IGNORED

My Swing (Blackjack Don)

Blackjack Don
Note: This thread is 2397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, Blackjack Don said:

So sorry, man, but if I can't figure out the system, I'm going to find it much harder to make the system work as a whole.

That's not how this works. You don't need to know how the system works. You need to know one thing: your priority piece and how to fix it.

Missing pieces and the whole thing will fall apart. One thing leads to another, then to another--from when we step up to the ball until we finish, as long as the finish isn't cut off--it's a process with a lot of moving parts. I'm not sure if I have them all, yet, and which ones are more important than others.

You're never going to have them all.

For instance, where are you on aiming point? Forward divot? Hitting down on the ball? Is that important if the angle is too steep? The left arm isn't on plane? Etc etc. Everything has to flow, but there are many parts to practice individually, no?

No.

Where I am on those things is both easy for you to find, and also almost completely unimportant.

And…

We think statically. This is how the brain operates. The swing is dynamic, and happens faster than the conscious mind can handle. It has to be done by the autopilot. We practice one thing at a time, so the mind doesn't have to intercede. It "knows."

You're not practicing one thing at a time. You're asking questions and seeking knowledge that's completely irrelevant to your one priority task right now.

That's what I think. I could be wrong, but not so much about how the mind works.

You're not really demonstrating that you know how the mind works here… because the golf swing is not at all about how the mind works.

The golf swing is about how the body works.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Blackjack Don said:

Could you elaborate on the other pieces which address impact? Thanks. 

For you it would be turning the hips and not swaying.

ANY priority piece a good instructor give you is tied to achieving a better impact.

1 hour ago, Blackjack Don said:

Okay, I get that part. I wouldn't argue that point at all. I'm still gathering all the parts of the full swing. There are a lot of moving parts, aren't there? But I do get that everyone who knows what they are doing is contributing, even when it's later discarded.

So sorry, man, but if I can't figure out the system, I'm going to find it much harder to make the system work as a whole. Missing pieces and the whole thing will fall apart. One thing leads to another, then to another--from when we step up to the ball until we finish, as long as the finish isn't cut off--it's a process with a lot of moving parts. I'm not sure if I have them all, yet, and which ones are more important than others.

For instance, where are you on aiming point? Forward divot? Hitting down on the ball? Is that important if the angle is too steep? The left arm isn't on plane? Etc etc. Everything has to flow, but there are many parts to practice individually, no?

Ok I'm going to be honest, this really pisses me off. @iacas and I have tried to help you and this is what we get back?

You have ONE thing to work on, turn your hips in place. 

How many times have you done the wall drill?

It amazes me you haven't posted a video of you at least practicing the hip turn or doing the wall drill.

How much time have you wasted worrying or watching videos about crap that doesn't matter?

Spend time on the things that matter. Again for you that would be TURN THE HIPS, DON'T SWAY.

Nobody has ever gotten good at golf trying to think the way you're thinking.

If you want to improve I'm happy to help. But I'm not going to keep wasting my time if you want to make the simple things super complicated.

So the ball is in your court and you don't have any excuses. You've been given a priority piece and a drill to work on by a guy that trains instructors and is ranked in Golf Digest and you live in a place with some of the best instructors in the world.

• Upvote 3

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Sorry, man. I'm just a poor blackjack dealer who makes minimum wage. I'm old and not very athletic anymore I'm stiff and I am doing the best I can. I appreciate the help. I can't for the life of me understand why there is only one way here, but okay. I spend time standing at a dead three card poker table turning my hips. I don't even have a wall in my apartment to do the wall drill! But I'm trying.

Lighten up, Francis. If you haven't figured it out yet, different people have different ways of learning. It's been studied. But I'll keep doing the drills I can do. Thanks.

I got video today to post. If it doesn't look like I'm making progress, then I'll just move along. All I can say is I'm hitting the ball better than I ever have.

Wayne

44 minutes ago, Blackjack Don said:

I'm old and not very athletic anymore I'm stiff and I am doing the best I can.

So with that in mind does it make more sense to,

1. Work on one piece that will have a "domino" effect on helping the downswing/impact 

2. Work on a bunch of different things at once, one of them being having a firm left wrist at impact, something you can't really control.

3. Work on a bunch of different things at once while searching for different answers that aren't specific to your swing.

51 minutes ago, Blackjack Don said:

I'm just a poor blackjack dealer who makes minimum wage.

Evolvr is $49/mo.

And you're getting a lot of free advice here.

52 minutes ago, Blackjack Don said:

I can't for the life of me understand why there is only one way here, but okay.

There isn't "one way", it's a priority piece. You work on that until it gets better and move on to the next thing.

