IGNORED

Turn that boombox down/off ... you idiot!

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 2829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

35 minutes ago, Elrey Desol said:

just a data point that seems germane to this thread (and a few others recently):

- went out as a single yesterday. starter made a point of slow-walking me to the first tee so i could be paired with someone before heading out.

- got paired with two guys, both semi-retired, who were very nice.

- going up the first fairway, we discussed how seriously we planned on taking the round, playing "ready golf" and the like (we were on the same page).

- they asked me if i minded if they smoked (one a cigar, the other cigarettes) and i said "go ahead". (i am pretty sensitive to the smell of smoke)

- i asked if they minded if i played some music, and they said "go ahead" (which i played a a low volume, between holes and going to between shots, on a bluetooth speaker)

- the taller of the two fellows like to talk - a lot - and often did so in his partner's backswing.

- he also critiqued my swing and offered numerous, unsolicited, suggestions throughout the round. he also made a point to look at every club in my bag, and comment on all of them.

we all had fun and shook hands on 18.

Oh come on, don't lie.  Don't give me this live and let live BS.  Give me the real story ... the one where you both told the other guy to eff off and it ended in a fistfight or a thread of murder or some nonsense.  Based on the anecdotes in some of these threads, that's what I've come to expect.

(I'm joking, just in case somebody didn't pick up on it.):beer:

• Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

Oh come on, don't lie.  Don't give me this live and let live BS.  Give me the real story ... the one where you both told the other guy to eff off and it ended in a fistfight or a thread of murder or some nonsense.  Based on the anecdotes in some of these threads, that's what I've come to expect.

(I'm joking, just in case somebody didn't pick up on it.):beer:

you caught me. i actually played a 5.5 hour round, solo, never once letting the faster group behind me play through. listened to Katy Perry at full volume (CAUSE BABY YOU'RE A FIREWORK!!!1!) while pounding down a dozen double-IPAs. made a point of not fixing a single pitch-mark - because you know, screw everyone else - and took the "Carts on Path Only" sign as a polite suggestion.

good times.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Elrey Desol said:

you caught me. i actually played a 5.5 hour round, solo, never once letting the faster group behind me play through. listened to Katy Perry at full volume (CAUSE BABY YOU'RE A FIREWORK!!!1!) while pounding down a dozen double-IPAs. made a point of not fixing a single pitch-mark - because you know, screw everyone else - and took the "Carts on Path Only" sign as a polite suggestion.

good times.

And the truth comes out! :-P

2 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Sorry I should have multi quoted on this.

I disagree Jeremie.

Posting a solo round is black and white against the rules. Choosing to play a radio and than posting that round is black and white against the rules.

Defining "listening" as another group blasting music, or not having a choice in riding with some one playing music is not as black and white, IMO. It's pretty easy for me to tune that out.

As mentioned in my other post, I don't think that's what the rule was intended for and I think a rules committee who understood the circumstances I've described would not rule it as a violation for another player to post the round.

Again, there is a difference between agreeing to allow music to be played by others in your group and the happenstance that music filters over to you from another group or outside source. When someone asks if you mind if they play music and you tell them that it's OK then you just agreed to listening to that music during the round, which violates the rule. However, I would say that is only if you actually hear the music while playing. If they only play it between shots and you aren't around it very often and never during a swing then I'd say it's probably safe to post the round, but if the person playing the music is in your cart and you are around the music for basically the entire round... Well I'd find it hard to believe there is any way around saying that you've been in violation of the rule. 

Even after all that, as stated earlier, I'm more than likely not going to cause a fuss over someone listening to music, I'll just not post the round and enjoy having a chance to play a round with other people as opposed to solo. I choose the err on the side of not posting a round that could be considered played outside the rules, but that's just my philosophy. My wonder is how many people who listen to music while playing that didn't know of the rule will continue to listen and still post their rounds, because I legitimately didn't even know this was a rule before.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I listen to music most of the time when I golf.  Most of the time I am by myself though too so it isn't going to be posted anyways.  I would bet that over 75% of people don't realize this is a rules violation and its probably more.  I don't understand the issue with it though.  Is someone really gaining an edge by listening to music?  IMO, there isn't any advantage/disadvantage to it. 

