IGNORED

Jim Furyk Officially 2018 U.S. Ryder Cup Captain

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, CarlSpackler said:

NO!!!! 

Look at it this way: it means he won't be playing.

• Upvote 1

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

its become similar to Bartmitzva (spelling?).  Pro golfers right of passage

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

4 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Look at it this way: it means he won't be playing.

I'm thinking that we might as well forfeit. I like the guy, but don't think he has the moxie. JMO.

- Shane

Is there a reason it's always a former player?  And for only (typically) the one time?  If you look at other sports, most coaches aren't former players....some are for sure, but most didn't play the sport at a high level.  If they came to you and said, you get $1MM if the US wins the ryder cup and you get to pick the captain, who you  picking?  I think I'd consider some non-golfers.

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I'm thinking that we might as well forfeit. I like the guy, but don't think he has the moxie. JMO.

I don't think Davis Love III ever stuck out as a huge leader type. Nor have many of the European captains.

I don't think the actual captain matters too much.

5 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

Is there a reason it's always a former player?  And for only (typically) the one time?  If you look at other sports, most coaches aren't former players....some are for sure, but most didn't play the sport at a high level.  If they came to you and said, you get $1MM if the US wins the ryder cup and you get to pick the captain, who you  picking?  I think I'd consider some non-golfers.

Because it's largely ceremonial. It's still, at the core, an exhibition.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Because it's largely ceremonial. It's still, at the core, an exhibition

Sure, makes sense.  Watching the players and fans passion and reactions it sure has turned into a highly competitive exhibition.

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

46 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think Davis Love III ever stuck out as a huge leader type. Nor have many of the European captains.

I don't think the actual captain matters too much.

DL III has a confident walk and air about him. He has a glare that can be equated to hardened steel. I think it does matter. For the younger players like Reid and Spieth who grew up watching him, it can be very inspiring to know that you are backed by a strong leader. Furyk... well... I don't see anything close to those qualities. He walks with a slouch and his stare wouldn't scare a squirrel.

I don't know these guys personally so the basis of my opinion is questionable, but it's my opinion for whatever it's worth.

- Shane

1 minute ago, CarlSpackler said:

I think it does matter. For the younger players like Reid and Spieth who grew up watching him, it can be very inspiring to know that you are backed by a strong leader.

I've never understood this.  For a couple of reasons.  These guys are professionals, for one.  Secondly, this event means a lot to all of them - many, if not most, have this as one of their main goals every two years.

Do you really think that they need extra inspiration or motivation to go out and do their best?

Where it might matter is in how they pair the guys and how they prepare, but I don't think anybody is hurting for inspiration.

Just now, Golfingdad said:

I've never understood this.  For a couple of reasons.  These guys are professionals, for one.  Secondly, this event means a lot to all of them - many, if not most, have this as one of their main goals every two years.

Do you really think that they need extra inspiration or motivation to go out and do their best?

Where it might matter is in how they pair the guys and how they prepare, but I don't think anybody is hurting for inspiration.

They are professionals, but they are also people. It's probably different for each player, but I wouldn't underestimate the added bonus of having a strong leader that exudes confidence.

Let me add that emotions, both high and low, run very high in Ryder Cup matches. It's not your typical PGA Tour event.

- Shane

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Right. And that should be mostly now a matter of repeating the patterns that the USA has sought to establish with the "task force" stuff. I get the feeling that the Euro side is just operating from a playbook (and maybe the likes of Nick Faldo didn't stick to it as much as they should have, for ego reasons perhaps?), so it almost doesn't matter who is the captain. And now maybe the USA will be a bit more like that.

12 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

They are professionals, but they are also people. It's probably different for each player, but I wouldn't underestimate the added bonus of having a strong leader that exudes confidence.

Let me add that emotions, both high and low, run very high in Ryder Cup matches. It's not your typical PGA Tour event.

I think the European captains does a pretty good job of dismissing your theory.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think the European captains does a pretty good job of dismissing your theory.

It's an opinion, not a theory. 

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

I don't know these guys personally so the basis of my opinion is questionable, but it's my opinion for whatever it's worth.

- Shane

• Administrator
3 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

It's an opinion, not a theory. 

Okay. Swap the words and I'll say the same thing. :-)

I was about to come in here and say "Great news. He won't be playing!" but apparently a few (dozen) people beat me to it. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I actually think Furyk is the perfect Ryder Cup captain. Guys don't need or want a hard ass leader (look at Tom Watson & Nick Faldo). They want someone they like and respect to rally around. Furyk has an easy going persona, but he's close enough to today's elite, that he can command their respect.

I agree with those that think that the Ryder Cup captains don't really matter. But to the 5-10% extent that they do, a guy like Furyk is a great choice, IMO.

• Upvote 3

Note: This thread is 2630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!