• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
HitAndGiggle

Any Other Fishermen Here?

Kayak fishing for rockfish and lingcod on the coast is fun.  My spots keep getting made into preserves though which stinks.

Also love tying flies for freshwater trout too.

We were out fishing last night. We decided use night crawlers, and see if we could catch a few cat fish in some shallow areas. We managed to catch and release a few. Most were in the 2-3 pound range. 

What made my night was a 22lb carp. He/she put up up a decent struggle on the light tackle I was using. Maybe 15 minutes worth. I said thanks for the match, and released the critter. :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, jimmizu said:

How ironic to see this thread a half hour after I posted on a thread on a fly fishing board asking how many folks there also played golf!

I guess the photo says it all. 

IMG_0173.JPG

Which boat? I fish the Royal Polaris and Royal Star. Wanting to fish the Shogun...maybe this year. That photo!...I'm guessing that's the Royal Star. I recognize that layout and the head door behind you. Have had some epic days on that boat.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Wow! I fish freshwater locally so we don't have anything like that swimming around except for maybe sturgeon which are illegal to keep.

Still, we eat pretty good catching bluegill, crappie, perch, walleye, sauger and saugeye (a sauger/walleye hybrid). Most bass fisherman, either largemouth or smallmouth, practice catch and release. I might keep the occasional largemouth, but I release all smallmouth bass. They are such a cool fish, and they fight like mad.

I used to catch a lot of bluegill when I was a kid (don't we all). And, the other day on a trout outing I caught a couple nice ones. I kept the biggest one to fillet and eat that night at, as I remembered, the meat was absolutely delicious. Going trout fishing tomorrow...

Edited by HitAndGiggle

This pic was from years ago after charting an off-shore boat in Cape Hatteras, NC with my old man.  Regular family vacation spot, and had a great day that time around...cooler full of mahi, a few good wahoo.  Also released a while marlin and a sail, those were tough.

Got pretty much skunked the following Summer, and we haven't been out since.  Tried last year, but unfortunately had a week-long SW wind blowing around 25 kts, so we just spent most days catching junk from the shoreline.  

mahi.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:47 PM, Let it Fly said:

This pic was from years ago after charting an off-shore boat in Cape Hatteras, NC with my old man.  Regular family vacation spot, and had a great day that time around...cooler full of mahi, a few good wahoo.  Also released a while marlin and a sail, those were tough.

Got pretty much skunked the following Summer, and we haven't been out since.  Tried last year, but unfortunately had a week-long SW wind blowing around 25 kts, so we just spent most days catching junk from the shoreline.  

mahi.jpg

Nice. Several years ago on one of my longrange trips I got into several dorado like that. I targeted them when I saw them (actually sight-fishing parked on a school of tuna) because my wife loves to eat the dorado. After bringing them home I came to realize how delicious they are raw. Ended up eating at least half of her dorado raw...haha. Very delicate, wonderful meat on those fish.

16 hours ago, HitAndGiggle said:

I targeted them when I saw them (actually sight-fishing parked on a school of tuna) because my wife loves to eat the dorado.

That's a fun spot to be in.  Have never actually sight-fished for them...after hooking a couple near buoys or grass, we've always just filled the water with chum to bring the rest of the school up.  Lots of fun, and as you mentioned...great eating! 

I just started playing golf  within last 6 months . 

Always beens a keen carp fisherman .  I just haven't three days to sit on the bank . 

Just go golf now whenever I can and fantasise it all day long