IGNORED

Penalty for behavior vs fine

woodzie264
Note: This thread is 2836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With Pieters and Rory this week embarrassing themselves, would a penalty stroke be a more effective deterrent for acting like a 3 year old than a fine? Thoughts?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If they aren't in contention, a penalty stroke to a top player like Rory won't mean anything (the fine doesn't either).  They affect him nominally, as if you or I were fined pocket change.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I get that - maybe both! I just think it the reprocussions should be felt

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I get that - maybe both! I just think it the reprocussions should be felt

Why? Two guys got angry and didn't disturb anyone else in doing so.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, Elrey Desol said:

meh. they snapped a club(s). not a big deal imo.

"childish"? sure. but no worse than someone dropping F-Bombs all over the place after poor shots.

And no penalty strokes were handed out for that, either.  Penalty strokes are for actual golf infractions, not disturbing your sensibilities.  But I would find it hilarious to see a rule crafted that would do what you suggest, since penalty strokes would have to be assessed based on a rule, and there is no way you could craft a rule to do so that could apply in a remotely equitable or rational way.  And then I would like to see you try to enforce it on a playing companion. 

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I wouldn't penalize. You don't want to turn golf into a "judging" game as to what warrants a penalty for behavior and what doesn't. Ever watch baseball? Guys break bats, managers throw bases and pitchers destroy Gatorade coolers. It's part of sports.

It's called human emotion, some may find it distasteful but it in no way warrants a penalty or fine.  

Joe Paradiso

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

Why? Two guys got angry and didn't disturb anyone else in doing so.

I guess I see golf as being a game of etiquette and rules that foster good etiquette.

7 minutes ago, turtleback said:

And no penalty strokes were handed out for that, either.  Penalty strokes are for actual golf infractions, not disturbing your sensibilities.  But I would find it hilarious to see a rule crafted that would do what you suggest, since penalty strokes would have to be assessed based on a rule, and there is no way you could craft a rule to do so that could apply in a remotely equitable or rational way.  And then I would like to see you try to enforce it on a playing companion. 

I see your point there. 

-Jonny

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

With Pieters and Rory this week embarrassing themselves, would a penalty stroke be a more effective deterrent for acting like a 3 year old than a fine? Thoughts?

Maybe they should fine them if they forget to shave, or not tying their shoestrings.... Anything else you want them to control ?

Lack of marriage by 30 ? Lets call that not sociable enough and only impose a small fine... 

How about mandatory face lifts by 50, or a weight limit, excess fat as an  "ISSUE"... After all, they play golf to set fine examples for the young kids, not to make money and have a career...

Christ ole mighty.... Let them play, let them get mad, let them have fun and vent if needed.... Spit on a spectator, now that is a fine...Throw F bombs... no, not a fine, just venting.... Don't want your kid to hear it, dont take him or her...

What is with everyone trying to tell everyone else how to live all of the time...

Today's world has turned into the "not so fun, not so personable, not tolerable type of crap we all knew it would if money controlled everything and those who walk the perfect line day in and day out could finally express their opinions without a punch in the mouth...

11 minutes ago, Quadhole said:

Maybe they should fine them if they forget to shave, or not tying their shoestrings.... Anything else you want them to control ?

Lack of marriage by 30 ? Lets call that not sociable enough and only impose a small fine... 

How about mandatory face lifts by 50, or a weight limit, excess fat as an  "ISSUE"... After all, they play golf to set fine examples for the young kids, not to make money and have a career...

Christ ole mighty.... Let them play, let them get mad, let them have fun and vent if needed.... Spit on a spectator, now that is a fine...Throw F bombs... no, not a fine, just venting.... Don't want your kid to hear it, dont take him or her...

What is with everyone trying to tell everyone else how to live all of the time...

Today's world has turned into the "not so fun, not so personable, not tolerable type of crap we all knew it would if money controlled everything and those who walk the perfect line day in and day out could finally express their opinions without a punch in the mouth...

I think you're over reacting...I see why you empathize with them . Perhaps a deep breath my help 

-Jonny

• Administrator
Just now, woodzie264 said:

I think you're over reacting...

As are you, no?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

As are you, no?

I'm not talking about things that clearly are irrelevant to the game of golf. I'm not bringing Christ into the discussion. I simply brought up a topic for discussion and am not getting angry over it. There is a clear difference in the tone of our posts. 

-Jonny

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I'm not talking about things that clearly are irrelevant to the game of golf. I'm not bringing Christ into the discussion. I simply brought up a topic for discussion and am not getting angry over it. There is a clear difference in the tone of our posts. 

What does tossing a club have to do with the "game of golf?" So long as the guy doesn't try to use a club damaged outside the normal course of play… I think he was making a point by hyperbole.

You too are over-reacting in the opinions of many, I would wager.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

What does tossing a club have to do with the "game of golf?" So long as the guy doesn't try to use a club damaged outside the normal course of play… I think he was making a point by hyperbole.

You too are over-reacting in the opinions of many, I would wager.

My understanding is that golf has always valued things that foster good character (integrity, etc) and I feel like conduct would be included there. Although, as I concede to a post above, I see the impossibility of trying to enforce something as far as a rule goes. 

As far me overreacting, I'm sorry of this topic has offended you. I think we should all be held accountable for our behavior. I made the post to see how others felt regarding whether or not others feel as though any other penalty/reprocussions would be appropriate. I don't feel that it was over reacting, but we can agree to feel differently about that. 

-Jonny

No big deal in my opinion. Happens in all sports during a temporary melt down for a personal failure. 

Strokes, and/or money is not a deterant as it is. Now, if pro golf wants to give out a punishment to a player for doing something stupid, which embarrasses the game, I always thought making the offending player go through, and qualify in the qualifier rounds to play in their next tournament. Just think about it. A pro golfer having to play golf, and not being paid to do so. :-O

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

My understanding is that golf has always valued things that foster good character (integrity, etc) and I feel like conduct would be included there.

So showing anger in a way that harms no other person demonstrates a lack of integrity and shows poor character?

As far me overreacting, I'm sorry of this topic has offended you.

That, too, is an over-reaction. I'm not in the least bit offended, nor was I offended or even mildly put off by the display that prompted this topic. In fact, I enjoyed it somewhat - I think it's good to see players not acting like emotionless robots.

I think we should all be held accountable for our behavior.

To what end? The guy snapped a club over his knee. I disagree with you that it's all that bad.

I made the post to see how others felt regarding whether or not others feel as though any other penalty/reprocussions would be appropriate. I don't feel that it was over reacting, but we can agree to feel differently about that. 

I think asking for repercussions is over-reacting. :-)

Yeah, as long as they aren't damaging the course or hurting spectators, I think it's entertaining. I always enjoy a little cursing and club-flinging.

- John

Note: This thread is 2836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!