IGNORED

Lexi Thompson's 4 Stroke Penalty at the ANA

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 2127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 hours ago, mvmac said:

One quick note about whoever sent the email. I think for those that wanted Lexi to win it's easy to characterize the person as some schmuck in his underwear eating Cheetos. Just as I did initially. We really don't know who it was, heck it could have been Lexi's playing partner. Because the information of who to call or email isn't easily available I suspect it may have been someone more directly involved with the tournament. 

With the help of hi-tech software and confidential resources, the identity of the emailer has been confirmed.  Since this information has not been made public yet, I'd appreciate it if you guys kept this under your hat until the official announcement. Mr. Cheetah has not commented on the incident.

motivator4277439.jpg.5433ac6f49c0c5726d2ba2a2ec3e4e0c.jpg

(this is of course meant to be funny.  no offense or disrespect intended)

• Upvote 4

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

With the help of hi-tech software and confidential resources, the identity of the emailer has been confirmed.  Since this information has not been made public yet, I'd appreciate it if you guys kept this under your hat until the official announcement. Mr. Cheetah has not commented on the incident.

motivator4277439.jpg.5433ac6f49c0c5726d2ba2a2ec3e4e0c.jpg

(this is of course meant to be funny.  no offense or disrespect intended)

:dance:

And I don't even like Cheetos!

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

20 hours ago, RH31 said:

I disagree with whoever thinks she just picked it up to purposely move it ....or it blatantly cheat.

Is there anything you can point to that would make you "disagree" with what is clearly evidenced by the video?

The word "cheat" is a pretty big one, but in this case, it is has been 100% accurately applied.

If the video was of your least favourire player, would you hold this position?

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

18 hours ago, Shorty said:

Is there anything you can point to that would make you "disagree" with what is clearly evidenced by the video?

The word "cheat" is a pretty big one, but in this case, it is has been 100% accurately applied.

If the video was of your least favourire player, would you hold this position?

I don't dispute the fact that she replaced her ball in a different spot than it was originally marked. Infraction.

I just don't think she did it on purpose.

To me, the definition of cheating is intentionally breaking a rule to gain advantage. So, in my mind, a cheater is worse than a rule breaker.

I can't think of a least favorite player on any tour, though there are a few I like on the LPGA more than Lexi.

I'll answer this way. If Lexi had;

Crouched down and read the putt from directly behind... or moved the ball closer....or if there was an obvious spike mark or ball mark in her line.....or if there was a say a moving shadow around the ball....any of those things happen and then she moves it and I'd say I think she did it on purpose.

4 hours ago, RH31 said:

I just don't think she did it on purpose.

Because you like her. I think the consensus is that she cheated. The debate is really about the call-ins and the extra 2 shots she was penalised. Despite this, the rules were applied appropriately. Part of the problem was when the official who told her about it stupidly said that there was no intent - as if she'd know.

10 hours ago, RH31 said:

Crouched down and read the putt from directly behind... or moved the ball closer....or if there was an obvious spike mark or ball mark in her line.....or if there was a say a moving shadow around the ball....any of those things happen and then she moves it and I'd say I think she did it on purpose.

surely you can find another 10 reasons to defend her?

But in all of those you have failed to explain how someone standing over the ball and not moving their head(equivalent to the camera not moving in the video below) can make an error of this magnitude:

Edited by sac1

15 hours ago, Shorty said:

Because you like her. I think the consensus is that she cheated. The debate is really about the call-ins and the extra 2 shots she was penalised. Despite this, the rules were applied appropriately. Part of the problem was when the official who told her about it stupidly said that there was no intent - as if she'd know.

No. Because I can't see what she gained by doing it.

10 hours ago, sac1 said:

surely you can find another 10 reasons to defend her?

But in all of those you have failed to explain how someone standing over the ball and not moving their head(equivalent to the camera not moving in the video below) can make an error of this magnitude:

No. That's all that comes to mind.

How? No idea. My only guess would be she is such a shaky putter, she somehow out of her routine/comfort zone and got rattled.

I'll check out the video thread.

7 hours ago, RH31 said:

No. Because I can't see what she gained by doing it.

Geez - she gained an advantage by having the ball out of a small depression or away from a spike mark. It wasn't a gimme. It made it easier for her.

If it had been a tap in she would've just tapped it in.

14 hours ago, Shorty said:

Geez - she gained an advantage by having the ball out of a small depression or away from a spike mark. It wasn't a gimme. It made it easier for her.

If it had been a tap in she would've just tapped it in.

When she placed the ball back down, she created another small depression.  That is how gravity works and is why putters have loft. It is curious that you are absolutely sure she intentionally cheated.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

When she placed the ball back down, she created another small depression.  That is how gravity works and is why putters have loft. It is curious that you are absolutely sure she intentionally cheated.

