IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge March 2017

iacas
Note: This thread is 2583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Welcome to the "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge for March, 2017! The rules are the same as always:

• Make a detailed post describing your practice every day during the month. Try to limit the number of very short or "ditto" type posts. Describe what you did for at least five minutes of practice (indoors or out, with or without golf balls, etc.).
  • No back-dating or pre-dating posts or practice sessions.
  • On the last day of the month, if you completed the challenge, post about it in red text so I can notice it and give you the award.

Enjoy and practice hard!

Note: you can miss one day per monthly challenge if you have a good reason and still be eligible for the monthly award.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1/3/17 - Woke up early and did five minutes of slow practice on my takeaway in front of a mirror. Yesterday I found I was getting too far inside on the takeaway, so trying to get that in the right place whilst not fanning the left arm out. Might hit the range later as well, but depends on work.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

3/01 - after watching my swing on video yesterday, I can see that I need to flatten my left wrist during backswing. I worked on that this morning for 10-ish mins

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

3/1 - Shoulder turn work during a long conference call. Focused on feel of hips staying centered in backswing turn.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

First time doing this, but I'm excited for the challenge.

3/1:  Exercised back and core,  Chipped around the back yard for ~30 minutes.  Then practiced full swings, focusing on not coming over the top on my drives.  

Also just ordered a swing net so I can hit after work.  

25 min

Sklz swing trainer to warm up

7 iron and driver, with after each sequence

1. Stop at the top

2. Pump drill

3. Full swing 

4. Step thru swing

5. Full swing

traveling again, starting Sunday so no golf until following weekend

3/1: Walked 12 holes after work. 3 pars, 8 bogeys, and a double. The fade is dependable and I like being able to focus more on my tempo and good course management rather than the mechanics of my swing. Still drawing the driver every now and then which is messing with my head. Have to laugh at that. :-D

I got a little sloppy after a string of good shots and kinda lost focus, though. Also, have to remember that my shot zones don't get smaller just because I hit two great approach shots in a row with my 6-iron, the third one can still land anywhere within the zone. :8)

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Practiced out back at lunch today.

Worked on setup. Standing a little closer to the ball and taller.

Also worked on right hip away on back-swing and torquing the left knee to start the downswing.  

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Did some mirror work for 5 minutes tonight. Working on my address position and my takeaway.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2/3/17 - more backswing work in front of the mirror. Really starting to feel like it's getting there now after about two months of solid work. Don't think I properly realised before this piece how much slow motion stuff was necessary to really change the picture.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Okay -- I'm in on this for March.  I'm hellbent on actually improving this year, and getting my HI back down.

3/1/17:  Boot-camp session, 2.5 total hours (1.5, break, then 1).  Won't be the norm...just a season kick-off thing, then as needed.  Central priority/overarching theme to session was "focused practice with a purpose" (a chronic weak point for me).  Worked on:  pre-shot routine & over-the-ball simplification (applied across all shots), ball-striking/full swings (focused on correcting my poor/inside takeaway; and launch-direction precision), and complete rebuild of chipping/short-pitch technique.  Also, several sets of conditioning/fundamental work with my orange whip between sessions.

FWIW, I used alignment sticks & a 2x2 intermediate target ~15 yards in front of me for launch-direction focus.  I think I'll do that from now on in every session where I hit balls.

What a great session...best I can recall in a long time!  I can't believe what a difference the focused-intent approach made.  Time to apply it to every session...even the 5-10 minute ones.  Future March updates to be much more brief.  ;-)  ...Just excited about the game again.

BamaWade

• Upvote 1

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

3/02 - 8ft putts for bead over lunch

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

3/2 - practiced chipping and pitching into a net at lunch today.

Pitching needs work. More rotation thru impact.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

3/2 - 15 minutes mirror work. First I focused on center hip turn. My last filming showed a little sway. Then I worked on my Key 3 stuff.

I don't think I will get to hit balls into my net today as it is 'blowing like stink' outside. Gusts to 40.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3/02 (Part II) - wall drill x 10 mins

-Jonny

3/2: 15 minutes, worked on backswing in mirror.  Focusing on lower body control.  I tend to move the left knee too much (usually when I try to kill the ball).  

Note: This thread is 2583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!