6 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Again, there is a difference between agreeing to allow music to be played by others in your group and the happenstance that music filters over to you from another group or outside source. When someone asks if you mind if they play music and you tell them that it's OK then you just agreed to listening to that music during the round, which violates the rule. However, I would say that is only if you actually hear the music while playing. If they only play it between shots and you aren't around it very often and never during a swing then I'd say it's probably safe to post the round, but if the person playing the music is in your cart and you are around the music for basically the entire round... Well I'd find it hard to believe there is any way around saying that you've been in violation of the rule. 

Even after all that, as stated earlier, I'm more than likely not going to cause a fuss over someone listening to music, I'll just not post the round and enjoy having a chance to play a round with other people as opposed to solo. I choose the err on the side of not posting a round that could be considered played outside the rules, but that's just my philosophy. My wonder is how many people who listen to music while playing that didn't know of the rule will continue to listen and still post their rounds, because I legitimately didn't even know this was a rule before.

It really belongs in the rules forum, but I disagree.  The rule prohibits the use of a device.  If you join a group that is using the device, I just can't see the USGA not allowing you to post your round because you happened to be within earshot of someone else listening to music.

Read the complete decision.  I can't post it now, but it requires that all available facts be taken into account.  It might be interesting to actually pose the question to the USGA, but again, not allowed to post for handicap?  I highly doubt it.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

10 minutes ago, David in FL said:

It really belongs in the rules forum, but I disagree.  The rule prohibits the use of a device.  If you join a group that is using the device, I just can't see the USGA not allowing you to post your round because you happened to be within earshot of someone else listening to music.

Read the complete decision.  I can't post it now, but it requires that all available facts be taken into account.  It might be interesting to actually pose the question to the USGA, but again, not allowed to post for handicap?  I highly doubt it.

You keep saying that, but at least one of the better people at interpreting the rules on this forum has agreed that it would invalidate the round. I don't necessarily agree it belongs in the rules forum either because it is germane to the discussion here about why people my not want others to play music when they are playing with them. *edit* also you keep harping on the "outside device" part, well even if someone else is playing the music it's still coming from an outside device. That stipulation is there so that someone who is singing to themselves or humming isn't found in violation, I would assume. Though I might say that depending on how well the person hummed/sang I would find that more of a distraction that actual music.

12 minutes ago, Grinde6 said:

I listen to music most of the time when I golf.  Most of the time I am by myself though too so it isn't going to be posted anyways.  I would bet that over 75% of people don't realize this is a rules violation and its probably more.  I don't understand the issue with it though.  Is someone really gaining an edge by listening to music?  IMO, there isn't any advantage/disadvantage to it. 

The issue is that it was found to possibly give a calming and/or distracting influence to help people while playing. That's what the USGA ruled at least so what you or I think doesn't make any difference.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

48 minutes ago, David in FL said:

When your group plays music, do none of you post your scores?  Or just the person/persons playing music, in which case I guess you could take turns being the sacrificial lamb?  Or do you not care and post anyways? I'm not going to judge you either way, and it's getting kind of academic at that point, but I think it's an interesting discussion.

For example, if only the person playing music says they won't post, could the rest of the guys just declare that they are not in favor of playing the music so they can post?  That seems like it would be about as valid as....

It's one of those weird things but the rules of golf are mostly well-defined and strict (in a sense), so there must be an answer to how this works.

Edited by drmevo
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, drmevo said:

When your group plays music, do none of you post your scores?  Or just the person/persons playing music, in which case I guess you could take turns being the sacrificial lamb?  Or do you not care and post anyways? I'm not going to judge you either way, and it's getting kind of academic at that point, but I think it's an interesting discussion.

For example, if only the person playing music says they won't post, could the rest of the guys just declare that they are not in favor of playing the music so they can post?  That seems like it would be about as valid as....

It's one of those weird things but the rules of golf are mostly well-defined and strict (in a sense), so there must be an answer to how this works.

