IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

After butchering the previous 3 shots on a par 5 (tee to right woods... right woods to left woods... left woods into a tree that kicked into the fairway)... I nipped a 40 yard pitch perfectly so that it skipped once and stopped on a dime less than a foot from the hole, salvaging my par.

That tells you how the rest of my round went.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not a fan of scrambles because I'd rather play real golf, but it's been awhile since I played in a club event so I joined a team of friends to give it a go!   My best shot of the week came on a 167yd par3.   I stuffed a 7-Iron to about 6"...........fun stuff!!

I also hit a 6-iron to within 6' with 178yds to the pin on another par 3.  (didn't win closest to pin)

........I made both putts though :-P

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• Administrator

I pulled my driver on 9 at Whispering Woods the other day a bit too much. Had about 100 yards in, but was in a valley with the green 20 feet above me and about a five-foot window at the left bunker.

I gripped down an 8, hit the right side of the gap, cut the ball just enough to land it near the front of the green so it could trickle up to about 20 feet.

Saved about 0.75 shots on that stroke alone.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Got 12 holes in today, i was on the 8th about a 425 yard par 4. Pushed my driver and got a little under it only went about 215 and just on the 2nd cut. Proceeded to hit my 4h into a bunker right of the hole. It was a downhill lie and i was about 25 feet from the pin. I hit a decent shot that actually checked up but rolled onto the fringe about 10 feet away. I was just about to use my 56 degree when i decided i would rather putt. Ended up draining it for a par that got me pretty pumped up.

My tee shot went to the left side on a 153 yard par 3.  I was in the rough about 25 yards away from the pin.  The green slopes down so I aimed my 56 degree wedge to the high side and hopefully near or on the fringe.  The only problem was a tree branch sticking out in my path and 15 ft. high.  I told myself that I'd probably hit it and sure as day it plunked off it from the bottom and landed straight under it 17 yards out.  I then grabbed a 60 degree lob wedge and aim for the exact spot as before.  It did a little mini flop and the speed was scrubbed off and then the ball started the slow roll and into the cup.  It sure feels nice having something you planned out work perfectly........ the second time. :dance:

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

was more of a recovery that was noteworthy ... total crap round salvaged by coming in with 4 pars in a row & walk off birdie (166 yd par 3 nice and tight)

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

don't post to this thread much anymore, but I'm happy with this shot....

hole 1 approach -153 to a very rear placement and I'm out of the rough, like a dummy I hit my 150 club (shoulda coulda hit the 135er), which bounces pin high and continues to just go over the back of the green.......not much bite from out of the thicker rough..... no kidding

So I'm maybe 20 feet from the pin, maybe 10 feet of green to work with, 4 feet below the hole, and sitting on compacted concrete-like dirt.

I hit the lob with the 60 degree wedge.

It landed 3 feet on, bounced again just short of the pin and rolls out 10 feet past.

Frankly, just thrilled to hit that shot even if it wasn't a tap in.

I made the putt.  what a great reward for that pitch.

Bill - 

Coming into green from sideways angle, 166 yds, green protected by NUMEROUS bunkers, pin tucked way in the back behind all those bunkers.    Super intimidating approach shot - all I could see from my angle were all those bunkers.    So, just ignored them & played the yardage.    BANG ... then missed 6 ft putt & made par.

John

My second shot on the long par 5 16th.  I had miraculously hit my driver straight and come up about 30 yards shy of where the big, big ol honkin water hazard starts.  The smart play is to hit your second shot to the left of the water hazard and then a wedge to the green.  I have played the whole several times and usually slice my second shot into the water or barely dribble the ball unless I use an iron or my 5 hybrid.  As a side note I will say that I was getting slightly heat exhausted and had read a few threads on how people play better when they are ironically.  That won't happen again as I plan on taking better precautions but I took out my 5 wood which I don't hit well usually and have actually slightly dented the bottom of, set up, aimed, and blasted a good 180ish or so yard shot just a little short of where I thought it would end up.  It was the best shot for me because when I hit my driver I just prayed I would not slice it massively, but this shot I did 95% of what I envisioned.  Ended up taking a 9 iron to hit the green and over clubbed (didn't want to end up in the water on RHS or the two bunkers) but wound up on the fringe putting for birdie.  Was a long putt and wound up 3 putting but got a gods honest bogie on one of the more difficult and intimidating holes (for newer golfers at least).

