IGNORED

Newport Cup Matches - Points and Changes

iacas
Note: This thread is 2648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Maybe in reverse: each team can decide to force the other team to play a hole for a par or better.  Par or better and your team gets the point. Bogey or worse and the opponents get it.

Teams could decide on the order of play (i.e. who hits the tee shot) for themselves. That can't be dictated to them.

So far I like this best. It's simple, adds the team aspect and some gamesmanship with their opponents.

@iacas already brought this up in the OP, my idea would have been to have singles matches against both opponents in the foursome. A vs X, B vs Y, A vs Y, B vs X. Or maybe only do that for the final nine instead of 18. So you'd have your "main" match and then a mini "bonus" match for the last nine.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Instead of one 18 hole singles match worth 3 points versus one opponent. You play two 9 hole singles matches worth 2 points, partners switch opponents for the second match. 

I'll keep that in consideration, but two points for nine holes feels like a lot. This does add the "other opponent" into the mix, but not your teammate.

1 minute ago, mvmac said:

@iacas already brought this up in the OP, my idea would have been to have singles matches against both opponents in the foursome. A vs X, B vs Y, A vs Y, B vs X. Or maybe only do that for the final nine instead of 18. So you'd have your "main" match and then a mini "bonus" match for the last nine.

Possibly.

The only downsides there:

• Handicapping can be a bit of a mix. You could have a player getting and giving strokes on the same hole.
  • Doesn't involve your teammate per se, just the opponents.

I'm still leaning toward the yellow ball idea. Do you and your teammate play the ball yourself, force the opponents to play it, and when? First hole before they're in rhythm, or late after they've hit a few shaky shots? Maybe there's a difficult hole… or an easy hole and you want to play your ball on that hole yourself?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What about adding 2 players per team? Days 1 and 2 are worth 8 points each. You could have the first 2 and last 2 singles matches be worth 2 points each and the middle 4 be worth 1. You could also make the first 4 singles 1 point and the last 4 worth 2 to add more drama at the end. That is a 16:12 ratio and would add a little excitement to the picks for singles matches. There is no Nassau in this as it is straight up Ryder Cup format with the exception of weighting half of the singles matches. 

- Shane

5 minutes ago, iacas said:
  • Handicapping can be a bit of a mix. You could have a player getting and giving strokes on the same hole.
  • Doesn't involve your teammate per se, just the opponents.

Agree, especially with the second point.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Do you and your teammate play the ball yourself, force the opponents to play it, and when? First hole before they're in rhythm, or late after they've hit a few shaky shots? Maybe there's a difficult hole… or an easy hole and you want to play your ball on that hole yourself?

I think this could be a lot of fun and the decision will likely be different for every group.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

That is a 16:12 ratio and would add a little excitement to the picks for singles matches. There is no Nassau in this as it is straight up Ryder Cup format with the exception of weighting half of the singles matches. 

No thanks. The point isn't to get 16:12, particularly if it's going to skew things to favor some players or matches over others, and not if it's going to mess up the format of the first four rounds.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

How about play an additional 9 hole Nassau of worst ball scramble for a point (so 27 holes during the last round)? Opposing team picks the ball they want the others to play.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

How about play an additional 9 hole Nassau of worst ball scramble for a point (so 27 holes during the last round)? Opposing team picks the ball they want the others to play.  

The course isn't gonna want that. And worst ball? You trying to kill @mvmac and I? :-)

Just now, iacas said:

The course isn't gonna want that. And worst ball? You trying to kill @mvmac and I? :-)

Would make for some interesting shots.  :whistle:

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I like SavvySwede's idea of a point every 6 holes and then one for total.  We use to do this in a foursome and rotated who your parter was every 6 holes.  His suggestion gets you:

• To a 3:2 ratio...closer to the Ryder cup
  • Emphasis on winning your match (bonus point)
  • Handicaps are simplified.  You only play against one person and relatively easy to figure out what is going on during the round.  :-)

This doesn't involve the other opponent or your teammate, but this is singles, right?  If you wanted to add something to the list. You could add a point for the team that had the most holes won between the two matches.  If a match is closed out, they could still play on to keep winning holes and another potential point.  Just a thought.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

2 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Instead of one 18 hole singles match worth 3 points versus one opponent. You play two 9 hole singles matches worth 2 points, partners switch opponents for the second match. 

Do you split handicap difference in half for shot allocation since a 9 hole match? I would think..

Vishal S.

I'd usually allocate it where the strokes would fall.  For a 3-stroke difference, based on an 18-hole handicap, there would either be 2 stroke holes (1 and 3) in a 9-hole match, or just one (handicap hole #2), depending on how the course numbered the holes.  If you split that 3-stroke difference, to be 1.5 strokes, you'd have to allocate a half-stroke somewhere, and that  generally isn't done.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Haha, and we're also trying to finish in less than 6 hours!

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 2648 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!