IGNORED

McIlroy signs with TaylorMade

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Interesting that of the guys who've recently been on the market for changing companies, none as far as I know have gone to Titleist. I can be wrong.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Interesting that of the guys who've recently been on the market for changing companies, none as far as I know have gone to Titleist.

Titleist's endorsement model is different. They seem to sign every new pro they can get their hands on but don't match the other companies payout once the player's asking price increases. Only a few loyalists seem to stick with Titleist once they get into the top 20.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Baog said:

Titleist's endorsement model is different. They seem to sign every new pro they can get their hands on but don't match the other companies payout once the player's asking price increases. Only a few loyalists seem to stick with Titleist once they get into the top 20.

This.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like Taylormade's golf balls.  I've recently switched to their "tour preferred x" - last years model (new ones are TP5, I think).

With regards to Rory's deal, I am sure he got the best deal he can.  Good for him.  Free market at its best.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

On 5/10/2017 at 10:35 AM, JetFan1983 said:

Good point. When you consider how much he struggled with the new equipment in 2013, logic dictates he won't win this week. He also just got married. He played by far the best golf of his career after he broke it off with Carolina Wozniacki. Combine these things together, and he in theory should play poorly this week haha.

On the counter-intuitive side of things however, marriage can really settle a person down and get them in a good place, so he could end up playing really well too. I know he'll probably be lower owned on Draftkings because of the equipment change, so that reason alone is grounds for using him.

I'll probably be avoiding him though. Bombers are neutralized at TPC Sawgrass because it's much more about placing it to a certain area of the fairway than just gripping it and ripping it. The fairways are too narrow at 300+ to have driver in your hands as much as a player like Rory would want to.

Fun to think about though for sure.

When Rory signed w/Nike I used to joke with my golf buddies that Tiger talked him into it, because Tiger saw him as a genuine threat. Tiger wanted him playing goofy, jacked up Nike equipment that he couldn't make work!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

When Rory signed w/Nike I used to joke with my golf buddies that Tiger talked him into it, because Tiger saw him as a genuine threat. Tiger wanted him playing goofy, jacked up Nike equipment that he couldn't make work!

Lol. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer....

Constantine

This business marriage isn't off to a great start with Rory's health woes. He's too young to be having the problems he's having. I hope he can get things turned around and perhaps make some minor changes to promote some longevity in his career.

At the current rate their going, I fear Rory's and Day's careers will effectively be done by their mid 30s if not sooner.

Edited by skydog

5 minutes ago, skydog said:

This business marriage isn't off to a great start with Rory's health woes. He's too young to be having the problems he's having. I hope he can get things turned around and perhaps make some minor changes to promote some longevity in his career.

At the current rate their going, I fear Rory's and Day's careers will effectively be done by their mid 30s if not sooner.

Rory is going to need a hip replacement before he's 40 if he doesn't do something about that hip stall thing he does through impact.  I cant say whats going on with Day. His swing doesn't seem to be as violent as Rory's is. 

On 5/20/2017 at 9:44 PM, Yukari said:

I actually like Taylormade's golf balls.  I've recently switched to their "tour preferred x" - last years model (new ones are TP5, I think).

With regards to Rory's deal, I am sure he got the best deal he can.  Good for him.  Free market at its best.

This years 5 piece ball is the best i've ever hit. I just bought 6 dozen after playing two rounds with them, then two with the ProV1. I especially like the feel off my blades, and I averaged 5-8 yards longer per club based on on my gps. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2017 at 8:44 PM, Yukari said:

I like them a lot also, but hate the way the cover literally cuts with one hard wedge shot.  Not scuff, pure cut lol.  

I'm curious what equipment the rest of the former Nike guys are going to as Rory is the only one of them that the world will be given notice of lol

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Note: This thread is 2478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!