I played a 533 yard par 5 yesterday that before I would constantly slice balls into the water hazard that rides the entire right side. I took a 5 wood because there's bunkers at 245 and my 5 wood typically carries 210 with about 20 yards of roll(it's a Steel shafted 23*, yes. steel shafted.) and cranked it 250 or so and it rolled to 270ish and had my second shot from 260ish and decided to play it again. This time I carried it about what I would say was 230 and rolled onto the green and then rolled back down and off. third shot was about a 20 yard so I hit a 56* and bumped to about 8 feet. Misread the birdie putt and sank it for par. It was Amazing feeling me hit the 5 wood 250

It is a great feeling and sound when you hit a fairway metal right. 318 yd par 4. Carried it 275 with my driver(with the wind of course), kept rolling to about 7 feet from the hole. Now I know the feeling Bubba gets when he does that.

#14 at my home course is narrow little 388yd par4 from the tees I play.

A hazard protects the entire left side of the hole...... A creek surrounded by a natural jungle filled with critters and poison-ivy.  You do not want to go inside there!  As you can see in the picture, it butt's nearly up to the fairway.   Deep prairie grass protects the right.....if you can thread the needle from the tee, it becomes a birdie hole!!

I was in a spot of bother after a drive that only missed the fairway by 2-3 feet!!!   A canopy of trees are directly overhead so going high is not an option.  I had 107yds to the pin and punched a low 5-iron..........it hit the upslope fronting the green perfectly......popped into the air and released to the middle pin position......7 feet right of the cup.     And of course I made the putt!!!

(a sidehill putt with about 2ft of break)

Easy birdie.......................................all setup by a good drive!  hahaha

;-)

What's in Paul's Bag:

Best shot today was my 4th shot on a par five when I used my 56 degree wedge from 10 yds off of a sloping green which ended up in the cup to give me the birdie

Best shot was on the 2nd hole on my approach shot - 8 iron from 145 yds I dropped it 8 feet from the hole. I was aiming for the fat part of the green. The 8 feet was a bonus.

The three best on purpose shots of the round was the second shot on the 5th hole (par 5) with my 6 iron that ended up dead center and just short of the bunkers right where I was aiming it. Lob wedge up onto the green.

13th hole 7 iron approach from 155 caught the fringe on the right side about 10 feet from the hole - made par.

18th hole. Full gap wedge over a bunker from 108 yds that ended on the fringe about 12 feet from the hole and made bogey.

I'll tell you though that the practice green rolled at about a 11. Greens 1 & 2 rolled at 11. Greens 3 & 4 rolled at a 9. Green 5 rolled at a 7. And the rest rolled around an 8. Front 9 putting was miserable and there was a lot of readjusting. Back 9 putting was fine.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

#14 at my home course is narrow little 388yd par4 from the tees I play.

A hazard protects the entire left side of the hole...... A creek surrounded by a natural jungle filled with critters and poison-ivy.  You do not want to go inside there!  As you can see in the picture, it butt's nearly up to the fairway.   Deep prairie grass protects the right.....if you can thread the needle from the tee, it becomes a birdie hole!!

I was in a spot of bother after a drive that only missed the fairway by 2-3 feet!!!   A canopy of trees are directly overhead so going high is not an option.  I had 107yds to the pin and punched a low 5-iron..........it hit the upslope fronting the green perfectly......popped into the air and released to the middle pin position......7 feet right of the cup.     And of course I made the putt!!!

(a sidehill putt with about 2ft of break)

Easy birdie.......................................all setup by a good drive!  hahaha

does that ball say on it what I think it does ... if so, LOL LOL LOL !!!!

John

My best shot, actually turned out to be a bad shot. I was hitting a PW from 110 yards out. Wanting to put some spin on the ball, I took a divot, in hopes of getting a drop & stop ball near the pin. I am not a long ball hitter by any means, and have to rely on accuracy for low scores. 110 yards is about fight for my PW.  Well what I did was, I actually put the best swing on the ball than I have in a long time. The ball flew about 140+ yards, on my target line, then stopped, and dropped.  I have not hit a 140+ yard PW in a few years. I made a perfect ball first, then divot contact with the ball. Everything just fell into place with that one swing.

I was playing left handed. Now with  this one swing, I am thinking I am on to something good since I am no longer hesitant swinging through the ball with these newer clubs, and swing change.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

does that ball say on it what I think it does ... if so, LOL LOL LOL !!!!

What's in Paul's Bag: