IGNORED

Any Other Fishermen Here?

HitAndGiggle
Note: This thread is 2157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Kayak fishing for rockfish and lingcod on the coast is fun.  My spots keep getting made into preserves though which stinks.

Also love tying flies for freshwater trout too.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We were out fishing last night. We decided use night crawlers, and see if we could catch a few cat fish in some shallow areas. We managed to catch and release a few. Most were in the 2-3 pound range. 

What made my night was a 22lb carp. He/she put up up a decent struggle on the light tackle I was using. Maybe 15 minutes worth. I said thanks for the match, and released the critter. :-)

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, jimmizu said:

How ironic to see this thread a half hour after I posted on a thread on a fly fishing board asking how many folks there also played golf!

I guess the photo says it all. 

IMG_0173.JPG

Which boat? I fish the Royal Polaris and Royal Star. Wanting to fish the Shogun...maybe this year. That photo!...I'm guessing that's the Royal Star. I recognize that layout and the head door behind you. Have had some epic days on that boat.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Wow! I fish freshwater locally so we don't have anything like that swimming around except for maybe sturgeon which are illegal to keep.

Still, we eat pretty good catching bluegill, crappie, perch, walleye, sauger and saugeye (a sauger/walleye hybrid). Most bass fisherman, either largemouth or smallmouth, practice catch and release. I might keep the occasional largemouth, but I release all smallmouth bass. They are such a cool fish, and they fight like mad.

I used to catch a lot of bluegill when I was a kid (don't we all). And, the other day on a trout outing I caught a couple nice ones. I kept the biggest one to fillet and eat that night at, as I remembered, the meat was absolutely delicious. Going trout fishing tomorrow...

Edited by HitAndGiggle

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

This pic was from years ago after charting an off-shore boat in Cape Hatteras, NC with my old man.  Regular family vacation spot, and had a great day that time around...cooler full of mahi, a few good wahoo.  Also released a while marlin and a sail, those were tough.

Got pretty much skunked the following Summer, and we haven't been out since.  Tried last year, but unfortunately had a week-long SW wind blowing around 25 kts, so we just spent most days catching junk from the shoreline.  

mahi.jpg

- Bill

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:47 PM, Let it Fly said:

This pic was from years ago after charting an off-shore boat in Cape Hatteras, NC with my old man.  Regular family vacation spot, and had a great day that time around...cooler full of mahi, a few good wahoo.  Also released a while marlin and a sail, those were tough.

Got pretty much skunked the following Summer, and we haven't been out since.  Tried last year, but unfortunately had a week-long SW wind blowing around 25 kts, so we just spent most days catching junk from the shoreline.  

mahi.jpg

Nice. Several years ago on one of my longrange trips I got into several dorado like that. I targeted them when I saw them (actually sight-fishing parked on a school of tuna) because my wife loves to eat the dorado. After bringing them home I came to realize how delicious they are raw. Ended up eating at least half of her dorado raw...haha. Very delicate, wonderful meat on those fish.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

16 hours ago, HitAndGiggle said:

I targeted them when I saw them (actually sight-fishing parked on a school of tuna) because my wife loves to eat the dorado.

That's a fun spot to be in.  Have never actually sight-fished for them...after hooking a couple near buoys or grass, we've always just filled the water with chum to bring the rest of the school up.  Lots of fun, and as you mentioned...great eating! 

- Bill

• 2 months later...

I just got back from Alaska where I traveled and fished with my son and my dad for the past week.  We had a blast.

IMG_3954.JPG

IMG_3983.JPG

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Here are a couple more photos.

IMG_4041.JPGIMG_4002.JPG

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I thought at one point I remembered posting in a dedicated fishing thread but I cant seem to find it even with searching, so I'll start one here for anyone interested in fishing and to talk about my most recent fishing trip. I'll update this with other catches I have throughout the summer as well. Fishing is pretty much my only other hobby outside of golf.

My Dad and I just got back from spending a week in Northern Ontario and here is a brief writeup I did about the trip for a fishing forum.

We stayed at Lost Lake Wilderness Lodge which is located between Gowganda and Elk Lake. This was our second time up there, first time going up in the spring.

