IGNORED

Tiger Has Spine Fusion Surgery

iacas
Note: This thread is 2524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Tiger underwent an "Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (MIS ALIF) at L5/S1".

I honestly wondered why he didn't do this before. You can have a few fusions and still turn plenty well enough to play golf.

http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2017/04/20/225438912/tiger-undergoes-successful-back-surgery-to-alleviate-pain

Due to previous herniations and three surgeries, Woods' bottom lower-back disc severely narrowed, causing sciatica and severe back and leg pain. Conservative therapy, which included rehabilitation, medications, limiting activities and injections, failed as a permanent solution, and Woods opted to have surgery. The procedure was a minimally invasive Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (MIS ALIF) at L5/S1. The surgery entailed removing the damaged disc and re-elevating the collapsed disc space to normal levels. This allows the one vertebrae to heal to the other. The goal is to relieve the pressure on the nerve and to give the nerve the best chance of healing. 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 minute ago, MacDutch said:

So an other year to heal? Or is this minor to the other back operations he had?

I think it's relatively minor. But I'm googling it like you may be, too, right now.

Or just reading the article on his site:

"If you are going to have single-level fusion, the bottom level is the best place for it to occur. Some individuals are born with one less vertebrae, which would be similar to someone who had a single-level fusion," Guyer added.

Woods will now rest for several weeks, then begin therapy and treatment. While each procedure and case is unique, patients typically return to full activity in about six months.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

One won't embed, but the one that does is on a real person, so don't even click the spoiler if you don't want to see a video of this surgery on a real person.

Spoiler

This one (I wish it was narrated) shows you pretty much what goes on. They go in through the front, push your guts to the side, move your aorta and vena cava to the side, take out the disc, and replace it with a spacer and fuse the bones together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waal6ysBxco

• Upvote 1

I wish him well. Surely there comes a point though, where being able to walk and being relatively pain-free transcends any lingering desires to play competitive golf against men half your age.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

where being able to walk and being relatively pain-free

I think this surgery had more to do with that than anything else.

19 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

This could actually be really good..

I was thinking the same thing.

My dad had back fusion surgery back in 1980. Still plays golf once a week and just turned 78.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

I really hope he gets back (no pun intended.) Honestly I don't have much hope on Tiger playing anymore. I know it's been said he still moved the needle more than anyone. But for how much longer?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

13 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

I wish him well. Surely there comes a point though, where being able to walk and being relatively pain-free transcends any lingering desires to play competitive golf against men half your age.

Quality of life matters. I've mentioned it before in other threads, but I've gotten the impression from Tiger that what he wants most now is to be able to be healthy and spend time with his family, not win majors. 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

I was thinking the same thing.

My dad had back fusion surgery back in 1980. Still plays golf once a week and just turned 78.

Yeah takes away the pain from relative motion and the mobility sacrifice is very little from a single fusion from what I know.

Cheers to your dad.. Always love hearing seniors living an active life in general. 

Vishal S.

I don't know how anyone could golf with a disc pushing on a nerve. Ouch! Hope this is very successful for Tiger.

Nice video. I love that stuff. Maybe this will give him the relief he needs to get back to the tour.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, TN94z said:

Nice video. I love that stuff. Maybe this will give him the relief he needs to get back to the tour.

I think he's just hoping it gives him the relief he needs to play with his kids.

Just now, iacas said:

I think he's just hoping it gives him the relief he needs to play with his kids.

That's obviously most important, no doubt. I would just like to see him be able to play a little more

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

My father in law had this surgery in ~2015. It took him about 6-8 months to heal up and continue playing golf. 

Not sure if Tiger is thinking golf anymore, although I'm sure he won't say so for some time.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Note: This thread is 2524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!