here....people are just too damned uptight and serious.....not life and death

I don't think the use of the plural "people" is accurate in this context.

Is your handicap index accurate? 5.8? I imagine that's outdated, and you're lower now, if you can compete in your state mid-am. No?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't think the use of the plural "people" is accurate in this context.

Is your handicap index accurate? 5.8? I imagine that's outdated, and you're lower now, if you can compete in your state mid-am. No?

Without looking back specifically, I am sure you are right about the plural/singular -- but it is not the first time I have seen someone over-react on a topic (myself included, I am sure) -- I guess my point is that sometimes we all need to take things in perspective.  

In any event, my current handicap is only "slightly" better and, in fact, my state (Washington) permits State Mid-Am participants up to like a 12.3 or something like that.  Even the State Am permits players with a 6.5 or so to enter, although there are qualifiers to the finals.  

I am playing OK, but nothing super (although I had a good run earlier) -- the main reason I am playing is that I get a chance to play three rounds on a great new course (the No. 1 new public course for 2014) for $200.  Plus, it gives me something to focus my golf practice on -- no real expectations other than to give it my best shot and have a blast.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

12 hours ago, BallStriker said:

LOL at the last 3-4 pages of this thread......jfc....I am ramping up to play in my state mid-am shortly and will certainly NOT be posting anything about it around here....people are just too damned uptight and serious.....not life and death

All that said, I did really enjoy this thread Kyle and appreciate you putting yourself "out there" to share your experience -- I can certainly appreciate the perspective of the first time playing in a bigger event -- sometimes you just need to take a leap and put yourself in those positions -- I remember the first time playing in my State AM tourney and I could barely breath standing over my first putt, just praying to lag it up from about 22 feet...LOL

Good stuff

That was the point of his thread, to share with us. The negative posts are by grumpy, negative people. I would look forward to hearing about your experience too as I have only played in league tournaments. I don't have plans to play other tournaments until I retire in a couple of years.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'll be sure to update everyone with my club championship results.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Thanks for posting about this - and definitely want to hear about the club championship.

I don't see that your result indicates anything other than lack of tournament experience, nerves and possibly just a bad day. 

Looking at the Women's Olympic Leaderboard - there are some 80's and an 82 . .and these are pros.  Maha Haddioui carded an 82 and and 80 - she plays on the Ladies Euro Tour so I'm assuming she is probably a plus index . . .did she cheat on her handicap . .or did the pressure of the Olympics get to her? 

Next one will be better and the next one after that even better . .

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2016 at 7:51 AM, kpaulhus said:

I'll be sure to update everyone with my club championship results.

I've been in Alaska for the past 2 weeks or so. How did the club championship go? 

23 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

I've been in Alaska for the past 2 weeks or so. How did the club championship go? 

The details are in another thread:

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/76592-the-tst-member-tournament-play-thread/?page=14

Brian Kuehn

I never believe handicaps. I thought at first that people lie to get more strokes, but it is just the opposite. When I see a 8 handicap, who( for example, drives the ball 220 from the regular tees), I highly question it.  I think, "could this guy break 90 from the championship tees at Oakland Hills?   The answer for anyone who claims to be a 8-15 is usually no. 

2 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

When I see a 8 handicap, who( for example, drives the ball 220 from the regular tees)

The USGA standard for a scratch male golfer, who plays to a 0 handicap, only drives the ball 250. It's perfectly reasonable for an 8 to drive the ball 220 if they play the appropriate tees for their distance.

I think, "could this guy break 90 from the championship tees at Oakland Hills?   The answer for anyone who claims to be a 8-15 is usually no. 

The answer for anyone who is a legitimate 8-15 is probably no in that case. It has a course rating of 76.9 and a slope of 145 from the championship tees. An 8 handicap golfer has a course handicap of at least 10 when playing that course, meaning that the best 50% of their rounds would average out to approximately 87, assuming they played the course regularly enough to become familiar with it and develop this average. If it's the first time playing the course I can almost guarantee that no 8 handicap (or even a 6.5 handicapper such as yourself) would be very likely to break 90 if their handicap was an accurate representation of their ability.

The answer for anyone who claims to be a 8-15 is usually no. 

As I mentioned earlier, the answer for anyone who is an 8-15 is supposed to be a no, they shouldn't expect themselves to break 90 from the championship tees the first time they play that course based on the numbers. Handicap =/= number of strokes over par you can expect to shoot on any given course.

• Upvote 3

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, StefanUrkel said:

B.S. 9/10 golfers hitting the ball around 220 TOTAL aren't shooting under 87 on a 7000 yard course with rough and greens

Cool. What's that got to do with the OP?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:19 PM, yai said:

Hey kyle, thats great that even though you didnt have the round you mightve hoped for, you still have a positive attitude about it.

Looking at your recap, and im sure you already know this, looks like more of your time practicing could be spent on and around the greens. Short game and putting!! Sounds like you got off the tee pretty well. Proximity to the hole on approach shots sounds like it couldve been better, but it sounds like the majority of your bogeys came from not getting up and down and 3 putts. 

You have a full year before your next crack at it! I think youll be surprised at how much you can improve with a year of consistent and focused practice. 

Good luck!

Yai - I'd be interested in hearing how your stroke play rounds went.  I was following you along with another guy I know.  Both of you were fairly close.  It seemed like there were a few decent scores Sunday morning, but nobody who played in the afternoon seemed to score very well.  I'm assuming it got windy? 

John

35 minutes ago, SG11118 said:

Yai - I'd be interested in hearing how your stroke play rounds went.  I was following you along with another guy I know.  Both of you were fairly close.  It seemed like there were a few decent scores Sunday morning, but nobody who played in the afternoon seemed to score very well.  I'm assuming it got windy? 

Yeah i could definitely recap my rounds if you're interested. Im sight seeing with family, but ill write up my experience probably tomorrow night when i get back. Thanks for following!

23 minutes ago, yai said:

Yeah i could definitely recap my rounds if you're interested. Im sight seeing with family, but ill write up my experience probably tomorrow night when i get back. Thanks for following!

Yes - I'd be interested in reading about it.  When I say I was following you, it was on the computer rather than in person.:-)  Enjoy the sight-seeing

John

I was scrolling through the results from the stroke play from this weekend and was a bit relieved that a lot of guys who ended up qualifying shot in the 80's at Stonewall. Just goes to show you why its an amateur tournament, and scratch golfers can have a bad round. 

It is also a bit odd that a lot of the players dont have handicaps in GHIN, or at least I cant find them. Do they get special status from previous years? I would assume a USGA tournament requires a GHIN handicap.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

3 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

I would assume a USGA tournament requires a GHIN handicap.

Not all regional and state golf associations use Ghin as their computation service.  Its possible they could have a valid USGA handicap without being in Ghin.  You might have some entries from surrounding states.  You can heck here to see which associations use Ghin

http://www.ghin.com/associations.aspx

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 2745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!