Jump to content
IGNORED

Key finder suggestions - what do you use?


nevets88
 Share

Note: This thread is 1952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

  • Moderator

I've gone through many and am not happy with any of them. They break easily, start malfunctioning after awhile, you can't take out the battery on some, the sound it emits is too weak. Wirecutter's best pick, Tile, I'm not happy with. Trackr has poor reviews on Amazon. Anyone find a decent key tracking device?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

I don't use any. My wife used a Tile for awhile, but they wear out quickly and are kind of a pain since they only track when the app is open (maybe that's improved?).

Generally not a fan of these.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
2 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't use any. My wife used a Tile for awhile, but they wear out quickly and are kind of a pain since they only track when the app is open (maybe that's improved?).

Generally not a fan of these.

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree.  Getting tired of trying different ones at $30 a pop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

Just designate a specific spot to put your keys at home and get in the habit of putting them there.

I put my stuff in drawers and bins that aren't really organized, but since I put specific things in specific places, I always know where they are (or should be until someone moves them on me).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
18 minutes ago, billchao said:

Just designate a specific spot to put your keys at home and get in the habit of putting them there.

I put my stuff in drawers and bins that aren't really organized, but since I put specific things in specific places, I always know where they are (or should be until someone moves them on me).

Thanks, this is what I do, I'm pretty good with not losing keys (although I did drop a set down an elevator shaft, but that's a story for some other time), it's for the older persuasion in my family, their memory is not what it use to be and not disciplined enough to set keys in a designated place. The one they're using actually has saved a lot of time, but looking for alternatives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, David in FL said:

What's a key finder?  A device to help find lost car keys?  I didn't even know that there were such things.

How in the world have I survived all these years?  :-\

Agree with @David in FL

Have you tried putting them in your pocket?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
57 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Agree with @David in FL

Have you tried putting them in your pocket?

Again, it's not for me, but getting on in years relatives who aren't as mentally sharp as they used to be. 

In all fairness, when you find your missing item using this device in 15 seconds instead of searching for 15 minutes, it does prove its worth.

When you add in the crowdsourcing range, it's even more powerful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

55 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Again, it's not for me, but getting on in years relatives who aren't as mentally sharp as they used to be. 

In all fairness, when you find your missing item using this device in 15 seconds instead of searching for 15 minutes, it does prove its worth.

When you add in the crowdsourcing range, it's even more powerful.

I really wasn't trying to be snarky...well, maybe just a little.  :-P

Now that I know what a key finder is, I've gotta ask.  What the hell is crowd sourcing range?  Is that like calling your lost cell phone to see if anyone hears it and picks up?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Now that I know what a key finder is, I've gotta ask.  What the hell is crowd sourcing range?  Is that like calling your list cell phone to see if anyone hears it and picks up?

As people sign up for the service, their cell phones are used to track not just their own Tiles, but others.  So if you lose your keys somewhere on the street, if they are close to the cell phone of anyone who signs up for the service, they can be found.

Capture.JPG

It's a neat idea...and no potential at all for hacking, abuse, or knotty legal situations.  ;-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Huh.  Pretty cool.  The things I learn on this site! 

Are these things in such wide use that there's actually a high likelihood of that happening regularly?

Uhhhh, more so in New York City than Erie, PA, but… occasionally, sure, yeah.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
29 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Huh.  Pretty cool.  The things I learn here!

Are these things in such wide use that there's actually a high likelihood of that happening regularly?

Search on key finder in Amazon and see how many products are available and how many customer reviews there are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 3 months later...
  • Moderator

If this helps anyone, I bought the newest gen Tile, the small one and a Chipolo, which has a removable battery. Both are working well, the Chipolo makes a louder noise. If I had to recommend one, it would be the Chipolo, but it's only been 3 months, the real test is how it holds up in a year. They have saved my family lots of time key hunting on the way out. When you get old, your memory goes, I hope I won't need these things in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

58 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

When you get old, your memory goes

So True, lol

Have you looked at any of the BT tags?
They are inexpensive. Less than 6 bucks on EBay.

Bluetooth Tracer Smart Finder Pet Child GPS Locator Alarm Wallet Key Tracker WP
This anti-lost adopts latest bluetooth 4.0 low consumption technology,
and through corresponding app to realize all the functions.
It can effectively protect your kids, pets or valuables form being stolen or lost within 75ft effective distance range,
when out of this range your phone and it will automatically ring for a timely warning.
It can also be used as a excellent remote control of your smart phone camera for self-portrait .
The ultra small size and light weight ensures maximum convenience and portability.

Specifications:
Bluetooth: V4.0
Working distance: 75ft
Material: ABS
Color: Black, White, Blue, Green, Red
Size: 31mm x 31mm
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
3 hours ago, Club Rat said:

So True, lol

Have you looked at any of the BT tags?
They are inexpensive. Less than 6 bucks on EBay.

Bluetooth Tracer Smart Finder Pet Child GPS Locator Alarm Wallet Key Tracker WP
This anti-lost adopts latest bluetooth 4.0 low consumption technology,
and through corresponding app to realize all the functions.
It can effectively protect your kids, pets or valuables form being stolen or lost within 75ft effective distance range,
when out of this range your phone and it will automatically ring for a timely warning.
It can also be used as a excellent remote control of your smart phone camera for self-portrait .
The ultra small size and light weight ensures maximum convenience and portability.

Specifications:
Bluetooth: V4.0
Working distance: 75ft
Material: ABS
Color: Black, White, Blue, Green, Red
Size: 31mm x 31mm
 

Tried one of the cheaper ones, it fell apart in 6 months, but that's not to say none of the cheaper ones aren't good. Have been meaning to test others, but basically went with Wirecutter recommendations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...