IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, rkim291968 said:

@rrives,

Looks like a solid bogey golfer round to me.   I've checked out a few of your Game Golf stats.   You got a lot of room on lengthening your drive.  Once you do that, I am sure your GIR will go up, and improve your HI.  

Agreed.  I am 52 and currently average around 190.   Any tips on getting more length?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, rrives said:

Agreed.  I am 52 and currently average around 190.   Any tips on getting more length?

One would have to see your swing to give advice.  Do you have a "MySwing" thread?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

@rrives,

Looks like a solid bogey golfer round to me.   I've checked out a few of your Game Golf stats.   You got a lot of room on lengthening your drive.  Once you do that, I am sure your GIR will go up, and improve your HI.  

This is not something you can do "just like that", but it can be improved over time.

35 minutes ago, rrives said:

Age by itself is probably not as much a factor as flexibility and strength. Both of these things can be improved with time.

Have you checked out 5SK on this site?

1 minute ago, No Mulligans said:

One would have to see your swing to give advice.  Do you have a "MySwing" thread?

Agree, and I've been pretty delinquent about updating mine too. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, rrives said:

The low hanging fruits I did - upgrade driver to fit my swing, and do golf specific workout (weights, and other exercises designed to improve flexibility and strength).   I think these two added 10 - 15 yards to my driver distance for sure.   I had a blog type thread on this sometime ago if you are interested in checking it out.

The "high" hanging fruit is working on swing mechanics as other posters suggested.    

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

23 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Don't have a swing thread. Something I will ad after work slows down next month

This week for some unknown reason it all came together for me and I had the best round and week of golf in my life.  On Tuesday I shot an 89, on Thursday a 91, and Friday an 83.

Friday's round could have been my first round under 80 if not for 2 lost ball penalties on the back 9 due to piles of leaves in the rough.  I shot a 40 on the front nine and started the back nine with 2 pars and 2 bogey's.  I hooked my drive on 14 a bit and it landed on the fairway but rolled off into the rough.  I had a pretty good idea of where it landed but we couldn't find it in the piles of leaves so I took the penalty for a lost ball and ended up with a double bogey on that hole.  I triple bogeyed 16 after losing another ball to the leaves and a flyer approach shot that flew over the green.  I finished with a 43 on the back nine.

I knew breaking 80 was a long shot but seeing that 40 on the front nine led me to think it might be possible.  It was a great golf week, one that will inspire me to work hard over the winter on indoor simulators to improve.  Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how one views handicaps, I couldn't post any of my scores from this week because the season ended Oct 31.

Joe Paradiso

On November 7, 2015 at 11:46:26 PM, newtogolf said:

This week for some unknown reason it all came together for me and I had the best round and week of golf in my life.  On Tuesday I shot an 89, on Thursday a 91, and Friday an 83.

Friday's round could have been my first round under 80 if not for 2 lost ball penalties on the back 9 due to piles of leaves in the rough.  I shot a 40 on the front nine and started the back nine with 2 pars and 2 bogey's.  I hooked my drive on 14 a bit and it landed on the fairway but rolled off into the rough.  I had a pretty good idea of where it landed but we couldn't find it in the piles of leaves so I took the penalty for a lost ball and ended up with a double bogey on that hole.  I triple bogeyed 16 after losing another ball to the leaves and a flyer approach shot that flew over the green.  I finished with a 43 on the back nine.

I knew breaking 80 was a long shot but seeing that 40 on the front nine led me to think it might be possible.  It was a great golf week, one that will inspire me to work hard over the winter on indoor simulators to improve.  Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how one views handicaps, I couldn't post any of my scores from this week because the season ended Oct 31.

Nice rounds.  

On 11/7/2015, 9:46:26, newtogolf said:

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how one views handicaps, I couldn't post any of my scores from this week because the season ended Oct 31.

Outstanding on the recent rounds, congrats!  

(I called the above a forced sandbagging ;-))

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

32 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

Outstanding on the recent rounds, congrats! 

(I called the above a forced sandbagging ;-))

Thanks, hopefully it carries over to next year when I can post score again.