About 15 minutes into fishing on the first day, my dad caught a 32", 8lb pike on a 3/4 oz Five of Diamonds spoon. 
Then we got a couple hours of rain, but we went back out around 7pm after the rain. We were cruising around looking for some spots to fish and found where the main lake has a decent stream that flows into another lake, and I started throwing a topwater bait (this one specifically https://mysterytacklebox.com/shop/ta...ny-b-twin-spin) right at the mouth to the stream thinking a pike might be sitting there waiting to catch a meal.

On my second cast, huge explosion and I had a fish on. Fought around both sides of the boat, under the boat, peeled a ton of drag, was using a spinning reel and 12 lb mono test with a 20lb wire leader, a few minutes later we finally managed to land the largest fish of my life, a 40" 10lb pike!
20180519_185131.jpg.e3f17f4b4a0535de9d9e988817ad1d54.jpg

We continued fishing the rest of the week with that particular topwater lure accounting for ~30 of the 40 total fish we caught plus dozens of other blowups and fish on that got away. We caught a few other pike in the 24-28 inch range, but the smallmouth were going crazy for that lure, the biggest smallmouth was caught by my dad and was 20" and just over 4 lbs, most of the smallmouth were 16-18" and 2.5-3lbs

We were mainly going up and down the shorelines casting the topwater tight to shore, seemed like where there were rocks we were finding smallmouth, and where there was wood or beaver huts there were pike.

I have numerous other pictures of the smallmouth and pike that I can share if anyone's interested, and others please feel free to post your fish pictures and stories as well!

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 hour ago, klineka said:

I thought at one point I remembered posting in a dedicated fishing thread but I cant seem to find it even with searching

Here ya go. Nice fish.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I was absolutely crazy about bass fishing back in college at OklaSt. So many ‘farm ponds’ to hit in the wee hours of the night. I still remember that beautiful sound of casting out a plastic frog...lightly skipping it across the surface...then BAM! Man those were good times. Now that I’m in Florida I really need to go bass fishing again. Never did any fly fishing but always wanted to try.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, klineka said:

the biggest smallmouth was caught by my dad and was 20" and just over 4 lbs, most of the smallmouth were 16-18" and 2.5-3lbs

That's a really nice pike. A 20" smallmouth is equally impressive. Hook something like that on an ultra-light rig and it's a lot of fun.

By all means... more pics please.

Jon

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I was absolutely crazy about bass fishing back in college at OklaSt. So many ‘farm ponds’ to hit in the wee hours of the night. I still remember that beautiful sound of casting out a plastic frog...lightly skipping it across the surface...then BAM! Man those were good times. Now that I’m in Florida I really need to go bass fishing again. Never did any fly fishing but always wanted to try.

Florida for bass? Bah!

Redfish. Snook. Shark.

In any order.

Hell even Jack Crevalle or something are more fun to catch than BASS.

I actually don't mind bass fishing when you're doing it around logs, docks, etc. Stuff where it takes some skill. But lake fishing for bass? Zzzzzzz.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Florida for bass? Bah!

Redfish. Snook. Shark.

In any order.

Hell even Jack Crevalle or something are more fun to catch than BASS.

I actually don't mind bass fishing when you're doing it around logs, docks, etc. Stuff where it takes some skill. But lake fishing for bass? Zzzzzzz.

Yeah I’m not talking about lake fishing. I’m talking about getting in the junk, findIng some dark little nook with brush all over the place ...old decaying log to flip around. Any self respecting Southerner knows what I meant . If I’m going big water...I’m going ocean. Lakes?..that’s like Trix...for kids.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Redfish, Snook and shark....never done this but sounds like a good time. These fish put up a good fight? Shark I’m sure ...never fished the others.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Redfish, Snook and shark....never done this but sounds like a good time. These fish put up a good fight? Shark I’m sure ...never fished the others.

Snook yes. Redfish are often "a good pull." I'm not talking about the ocean redfish, more the shallow area lagoon type.

I did all of my fishing from a kayak. Even the shark.

st_aug_erik_red.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!