IGNORED

2017 Farmers Insurance Open Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 2634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah, y'all know what's up. The One Who Moves the Needle will be teeing it up this week. I'm hoping for 4 consecutive 59s from Tigs and he wins by a bazillion strokes. 

Discuss away.

• Upvote 5

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ha!  Go figure that you'd be the one to start this thread!

Looking forward to it!

:beer:

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Tiger only 50/1 at best, think still too early for him to be in top form, giving his lay off time and Torrey Pines south you need to be right on top of your game, even though Tiger had a 62 around the south course, think still be some time before we see some of the old Tiger. Hoping his return is successful, best of luck to him.

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

I'm excited to see the North Course reno.  Here are some "during" pictures: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/visuals/story/sdut-torrey-pines-north-course-renovation-golf-2016jun07-photogallery.html

One obvious change, which makes total sense, is the reversal of the nines.  The last 5 holes were the blandest on the course while the first 7 are the most memorable and picturesque.  Also think it was a great idea to remove the ponds on 17/8.  They seemed so out of place (so does the pond on 18 south IMO) and they were sorta swampy and ugly.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2016/11/29/newly-renovated-torrey-pines-north-course-opens/

Also of note, tips were lengthened by 200 yards (so maybe it won't be quite as easy for the pros??) and the greens on the north are now bent instead of poa.

• Upvote 3

Bent on the North, Poa on the South. I wonder if the Pga has different grasses on the greens on any other tournament. 

I've played the new North twice, the greens are the biggest change imo. They are bigger and more importantly have less back to front general slope. The old greens had become unfair when the greens were running fast with modern green speeds. 

6 hours ago, colin007 said:

Yeah, y'all know what's up. The One Who Moves the Needle will be teeing it up this week. I'm hoping for 4 consecutive 59s from Tigs and he wins by a bazillion strokes. 

Discuss away.

You never disappoint :-D. I'll be pulling for The One as well.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

12 hours ago, colin007 said:

Discuss away.

I would think that the first bet one could place this week would be if He Who Moves the Needle and garners all TV coverage will WD or tee it up?

pah-pahdump-ah-pump-ah-dum!

Players play, tough players win!

13 hours ago, David in FL said:

Ha!  Go figure that you'd be the one to start this thread!

Looking forward to it!

:beer:

lol you know me! i usually wait till the sunday or monday of the week of the tourney, but i might go and start the 2017 Masters discussion now too!!  lol....

6 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

You never disappoint :-D. I'll be pulling for The One as well.

:banana::beer:

Colin P.

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I would think that the first bet one could place this week would be if He Who Moves the Needle and garners all TV coverage will WD or tee it up?

In case any have forgotten, this is the location of the WD due to the now infamous unactivated glutes.

I think his injury issues are behind him now (knock on wood).

This is going to be a fun one. Like @Golfingdad, I'm really looking forward to seeing the new North course; more than that, of course, I'm excited to see Tiger teeing it up. I think that we're going to see 4 days of good golf out of him.

• Upvote 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I'm excited about the tourney this week.  I was looking at the players and there's going to be a great field competing this weekend which is always fun and will be at this tournament.

As it pertains to Tiger, there are only two things that I am hoping for.  1. that he makes the cut and 2, that he gets through the tournament feeling good and healthy.  Health is the imperative factor to anything Tiger does going forward in his career and if his back acts up again, that'll be it.  So low expectations is going to be my approach with him during the early part of the season leading up to the masters. 

• Upvote 1

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I will, optimistically and very misleadingly, point out that Tiger finished in 15th in his one start last year. So I'm thinking he can build on that - right?

Players play, tough players win!

2 hours ago, tristanhilton85 said:

This is going to be a fun one. Like @Golfingdad, I'm really looking forward to seeing the new North course; more than that, of course, I'm excited to see Tiger teeing it up. I think that we're going to see 4 days of good golf out of him.

A lot of the changes are pretty subtle, except for the greens which are really great.  

Some changes for example: On the image is the 12th (use to be the 3rd), the google maps still show the old course.  That green-side bunker near the canyon is gone, and the green has been extended almost to the canyon edge and is now a multi-tiered green.  When I was there last Tuesday, the course was closed, the pin was tucked into the far back left edge of that bunker bringing a risk reward canyon situation into play.  From the green tees (use to be whites), you are near the edge of the canyon with about 160 yards when I played,  The back tees are 203 now.  That's an extra 40 yards compared to the old scorecard with much harder pin placements possible.

The next hole, the 13th, has an additional tee box near the 10th tee box, it's near where that triangle made by the cart paths are in the image (the cart paths aren't the same now). That took the back tee from the old scorecard at 429 to the new 459.

I remember on the old course playing what was then the 9th.  I had an 11 footer up hill to the center of the green.  I went a foot past the hole, the ball started back towards me, lipped out as it went by the hole, rolled back to me and left me with an almost identical putt but now about 12 feet.  That's why they had to flatten the greens, the old design was from 1957, greens weren't so fast back then.  (The South was redesigned in 2001).

12th torrey.PNG

• Upvote 2

I hope he does well to keep it interesting through the weekend.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

18 hours ago, colin007 said:

Anyone know what Tiger's using for clubs this week?

Don't know about this week, but at Hero http://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2016/12/02/whats-in-the-bag-tiger-woods-hero-world-challenge.html

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

Note: This thread is 2634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!