IGNORED

Tiger Has Spine Fusion Surgery

iacas
Note: This thread is 2525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 4/20/2017 at 1:14 PM, coachjimsc said:

I was thinking the same thing.

My dad had back fusion surgery back in 1980. Still plays golf once a week and just turned 78.

That's good to hear. My dad had a few of these done and, now, couldn't play if he wanted to. 

I had a graft done for knee acl replacement. Mention it because I'm pretty sure one of my screws backed out post-graft. Doesn't cause a problem so it stays. Just feels weird feeling a screw head in the front of my knee. I'm beat to s&%t...

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

So good money is on "Tiger will never win another major"??????

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So my son has a classmate whose dad is an orthopedic surgeon. In a casual conversation about L5-S1 fusion last weekend during the soccer game, he mentioned that that particular junction provides a significant portion of spine rotation - but usually what's lost in one joint is mostly made up by adjacent joints. For most parts bending is actually more limited for lot of folks with fusion than rotation. There are no absolutes.

Anyway, yeah, in the least top level golf looking like a long shot.

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

On 4/20/2017 at 3:49 PM, iacas said:

This one (I wish it was narrated) shows you pretty much what goes on. They go in through the front, push your guts to the side, move your aorta and vena cava to the side, take out the disc, and replace it with a spacer and fuse the bones together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waal6ysBxco

Minimally invasive? I'd hate to see maximum invasive! 

2 hours ago, CMartis said:

Minimally invasive? I'd hate to see maximum invasive! 

Not to be argumentative but they don't touch your aorta and they don't push your intestines aside. They do use laparoscope for anterior entry. That's just FYI but the real issue is some recover very nicely and some do not. Only time will tell and I hope Tiger is in the group that recovers nicely.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, waldo said:

Not to be argumentative but they don't touch your aorta and they don't push your intestines aside.

That's not what the videos I posted suggest.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

That's not what the videos I posted suggest.

I agree, I was commenting on the quote in post 41 by CMartis. If I misunderstood that's my bad :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Im all out of cares to give as far as Tiger's career goes. Theres only so many yo-yos a sports fan can take. I hope he plays again, but I'm not holding my breath. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

Given Tiger's lack of forthrightness, I am not optimistic about him being competitive again. But I am glad he is pain free. 

IMHO, he needs to retire now and forget about returning to PGA. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 2525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!