IGNORED

The Fifth Major - 2017 Players Championship

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Maybe the best field of the year is at The Players - because to qualify you have to:
- win an event since last years Players
- Top 50 in OWGR
- Top 10 in FedEx points (for 2017)
- Gold medal winner from 2016 Olympics (Rose)
- Top 125 from 2016 FedExCup Points list
- others - Kaymer (TPC last 5 years), Els (Open Champion last 5 years), Every (Palmer Inv. & Memorial winner last 3 years), Langer (Senior Players winner prior year), Grayson Murray (Prior year Web.com leading money winner)

The original field was 147, Charles Howell III dropped out but there will not be an alternate added unless the field drops below 144.
Pairings will likely be released later tomorrow - Jason Day is there to defend, along with prior winners - Rickie, Kaymer, Kuch, Henrick, Sergio, Phil, Scott (from 2004).

I haven't looked at the weather, but for a pick'em contest go ahead and pick the total number of balls in the water on 17.
I'll pick 37

• 2016 - 36
  • 2015 - 45
  • 2014 - 28
  • 2013 - 44
  • 2012 - 39
  • 2011 - 40
  • 2010 - 29
  • 2009 - 32
  • 2008 - 64
  • 2007 - 93
  • 2006 - 67
  • 2005 - 68
  • 2004 - 30
  • 2003 - 29

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Gotta pick 42.

Edited by krupa

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Blayne Barber (who?) with the early lead - with his eagle on #2. Only needs to hold that lead for the next 70 holes to win his first tour event.

Barber has obviously cooled off, now -1 after 6 holes.
Let's see if I can jinx the current leader - Kyle Stanley, birdies his first 4 holes to be the sole leader (on pace to shoot a record 54 today)

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Blayne Barber (who?) with the early lead - with his eagle on #2. Only needs to hold that lead for the next 70 holes to win his first tour event.

This tournament always seems to present itself to relative no-namers and bizarre leaderboards. I think that's a function of a course that's more gimmicky and quirky than it is good, but that's just me.

Heard on the radio driving back from playing that there were 11 in the drink at 17 already today. Also heard that Ricky and Sergio had holes in one there.

11 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Also heard that Ricky and Sergio had holes in one there

Too bad for Ricky that he got his during the practice round.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/spieth-73-blames-poor-rake-job-costly-double-bogey/?cid=rr_trending_p9

Bwahaha.. I know he was irate but I am sure he had to know he was going to get flamed for complaining about this..:-D. I get it that this was all man made but who thinks they deserve a better lie in of all places, a hazard.. ha ha.  

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

33 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

but who thinks they deserve a better lie in of all places, a hazard.. ha ha.  

I'm going to say everyone on the Tour would get pissed, what differs is how the deal with it and how they express themselves

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2017 at 6:21 AM, skydog said:

This tournament always seems to present itself to relative no-namers and bizarre leaderboards. I think that's a function of a course that's more gimmicky and quirky than it is good, but that's just me.

This tournament consistently produces the best players that compete and win. Sure you may have a no name make a run in the first couple rounds but it is rare for a Perks to win. A large portion of the winners also have a major or win one after the Players.

Trollin' is the life

48 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I'm going to say everyone on the Tour would get pissed, what differs is how the deal with it and how they express themselves

Yes, I would agree with that. He took pics for a rules official. Not sure how that would have changed anything from a rules stand perspective for either himself or whoever didn't rake it properly.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

24 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

A large portion of the winners also have a major or win one after the Players.

By win one after, do you mean the same year? This doesn't validate that it should be a major anyways. 

It doesn't feel like a Major. Honestly the course is not rememberable besides holes 16,17,18. It's pretty much target golf.

4 majors is fine. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

(edited)

Not sure if this goes here, or in the worst score on a hole thread

Anirban Lahini today on the 18th TPC (that's a 10 - to shoot 75, and going from the cut line to the airport check in line)

anirban TPC.png

Edited by Wally Fairway

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

By win one after, do you mean the same year? This doesn't validate that it should be a major anyways. 

It doesn't feel like a Major. Honestly the course is not rememberable besides holes 16,17,18. It's pretty much target golf.

4 majors is fine. 

No not in the same year. In a career. Make a list of champions for past 30 years. There are not many Craig Perks.

Trollin' is the life

40 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

No not in the same year. In a career. Make a list of champions for past 30 years. There are not many Craig Perks.

My earlier point was that TPC is an entertaining course, but it's not a great course...and I think most of the players feel that way.

It's produced some great champions but it typically isn't one of those courses like Pebble, Augusta, St. Andrews, etc. that consistently produce great leaderboards.

That said, we've got a pretty solid leaderboard at this point. Should be a fun weekend.

2 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

Only 8 out of the past 15 have a major win under there belts. 

Just because major winners have won at this tournament doesn't make it a Major. What about the Bridgestone Inv. It has a strong field and major champions have routinely as well? You can get a handful of tournaments that have these same qualities. There isn't a cry for them to be majors. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Only 8 out of the past 15 have a major win under there belts. 

Just because major winners have won at this tournament doesn't make it a Major. What about the Bridgestone Inv. It has a strong field and major champions have routinely as well? You can get a handful of tournaments that have these same qualities. There isn't a cry for them to be majors. 

I have never asked it to be made into the 5th major. It is a good track and top players routinely win it. Someone said it has obscure players on top of the leaderboards when the winners have been pretty well known.

Trollin' is the life

Note: This thread is 2530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!