IGNORED

Key finder suggestions - what do you use?

nevets88
Note:Β This thread is 2612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I've gone through many and am not happy with any of them. They break easily, start malfunctioning after awhile, you can't take out the battery on some, the sound it emits is too weak. Wirecutter's best pick, Tile, I'm not happy with. Trackr has poor reviews on Amazon. Anyone find a decent key tracking device?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I don't use any. My wife used a Tile for awhile, but they wear out quickly and are kind of a pain since they only track when the app is open (maybe that's improved?).

Generally not a fan of these.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't use any. My wife used a Tile for awhile, but they wear out quickly and are kind of a pain since they only track when the app is open (maybe that's improved?).

Generally not a fan of these.

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree. Β Getting tired of trying different ones at $30 a pop.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just designate a specific spot to put your keys at home and get in the habit of putting them there.

I put my stuff in drawers and bins that aren't really organized, but since I put specific things in specific places, I always know where they are (or should be until someone moves them on me).

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

One of the benefits of living in a very rural area for me.

The vehicle keys stay in it at all times and at least one door on the house is unlocked...

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

18 minutes ago, billchao said:

Just designate a specific spot to put your keys at home and get in the habit of putting them there.

I put my stuff in drawers and bins that aren't really organized, but since I put specific things in specific places, I always know where they are (or should be until someone moves them on me).

Thanks, this is what I do, I'm pretty good with not losing keys (although I did drop a set down an elevator shaft, but that's a story for some other time), it's for the older persuasion in my family, their memoryΒ is not what it useΒ to be and not disciplined enough to set keys in a designated place. The one they'reΒ using actually has saved a lot of time, but looking for alternatives.

Steve

What's a key finder? Β A device to help find lost car keys? Β I didn't even know that there were such things.

How in the world have I survived all these years?Β Β :-\

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

16 minutes ago, David in FL said:

What's a key finder? Β A device to help find lost car keys? Β I didn't even know that there were such things.

How in the world have I survived all these years?Β Β :-\

Agree withΒ @David in FL

Have you tried putting them inΒ your pocket?

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

57 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Agree withΒ @David in FL

Have you tried putting them inΒ your pocket?

Again, it's not for me, but getting on in years relatives who aren't as mentally sharp as they used to be.Β 

In all fairness, when you find your missing item using this device in 15 seconds instead of searching for 15 minutes, it does prove its worth.

When you add in the crowdsourcing range, it's even more powerful.

Steve

Wish I could be more helpful, but I also have never used one.Β 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

55 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Again, it's not for me, but getting on in years relatives who aren't as mentally sharp as they used to be.Β 

In all fairness, when you find your missing item using this device in 15 seconds instead of searching for 15 minutes, it does prove its worth.

When you add in the crowdsourcing range, it's even more powerful.

I really wasn't trying to be snarky...well, maybe just a little. Β :-P

Now that I know what a key finder is, I've gotta ask. Β What the hell is crowd sourcing range? Β Is that like calling your lostΒ cell phone to see if anyone hears it and picks up?

Β 

In David's bag....

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind

3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Now that I know what a key finder is, I've gotta ask. Β What the hell is crowd sourcing range? Β Is that like calling your list cell phone to see if anyone hears it and picks up?

As people sign up for the service, their cell phones are used to track not just their own Tiles, but others.Β  So if you lose your keys somewhere on the street, if they are close to the cell phone of anyone who signs up for the service, they can be found.

Capture.JPG

It's a neat idea...and no potential at all for hacking, abuse, or knotty legal situations.Β  ;-)

- John

Huh. Β Pretty cool. Β The things I learn here!

Are these things in such wide use that there's actually a high likelihood of that happening regularly?

In David's bag....

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Huh. Β Pretty cool. Β The things I learn on this site!Β 

Are these things in such wide use that there's actually a high likelihood of that happening regularly?

Uhhhh, more so in New York City than Erie, PA, but… occasionally, sure, yeah.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

29 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Huh. Β Pretty cool. Β The things I learn here!

Search on key finder in Amazon and see how many products are available and how many customer reviews there are.

Steve

• 3 months later...

If this helps anyone, I bought the newest gen Tile, the small one and a Chipolo, which has a removable battery. Both are working well, the Chipolo makes a louder noise. If I had to recommend one, it would be the Chipolo, but it's only been 3 months, the real test is how it holds up in a year. They have saved my family lots of time key hunting on the way out. When you get old, your memory goes, I hope I won't need these things in the future.

Steve

58 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

When you get old, your memory goes

So True, lol

Have you looked at any of the BT tags?
They are inexpensive. Less than 6 bucks on EBay.

Bluetooth Tracer Smart Finder Pet Child GPS Locator Alarm Wallet Key Tracker WP
This anti-lost adopts latest bluetooth 4.0 low consumption technology,
and through corresponding app to realize all the functions.
It can effectively protect your kids, pets or valuables form being stolen or lost within 75ft effective distance range,
when out of this range your phone and it will automatically ring for a timely warning.
It can also be used as a excellent remote control of your smart phone camera for self-portrait .
The ultra small size and light weight ensures maximum convenience and portability.

Specifications:
Bluetooth: V4.0
Working distance: 75ft
Material: ABS
Color: Black, White, Blue, Green, Red
Size: 31mm x 31mm
Β 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

3 hours ago, Club Rat said:

So True, lol

Have you looked at any of the BT tags?
They are inexpensive. Less than 6 bucks on EBay.

Bluetooth Tracer Smart Finder Pet Child GPS Locator Alarm Wallet Key Tracker WP
This anti-lost adopts latest bluetooth 4.0 low consumption technology,
and through corresponding app to realize all the functions.
It can effectively protect your kids, pets or valuables form being stolen or lost within 75ft effective distance range,
when out of this range your phone and it will automatically ring for a timely warning.
It can also be used as a excellent remote control of your smart phone camera for self-portrait .
The ultra small size and light weight ensures maximum convenience and portability.

Specifications:
Bluetooth: V4.0
Working distance: 75ft
Material: ABS
Color: Black, White, Blue, Green, Red
Size: 31mm x 31mm
Β 

Tried one of the cheaper ones, it fell apart in 6 months, but that's not to say none of the cheaper ones aren't good. Have been meaning to test others, but basically went with Wirecutter recommendations.

Steve

Note:Β This thread is 2612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!