This is exactly what I have been thinking. It's almost like saying each person has to play their own music in order for them to have violated the rule.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I'm kinda stunned at this discussion.  I had no idea listening to music was against the rules, it's certainly not at my club, even during tournaments.  I'll continue to play it when I feel like it and post every round.  The music doesn't help or hurt my golfing ability.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

13 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I'm kinda stunned at this discussion.  I had no idea listening to music was against the rules, it's certainly not at my club, even during tournaments.  I'll continue to play it when I feel like it and post every round.  The music doesn't help or hurt my golfing ability.

It doesn't matter what your club says, it's still against the Rules of Golf.  They don't have the option of allowing it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

You can't use music to enhance one's game, but you can use silence to enhance one's game. Interesting. 

Me I have tinnitus in both ears. Does that count as music? :-D

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

3 hours ago, Fourputt said:

You say easy for you to tune it out - that doesn't mean that it's easy for me, or for JeremieB to tune it out.  That's even more true when it's some crappy rap or twangy country stuff - don't care much for classical either.  In that case it's more than just white noise, it's an irritant, like having a sand burr in your skivvies.  It just keeps chafing, and it destroys any possibility for me of focusing on my game.

Rick, I actually agree that playing music at a golf course shouldn't be allowed. I think the courses that allow it are the ones that I'd have a beef with. But because courses allow it, those who choose to play it are not the bad guys - unless they're blasting it. 

AM Talk Radio with lots of static played at full volume - now that's a different story altogether.

2 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Fair enough. If you choose to play with those listening to music and they leave the music playing while you're taking strokes, the round shouldn't be posted. But my opinion is you have to be given a reasonable choice (other than not playing that day).

This is just my opinion. I'd love to hear from a large sample of those who serve on rules committees. But the idea of prohibiting one to post a score based on the unwanted actions of another, do not seem to fit the purpose of the rule.

• Upvote 2

Jon

1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

It doesn't matter what your club says, it's still against the Rules of Golf.  They don't have the option of allowing it.

One of the dumb ones, although I do understand outlawing a metronome.  The only competitive golf I play is here and if they allow it, it's all good with me.  While I do adhere to the RoG by and large, I drop correctly and putt out, play it down, etc., I'm comfortable with my handicap being honest by eschewing this particular dumb rule.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

On 7/29/2016 at 10:08 AM, Fourputt said:

I've said it before, but in a casual round you can have all the music you want as long as I can't hear it.  If I can hear it at any time then it's too loud.  I'm hearing impaired (I wear hearing aids) and I can usually hear music from the next fairway over even when they think that it's only loud enough for them to hear. 

Only as loud as in your car?  At times the music in my car could be heard 3 holes away when certain songs come on.  Since that is about the only time I do listen to my music, I play it pretty loud when I'm driving alone.  When something like Highway Star by Deep Purple comes on, I crank it up and rock, but I don't want to hear that on the golf course.

I don't get it anyway.  I really don't understand why people can't disconnect for 4 hours.  4 hours people!  You can listen in your car, listen when you work out, listen when you walk the dog... on and on ad infinitum.  Why the hell can't you turn it off on the golf course?  Learn to enjoy the music of nature.  The rules don't allow you to listen to music during competition, so why is so necessary in casual rounds?

Totally agree. 100%.

I'm a musician. The last thing I want to hear on the golf course is music. Loud or soft.

But, some people can not endure silence. Must be torture for them.

... and the music coming out of those small speakers has a lot of distortion.  Even good music will sound bad. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

4 hours ago, Patch said:

You can't use music to enhance one's game, but you can use silence to enhance one's game. Interesting. 

Me I have tinnitus in both ears. Does that count as music? :-D

Believe me, Patch. Tinnitus does not count as music. Tinnitus is the never ending screaming hell in my ears and head, that I try to live with each and every day of my life.

Silence is golden.

1 hour ago, CCC said:

Believe me, Patch. Tinnitus does not count as music. Tinnitus is the never ending screaming hell in my ears and head, that I try to live with each and every day of my life.

Silence is golden.

I hear you. I have had mine ever since I was a youngster in the military. Tried every cure their is. The only one that works is just living with it. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!