Joe Paradiso

Been working on the game, reading threads here.  I fit 9 in today on a shorter course (2700 for 9 holes).  Was 3 over through 8 and the claim to fame was driving a dogleg left par 4 - but missed the eagle putt.  Then hole 9 came around - 400 yards all uphill.  First 2 put me at 80 yards out (duffed my second shot).  Pulled the sand wedge... and bladed it.  ARRRGGG got back on the green with shot 4.  The bogey putt hit the edge and rolled on downhill.  The uphill hit the edge of the cup too... Then 2 footer didn't fall.... I managed to hit the 1" putt.  Ended up 7 over for the 9 hole round.  I never should have looked at the score after hole 8.  

Was playing a game of hit the target with a couple of pros yesterday at the driving range. 130 yds. One was using a PW, the other an easy 8i, I used a 9i. After about 15 shots each the guy using the PW hit the target dead on. I came real close a couple of times. It was good practice to make sure I had all my fundamentals in order making solid contact and getting my weight forward.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Ranting ....

After the last swing lesson, my HI went up almost immediately.  Instead of low 90s, I scored in high 90s while I went through the swing adjustment.   I now got the hang of the latest swing tweak and got my scores back to low 90s.   Today, I took another lesson and, yes, I have to get used to another swing tweak.   I expect my HI to go up again before I can get it back to low 90s or better (isn't this the point?).   It will take about 4 weeks if past results are any indication.  And in 4 weeks, yes, I have another swing lesson.   I have to stop taking lessons :~(.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Played on Saturday and as I predicted, I had a pretty bad round of 103 while struggling between old and new swing.  

Played on Sunday but decided not to keep score and just practice on my new swing.   It rained all morning, and the forecast was up to 21 MPH gust of winds.   That made it even more "fun."  I must have scored over a 100 given number of big numbers - triples and quads.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Shot a 90 yesterday where I walked up cold and rushed to the first tee because I was getting squeezed in for a tee time. Made a mess of the first 4 holes.  Shot a 50 out, but a 40 on the much harder back 9 after getting warmed up and my putting got hot (drained 3 10+ foot putts on the back 9 and only missed one putt I should've made). After the round, I replayed the first 4 holes again before it got dark (as well as the 9th which was another hot mess the first time through). Played those holes in 7 strokes fewer than the first time out. So the potential for something like an 83 is there for the taking. Just need to put together a solid round of smart play which is doable now that the irons came around. 

Handicap is down to 20.3. Would've been sub-20 with an 85. Getting close. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Finished my season with a 49-40=89 !

I was playing with the club regulars and they play a money game from the 6,400 yard tees. My drives only go about 220 right now, so this is a stretch for me. I usually play the 5,800 yard set. 

Anyway, I could not believe the way I ended my season with a 40 on the back. Great feeling. First time breaking 90 from that set of tees. Hope I can carry that feeling over to next season. 

- Mark

20 hours ago, Braivo said:

Finished my season with a 49-40=89 !

I was playing with the club regulars and they play a money game from the 6,400 yard tees. My drives only go about 220 right now, so this is a stretch for me. I usually play the 5,800 yard set. 

Anyway, I could not believe the way I ended my season with a 40 on the back. Great feeling. First time breaking 90 from that set of tees. Hope I can carry that feeling over to next season. 

Bravo! @Braivo.    Are you doing anything to maintain your game during winter?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

4 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

Bravo! @Braivo.    Are you doing anything to maintain your game during winter?

Thanks. I swing a club every night in my living room. It was actually this practice that helped me adjust my set up and see these improvements. That's about all I can do in my area, no indoor ranges nearby. I may try to join a simulator league. 

- Mark

7 minutes ago, Braivo said:

Thanks. I swing a club every night in my living room. It was actually this practice that helped me adjust my set up and see these improvements. That's about all I can do in my area, no indoor ranges nearby. I may try to join a simulator league. 

Last week, I placed a mirror in my living room so that I can do some mirror work.  I admire my golf form in the mirror but can't replicate that feeling in field. Sigh.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 1026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!