It's doesn't make sense to work on impact or the downswing right now because with where you are on the backswing a functional downswing can't be achieved. BTW, there are a variety of functional backswing positions, 

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks for all the help I've gotten in my swing thread. Today's practice was the best yet, I was hitting the ball very well. Even the driver, which almost qualifies as a miracle. The misses I can live with. I'll keep working on the pivot. Get stronger with core exercises, too. 

Thanks for all the fish.

Don

Edited by Blackjack Don
  • Upvote 2

Wayne

• Administrator

01.jpg

6 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

Thanks for all the fish.

Wow. Dude, you're being a jerk.

You're not being given fish. You're being taught to fish (golf).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

Thanks for all the help I've gotten in my swing thread. Today's practice was the best yet, I was hitting the ball very well. Even the driver, which almost qualifies as a miracle. The misses I can live with. I'll keep working on the pivot. Get stronger with core exercises, too. 

Thanks for all the fish.

Don

So, where did all the Dolphin's go anyway? 

Cool that things are working for you. Hope that you continue to improve. This site does offer a lot of help for golfers...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 hours ago, iacas said:

01.jpg

Wow. Dude, you're being a jerk.

You're not being given fish. You're being taught to fish (golf).

"Obviously you are not a fisherman, sir."

" Thanks for all the fish"

This quote was from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. If you don't recognize the other quote, I can't help you.

:-)

Wayne

On second thought, no. No. I'm not being a jerk. In fact, I have gone out of my way to be an agreeable person. I have disagreed, and perhaps that is intolerable. It appears to be. And you guy have gotten a reputation for this. I heard you were a nice guy, man, but not calling people jerks. For disagreeing with you. Asking too many questions.

I get it you're trying to sell your services. Good for you. I hope you are wildly successful. You seem like good guys, a little chippy, perhaps, but decent fellows. Not calling people jerks, mind you, but we'll let it go.

Thank you for helping me become a better golfer. I was seriously considering joining your teaching site. It would actually be quite expensive for me. I'm a working stiff, not a country club-type person. I work hard for the below median income I make, so fifty bucks a month, on top of my monthly range fees and discounted greens fees, means I am spending a substantial sum of my income on golf. I'll forgo vacations and stay home and play golf.

I have improved and will improve. I appreciate the help. Mike helped more, but he's mad at me. Because I'm not listening or something.

Good luck. I'll be moving on now. I wish you all the best.

Namasakan

Wayne

2 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

I heard you were a nice guy, man, but not calling people jerks. For disagreeing with you. Asking too many questions.

That's not why you were called a jerk. @iacas probably thought, as I did when I just read it, that it was more of reference to this quote, "You give a poor man a fish and you feed him for a day. You teach him to fish and you give him an occupation that will feed him for a lifetime".

Which could be interpreted that all we did was give you "tips" and not actually help you.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

5 hours ago, mvmac said:

"You give a poor man a fish and you feed him for a day. You teach him to fish and you give him an occupation that will feed him for a lifetime".

Which could be interpreted that all we did was give you "tips" and not actually help you.

I thought the same. This phrase is much more common.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have a vague familiarity with Hitchiker's Guide to The Galaxy. My brother enjoyed those books and talked about it far more than anyone wanted to listen.

Our fella has a weird sense of humor and it didn't meet the right audience this time.

Looking it up, I got this from Wikipedia.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish is the fourth book of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'cycle' written by Douglas Adams. Its title is the message left by the dolphins when they departed Planet Earth just before it was demolished to make way for a hyperspace bypass, as described in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The phrase has since been adopted by some science fiction fans as a humorous way to say "goodbye" and a song of the same name was featured in the 2005 film adaptation of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

"Obviously you are not a fisherman, sir."

" Thanks for all the fish"

This quote was from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. If you don't recognize the other quote, I can't help you.

I didn't take it that way. I know the HGG quote, and that it's a way of saying "goodbye." That's not exactly "cool" though either: Mike tells you he's mad at you, I demonstrate that your impact conditions and backswing are worse, and you say "okay, goodbye."

But yeah, I took it this way:

6 hours ago, mvmac said:

That's not why you were called a jerk. @iacas probably thought, as I did when I just read it, that it was more of reference to this quote, "You give a poor man a fish and you feed him for a day. You teach him to fish and you give him an occupation that will feed him for a lifetime".

That fits quite well since you keep talking about how you have to know and understand the whole system just to implement a piece, and about how your brain works that way, and so on.

How I took the fish quote is pretty clear from the response, is it not?

All that said, I apologize. I took it the wrong way. I reacted more strongly than I would have had I taken it the HGG way, and I'm sorry for that.

