IGNORED

Switching grips regular to mid size

capster_575
Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am thinking about switching from regualar size grips to mid size grips on my irons? Have any of you  done this? I currently have mid size grip on my driver and find more control but i also have a faster swing speed with my driver. My hand measurements set me up for a mid size but do not play them currently on the Irons and never have.

(edited)

The best thing you can do is to try them.  Just do one club, and take that to the range.  Compare it against swinging with your current grips, and see if there's a significant difference in feel or ball flight.  Or to make it apples and apples, do two clubs, one with a new midsize grip, one with a new standard grip, and compare.  That way you've wasted no more than one grip.  If you have access to an air compressor, you can even remove those "test" grips without destroying them.

And BTW, welcome to TheSandTrap!.  I suggest that you go to the Welcome Everyone section and introduce yourself.  While you're over there, you can add your location to the TST Member Map:

Edited by DaveP043
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, capster_575 said:

I am thinking about switching from regualar size grips to mid size grips on my irons? Have any of you  done this? I currently have mid size grip on my driver and find more control but i also have a faster swing speed with my driver. My hand measurements set me up for a mid size but do not play them currently on the Irons and never have.

I have long fingers and wear and XL glove. So I like my grip to be a bit bigger. I did mid-size for a while, but now I do the GolfPride MCC Plus 4 grip with 3 wraps or the Pure DTX grip with 5 wraps and extra tape under where the right hand is. 

I found what I liked the best about the mid-size grip is how it felt in my right hand. So with this set up,.I get best of both worlds. It also feel better when choking down on the grip for partial shots.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Great question. Not much talk about it, that I've seen.

I wear XL gloves and I'm using Golf Pride mid size grips.

Is it true that if your grip is too small, you will tend to pull your shots? And if your grip is too large you might tend to slice?

I should have my 7 iron re-gripped with a normal size grip and try to figure out what fit I need.

Good topic.  I wear a cadet large glove, but I used a mid-size for years because of arthritis. When I re-did my clubs, I discussed grip size with the fitter and my instructor. The fitter pointed out the need to consider the heavier weight of midsize; both said I would have a minor tendency to block shots or fade the ball (latter is OK by me).The consensus was that I would probably do better with regular grips. After digesting several lessons, I have found that to be true. My grip is more comfortable, not as "tight" feeling. And I do find it easier to work the ball right to left with the proper clubs. Still a hacker, though.  -Marv

• Upvote 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I went mid-size and will never go back.

If you get fitted, it's part of the process. They should measure your hands and recommend a grip size/range.

I was borderline regular/midsize. I went up and also add 1 extra layer or tape. It was a game changer for me, personally. Then again, the grips themselves were significantly better (CP2's vs old stock ones). 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

I wear Cadet XL glove and midsize grips.  I feel much better since making these switches.  Seems like you should go into a golf store and look at the charts to see what would work best for you and give it a try.  

As other said, just do one club.  Seems like a fairly inexpensive test situation

Grips are an often overlooked aspect of a player's gear, but think about it...it's the only connection we have to the club, so it's pretty important.

There have been a lot of innovations in grips in the last 12-15 years...new materials, different textures and they are available in so many colors there is something for everyone.  Guys, if it's been more than 2 years since your clubs have been re-gripped, you're due.  Every year would be better.  The fit of the grips is very important:

Grip-sizing.jpg.dfda4c6d9ba12b12a5855a7d887a145f.jpg

Grips that are too small will create extra tension in the hands and forearms because they feel like they will fly out of your hands, so the tendency is to grip tighter.  Sometimes a smaller grip can create a player to be more "handsy".  A bigger grip will quiet the hands and make them less active.

If you're the type of player who likes to choke up quite a bit on short game shots and grip way down, you might want to have the lower part of the grip built up more to reduce the amount of taper.  Another thing to consider...a lot of guys like midsize grips, but there are a couple of options.  A lot of grips are offered in a midsize version, but if not a standard size can be built up to a midsize. A standard grip + 4 extra wraps is about the same as a midsize.

wraps.thumb.jpg.bd75b27be9b755a2564699068ef3dcad.jpg

However, in my experience a midsize grip tapers more than a standard size +4 wraps, so keep that in mind.

21gprvelvetmenmid1blk01.jpg.894c4712de8f9e9eea0d120f35281a71.jpg

The suggestion to try a midsize on 1 or 2 clubs to see if you like it before re-gripping your whole set is an excellent idea.  It gives you the opportunity for a side-by-side comparison without spending a lot of money. 

• Upvote 2

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Which makes you wonder why grips taper at all! Our hands don't taper! My right hand, with maybe some microscopic differences, is basically the same size as my left. Why shouldn't grips be the same thickness from butt to tip.

I have pretty big hands - XL or XXL gloves if I can find them - and use midsize grips. Definitely never going back to standard. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

17 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Which makes you wonder why grips taper at all! Our hands don't taper! My right hand, with maybe some microscopic differences, is basically the same size as my left. Why shouldn't grips be the same thickness from butt to tip.

I've heard this viewpoint before, and it actually makes sense.  I am pretty neutral on this topic and don't feel strongly one way or the other, but I would say unless a player uses a 10-finger or baseball type grip, even though our hands are the same size the left and right hands don't grip the club the same way, so if a grip tapers, it's fine.  If a player likes a non-tapered grip, that's cool too.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I've read some stories where some players, including pros, like an extra wrap or two of grip tape under the fore end of the grip to build it up a little bit. And I think it was in "The Bogeyman" by George Plimpton, where he wrote about Ray Floyd taking his irons to the equipment trailer at a Tour stop to be re-gripped. When he went to pick them up he waggled one and said, "Albie, what'd you do? Put an extra tape wrap under these grips?!" Albie said, "Yeah, Mr. Floyd. I thought that was how you liked them," So, Ray Floyd had a sense of touch that could detect one extra wrap of tape under the grip.

This leads me to believe that many pros have very specific ideas of how they want the tape under their grips.

And since this game is all about feel, if it feels better to swing a club with an oversize grip, so be it. I've tried them and just couldn't get used to them. I've always gone back to standard.

I just bought new grips and missed the opportunity to go up to midsize.

I have some older second hand clubs that I really enjoy practicing with. They came with Golf Pride wraps and I thought if I bought the same grips for my regular set, it might help. I brought the older club into my local shop and when the owner asked if I wanted midsize, I told him standard (I don't have large hands). I didn't realize until I put that first grip on why he'd asked. The grip on the older club is larger. Now I'm wondering if the oversized grips are what I like about that club.

Jon

Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!