IGNORED

Balls in a Position to Assist on the Putting Green

SCDuffer
Note: This thread is 2594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Rulesman said:

Acknowledging that he doesn't want the ball moving and that you now don't intend to?

Happens all the time. You'd have a really hard time proving that they were doing something wrong.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Balls in a Position to Assist on the Putting Green
2 hours ago, Rulesman said:

Acknowledging that he doesn't want the ball moving and that you now don't intend to?

Nope, that's presumptuous.  It's acknowledging that he doesn't care that it's there, not that he necessarily wants it there.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, iacas said:

Happens all the time. You'd have a really hard time proving that they were doing something wrong.

Perhaps. A referee wouldn't have to 'prove' it. He could just make a judgement and require the player to move it..

But it is really down to the conscience of the players.

Edited by Rulesman

20 hours ago, Lihu said:

Okay, now I know why I always mark, back to that method. I don't want to be accused of ":beer:"

(as long as you're consistent)

or never mark until asked, don't talk about it at all except for a direct request, don't expect a marked ball unless you ask the other guy

Bill - 

11 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

or never mark until asked, don't talk about it at all except for a direct request, don't expect a marked ball unless you ask the other guy

thats basically me. i hardly ever mark.  theres nothing wrong with having multiple balls on the green at the same time whilst someones putting if its not on their line.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

14 minutes ago, colin007 said:

thats basically me. i hardly ever mark.  theres nothing wrong with having multiple balls on the green at the same time whilst someones putting if its not on their line.

If we're all putting, every ball is marked. It's rare for me to play with golfers who don't mark when everyone is on the green? However, the main topic is for chipping, and my plan is to continue to mark every time as I have been.

26 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

The way I read @Rulesman's posts, marking is the most prudent thing to do.

I might be wrong, but as I thought a bit about it more, it seems like not marking (although not required) is implicitly agreeing to assist any other player? If the ball is clearly in their chipping path that's usually when people actually ask for others to mark?

Pace of play is not really an issue, because most people I know spend time practicing their stroke and analyzing the greens a bit before making their chip. They're usually on the green anyway and that's generally when others get the opportunity to mark their balls.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I had a case where something similar happened.  It was a par 3, during a tournament, and I hit last and put the ball 2 feet from the cup on the low side.  One of the 2 other guys started to his ball where it was on a ridge to the right of green and high side of the cup.  Before I could get close to the green, he chipped, intending to use my ball as a backstop if he needed one (he told me after the shot that he hurried so he could do that).  He didn't hit my ball, he actually hit the flagstick.  But only after his shot did I get to the green to mark my ball.  

I assume what he did was ok?  There was no agreement, it was him rushing to use the situation.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

28 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I had a case where something similar happened.  It was a par 3, during a tournament, and I hit last and put the ball 2 feet from the cup on the low side.  One of the 2 other guys started to his ball where it was on a ridge to the right of green and high side of the cup.  Before I could get close to the green, he chipped, intending to use my ball as a backstop if he needed one (he told me after the shot that he hurried so he could do that).  He didn't hit my ball, he actually hit the flagstick.  But only after his shot did I get to the green to mark my ball.  

I assume what he did was ok?  There was no agreement, it was him rushing to use the situation.

Yeah, I think he was fine for the exact reason you stated.  However, I think he was dumb.  I would think that the miniscule chance that he might hit a ball that he's not aiming for is a lot lower than his chances of screwing up the shot by rushing.

37 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I might be wrong, but as I thought a bit about it more, it seems like not marking (although not required) is implicitly agreeing to assist any other player?

In the cases I'm talking about above, I disagree.  They are more like the situation that @phillyk described where one player just played his shot without really waiting for the other to mark.  However if the case is one where the player clearly has enough time to go mark and is just standing there doing nothing, then I think you're probably right.

Also, every once in awhile at our level, you'll get a guy who doesn't know the rule and flat out ask if you want him to leave his ball there.  At that point, the safe thing to do is to say no and have him mark.

(There is a video of an odd situation like you describe on a thread on here somewhere.  I'll try and find it.)

6 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

In the cases I'm talking about above, I disagree.  They are more like the situation that @phillyk described where one player just played his shot without really waiting for the other to mark.  However if the case is one where the player clearly has enough time to go mark and is just standing there doing nothing, then I think you're probably right.

Also, every once in awhile at our level, you'll get a guy who doesn't know the rule and flat out ask if you want him to leave his ball there.  At that point, the safe thing to do is to say no and have him mark.

(There is a video of an odd situation like you describe on a thread on here somewhere.  I'll try and find it.)

Thanks, I'll dig around as well.

I agree if the person is ready to hit, then we should let him do so out of courtesy.

37 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Clearly, there was no collusion here.

I only wish me and my playing partners were good enough to take advantage of this type of situation. :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

16 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I only wish me and my playing partners were good enough to take advantage of this type of situation. :-P

But it's not a benefit for a good shot - it's a benefit for a shot that you screwed up.

8 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

But it's not a benefit for a good shot - it's a benefit for a shot that you screwed up.

But what a heck of a way to scramble! :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator
1 hour ago, phillyk said:

Yep.

If you had indicated that he should wait so you could mark the ball, though, and he chipped after you said that anyway, it'd be a different story.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

If we're all putting, every ball is marked. It's rare for me to play with golfers who don't mark when everyone is on the green?

off topic, but why? because you see the pros do it? it wastes time.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

16 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I'm not a fan of it either, but some people just 'have' to have a clear green while putting.  And if they respectfully ask me to mark, I cheerfully mark without comment.

It's a mental game, putting.  So I don't even care if the reason is not very reasonable, whatever they need, that's fine.

Bill - 

20 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Doesn't really waste time. My playing partners and I usually mark at the same time, as soon as everyone is on the green, and we still have to read the greens and pull the flag anyway. Some people even line up their balls and/or clean them, anyway, so having them preemptively marked doesn't actually take more time.

I also agree with @rehmwa that many golfers are kind of OCD about having a "clean" putting surface.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Doesn't really waste time. My playing partners and I usually mark at the same time, as soon as everyone is on the green, and we still have to read the greens and pull the flag anyway. Some people even line up their balls and/or clean them, anyway, so having them preemptively marked doesn't actually take more time.

I also agree with @rehmwa that many golfers are kind of OCD about having a "clean" putting surface.

Of course it wastes time. You have to walk to it, mark it, then walk away. If it's already clean, just leave it. If it's not, mark it with your putter, wipe it off, then put it back. Saves time.

And do you think OCD golfers are more or less likely to be quick golfers? 

Colin P.

5 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Of course it wastes time. You have to walk to it, mark it, then walk away. If it's already clean, just leave it. If it's not, mark it with your putter, wipe it off, then put it back. Saves time.

I think the consensus with my home course's playing partners is to mark everything. So, even if I don't, others will. We're not slow players by any means, but tend to do all these rituals. . .

And do you think OCD golfers are more or less likely to be quick golfers? 

Well, okay, you got me on this one, even though I never claimed that OCD golfers were "fast". :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I think the consensus with my home course's playing partners is to mark everything. So, even if I don't, others will. We're not slow players by any means, but tend to do all these rituals. . .

Well, okay, you got me on this one, even though I never claimed that OCD golfers were "fast". :-D

Maybe if you stop, they'll see it's unnecessary? You could be a trend setter!!

:beer:

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 2594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!