IGNORED

I think I may be getting to hate golf.

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

It could be in your head, but I would ask you... who is in charge of your head?

In my case, its ruled by a whole big committee of dissenting voices.  When I can get it down to just two or three voices at a time, I do pretty well.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Like everyone has said - we all go through this stage at some point, just some more than other (like me :-P). I know what I'm doing wrong I just struggle to correct it! There's nothing more demoralising that loosing balls. Keep your head up, it'll all come back to you soon :)

1 hour ago, billchao said:

You don't have a "mental block" stopping you from changing your golf swing, but you might not be practicing effectively.

If you can do it in your lesson, you can do it on your own. The hard part is getting the change to become a part of your real swing. That requires changing your "muscle memory," not overcoming some perceived mental obstacle.

I was just about to post this. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

On 8/24/2016 at 1:06 PM, Ernest Jones said:

Don't mistake your flukes for your game.

Right. But at the same time @paininthenuts, the rough patch you're presently experiencing may not be your game either. It's likely somewhere in between and will probably take some effort to bring back.

I think the longer we play, the more we become familiar with our highs and lows.

I shot an 88 last year but immediately realized that, while it was very cool, it was by no means an abrupt improvement in my game. Conversely, I can go through a couple rounds of horrific ball striking with the understanding that once I work on the main issue(s), I'll bounce back to my normal (crappy) game.

Of course, it's always frustrating to play (relatively) poor golf.

Good luck and try to enjoy the journey.

Jon

16 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

It's not luck. I am retired and get to play at least 5 times a week

When I retired at 54, my HI went down by 4 full points in a hurry by playing 5 - 6 times a week.   Then, improvement stopped.   I now have to figure out what I have to do next to improve more.   IMHO, you have got much of the low hanging fruits in the 1st year.   That's a huge achievement at your age even if you are playing almost every day.   Now comes the fun (and frustrating) part of trying to improve more.   It won't be easy.   But the good news is that you have time unlike others.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Sometimes a little time away will help you get your mind right.

Even better is to take a bit away from the game and then come back into it with some sort of new perspective. Maybe decide to take it a bit more casually for a while, or decide to come back with a plan. For instance, I'll take x lessons with y instructor, I'll spend enough time on the range and the putting green, I'll approach rounds a bit different. Something productive like that. 

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

20 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

I was in the same place as u about 9 months ago. My home course was a very tight challenging par 66 golf course. Between the terrible hooking and the complete inability to get the golf ball in the air and the losing of 14 golf balls during one round I absolutely hit rock bottom. I was terribly depressed, angry, and heart broken. Unlike most everyone I know, golf is the only interest I possess other than my family. I own firearms but I do not hunt. I enjoy shooting and bowling over work but Im not overly passionate about either. My round on that given day concluded with me on 18 25 yards before the green aimed away from it. I retrieved the last 9 balls from my bag and hit every single one as hard as I could into the lake!!! I yelled, I cussed, I screamed, I behaved like an absolute lunatic. Broken and ashamed, I returned to my car and swore that no matter what I was done for six weeks. I had lost control and track of my priorities. I was holding golf above all else including my beautiful wife and amazing young son. Im ashamed to admit that esp publicly, but golf had consumed me. It was hell, but for six weeks; no golf channel, no golf browsing, no sand trap visits, didnt touch a golf ball or golf club. After six weeks and re prioritizing my life (getting my shit together) I returned refreshed and re discovered my love for the game. And now Ive dropped 8 strokes from my handicap and have done so while playing much longer more difficult courses. And MOST importantly Ive learned to balance golf with life and things that actually matter. Like family!! If u have reached the point u are at now, u are in danger of becoming me. RUN!!! Dont walk...RUN away from golf before its too late. For six weeks ignore all things golf at any and all costs!! Then come back and see what happens. Hopefully u rekindle your passion, if not, theres no law that says u must play golf. There comes a point where giving it up is the right move. ;) But I bet it doesnt come to that. Best of luck!!!! 

P.s. Golf takes a lot of time away from the ones we love. Spend that extra time with those u cherish most. 

Yep, I as well feel a little bit ashamed looking back. I missed countless soccer and volleyball games, because i wanted to improve so bad. At the time, playing golf was much more important than attending my my daughters sporting events. Shame on me, but golf can be such an addiction. For better or worse.

@paininthenuts sometimes we love golf, and most days golf doesn't love us back.

As @iacas stated with his thread link, follow the 5S practice plan, it really works. If all else fails, follow the philosophy above. Remember, golf is hard.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

No need to worry.. I am pretty new to golf but on some days I really feel like I am improving my game.. the week after I want to quit! It's just a bad day and gets you more motivated to up your game next time! ;-)

Note: This thread is 2799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!