On second thought, no. No. I'm not being a jerk. In fact, I have gone out of my way to be an agreeable person. I have disagreed, and perhaps that is intolerable. It appears to be. And you guy have gotten a reputation for this. I heard you were a nice guy, man, but not calling people jerks. For disagreeing with you. Asking too many questions.

Disagreement isn't intolerable at all. But you're not really disagreeing with anything, either… you're choosing to ignore things, and you seem to think that you're not being helped. You're wasting our time. Disagreement? At least there's discourse there. Ignoring? That's just a (small) slap in the face…

I get it you're trying to sell your services.

Mike and I - and others - have given you a boatload of free advice. I can't speak for others, but I don't expect you to pay for anything, ever.

I have improved and will improve. I appreciate the help. Mike helped more, but he's mad at me. Because I'm not listening or something.

When all else fails, play the victim card again?

Anyone who has met @mvmac will tell you he's not quick to anger. So if you pissed him off, well, then more than likely you did something, and are not just some passive victim.

P.S. You're likely getting better because you're hitting balls. You're learning how to make the flaws in your swing at least time themselves up right. You're learning to time your flip just right so that you can pick the ball off the ground without fatting or thinning it. You're learning how to sway your hips and drop your head back/early extend on the downswing so you can hit out a little bit despite being super steep (and you need a really closed stance to help you with that).

You're getting better at making a flawed swing because you're repeating it often. You're lowering the ceiling on how good you can get each time you visit the range and don't practice properly, or practice the proper things.

Your swing may actually be worse now than a week or two ago. We tried to help you - free, and by giving you much of our most valuable asset (our time) - and you instead pissed off one of the calmest people around and ignored the advice of many others, including me, who knows what I'm talking about.

Then you chose to play the victim after a vague reference to fish, and took the easy out of saying "oh, you just don't like people who disagree." No, I don't like people who waste my time, but the solution on my end is very easy: I simply choose to stop wasting my time on them. I don't care if you disagree. I prefer it, really, so long as you're a worthy adversary. You? You don't stack up. We can't talk about some intricate part of the golf swing. Nor should you at this point, or possibly ever, because you're a golfer, not a golf instructor. That's all fine. But I can choose to stop giving you free advice, and spending my time doing it.

So if your goal is to have me ignore you from here on out, you've succeeded! :-) I'll spend my time helping those who appreciate it.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

Maybe not a jerk-Though if he took it the way he did then yes a jerk-But nobody is pissed at you for asking too many questions.

The point is that you do not need to know the whole system and worrying about the answers to the questions you keep asking will do nothing to help you improve at golf.-YOu do not seem to care about the opinions and experience of others even though they know far more than you but you should. Asking a question about something unrelated to the thing you are working on now is not how you get better at golf the fastest or best.-Like others told you several times.

I do not think anyone has been a jerk here but Don you have repeatedly been dismissive and not read what people are saying to you.-You are dense in a way that I can see people finding irritating when they are trying to help you.

• Upvote 2

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I just wanted to say, many of us have fallen into "chasing the rabbit". We get told to work on X, but then we say "what about this thing I saw?" "how about this thing I read" "my friend told me about this", etc etc so on and so forth. But every single person that has actually made significant improvements finally was able to calm their thoughts and focus on the single priority that was given to them. As they master each priority a new one is given. While, I agree, it can be frustrating to not "know everything" about your swing that needs fixed, once you learn to accept the process you'll see just how much faster and more permanent improvements start coming. You can choose to continue availing yourself of the knowledge and instruction provided for free here or not, but I hope you do find a way to improve your game so that you can continue enjoying golf.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

On 2/20/2017 at 10:56 PM, Blackjack Don said:

I get it you're trying to sell your services. Good for you. I hope you are wildly successful. You seem like good guys, a little chippy, perhaps, but decent fellows. Not calling people jerks, mind you, but we'll let it go.

Thank you for helping me become a better golfer. I was seriously considering joining your teaching site. It would actually be quite expensive for me. I'm a working stiff, not a country club-type person. I work hard for the below median income I make, so fifty bucks a month, on top of my monthly range fees and discounted greens fees, means I am spending a substantial sum of my income on golf. I'll forgo vacations and stay home and play golf.

Good luck. I'll be moving on now. I wish you all the best.

Namasakan

You said you were a blackjack dealer in Vegas. It's not hard to make anywhere from 50-90k in Vegas as such. 

19 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

You said you were a blackjack dealer in Vegas. It's not hard to make anywhere from 50-90k in Vegas as such. 

Found this...

http://www1.salary.com/NV/Las-Vegas/Blackjack-Dealer-salary.html

• Upvote 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Note: This thread is 2397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!