The only one that knows why she did it is Lexi herself. Technically it is cheating, she moved her ball from the spot it was resting on and placed it in a different spot. Why she did it is a whole different question an only Lexi knows the answer to that. My personal opinion, which is worth exactly nothing, is that she has a habit of doing that in practice rounds to avoid something in her line and she did it without consciously thinking about it during the tournament. I have seen the same type of thing in tournaments I have played in, I've seen tap-in putts picked up, balls rolled in the fairway and clubs grounded in hazards because the players are used to playing that way in casual rounds and don't think about it when they are in competition.

43 minutes ago, WestKyGolfer said:

The only one that knows why she did it is Lexi herself. Technically it is cheating, she moved her ball from the spot it was resting on and placed it in a different spot. Why she did it is a whole different question an only Lexi knows the answer to that. My personal opinion, which is worth exactly nothing, is that she has a habit of doing that in practice rounds to avoid something in her line and she did it without consciously thinking about it during the tournament. I have seen the same type of thing in tournaments I have played in, I've seen tap-in putts picked up, balls rolled in the fairway and clubs grounded in hazards because the players are used to playing that way in casual rounds and don't think about it when they are in competition.

or, when she was putting the marker down, she broke her routine by approaching from the side - in order to be courteous to the other players line.  and put it in line with her body (routine) without thinking

and then when she replaced it, she put it in line with the hole because that's how she's done it a billion times

breaking any aspect of a highly repeated routine and dumb mistakes happen

understandable, and the 2 strokes were appropriate, and a bit sad.

Bill - 

The more I think about this the more I think she cheated, like Phil said the move has become common and we've seen it before, but Lexi and the other players probably feel it's a rule that shouldn't be enforced and everyone does it so why not me?

The fact that she was winning a tournament- super focused, and that she didn't line up the putt in a normal way that would warrant touching the ball, means that no way would she miss the spot by that much, and there is no other reason for touching the ball but to move it. She cheated.

And we've heard from a few other players on the tour in support of Lexi, but overall not that many, I think there are tons of players applauding this ruling.

Edited by MrDC

She didnt intend to cheat. The girl was lapping the field and you really think she was worried about a 2 ft putt. I think some of you just like accusing people of cheating like the call in or email in or whatever.

• Upvote 1

We have a very well respected Rules official at our club, Clyde Luther.

https://www.virginiagolfhalloffame.com/inductees/clyde-luther/

Just one of his achievements:

"Served as the NCAA Division I head Rules official from 2000-11. Remains as the head Rules official for the Atlantic Coast Conference"

I asked him about the Lexi Thompson ruling and he definitely wasn't a fan of it.  He was OK with the two stroke penalty, even though he didn't like the call in, as it's not applied to all golfers who don't have the camera on them.  And he definitely was not a fan of the retro-active 2 stroke penalty for the incorrect scorecard signing.  I didn't get a chance to ask him what he would've done in the situation as I was heading out for my tee time, but I'll ask him the next time I see him and see what he says.

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

9 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

We have a very well respected Rules official at our club, Clyde Luther.

https://www.virginiagolfhalloffame.com/inductees/clyde-luther/

Just one of his achievements:

"Served as the NCAA Division I head Rules official from 2000-11. Remains as the head Rules official for the Atlantic Coast Conference"

I asked him about the Lexi Thompson ruling and he definitely wasn't a fan of it.  He was OK with the two stroke penalty, even though he didn't like the call in, as it's not applied to all golfers who don't have the camera on them.  And he definitely was not a fan of the retro-active 2 stroke penalty for the incorrect scorecard signing.  I didn't get a chance to ask him what he would've done in the situation as I was heading out for my tee time, but I'll ask him the next time I see him and see what he says.

Yeah, I'd be interested to hear.  If he were on the committee, and was provided the information as to the breach.  Information that was easily reviewed and confirmed, what would he do?  Ignore it, or apply the rules?  Those are really the only 2 options...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

20 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

She didnt intend to cheat. The girl was lapping the field and you really think she was worried about a 2 ft putt. I think some of you just like accusing people of cheating like the call in or email in or whatever.

I have no idea if she breached the rule intentionally or not, but I do know she wasn't lapping the field.  A 2 shot lead with 7 holes to play could be considered by some as a slim lead.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

17 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

She didnt intend to cheat. 

I disagree.  In the space of about one second she; misplaced the marker to the side, lifted the ball, and put the ball back down in an obviously different position.

I'm not saying she intended to cheat, but I think that's enough evidence to doubt any conclusion.

IMO, she deserved the two stroke penalty for improperly replacing the ball.  I do not think she deserved the additional two stroke penalty.  Had she been notified on the day of the occurrence, she could have corrected the card.  It's only due to the lateness of the penalty enforcement that she had the additional penalty.

I am unsure if my opinion would change if the rule were still automatic disqualification for such an act.  The harshness of the penalty shouldn't change the conclusion, but it still seems harsh.  I'm pleased that they changed the rule.  Similarly, I'm not sure how I feel about the upcoming change.  Whenever rules are changed to make things "fair", people seem to find a new way to cheat.

3 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

A 2 shot lead with 7 holes to play could be considered by some as a slim lead.

Just ask Justin Rose... ;-) 

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 2127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!