IGNORED

dress code

kiwi g
Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

do you think golf needs to relax its dress code  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think golf needs to relax its dress code?

• yes
    • no

15 hours ago, Hategolf said:

I'm all about paying respects to the occasion by attempting not looking like I don't give a shit. It is a matter of common courtesy. Money has nothing to do with it. 

Why should you consider dressing up at times? Well, it shows that you care!, it takes time to prepare a nice ironed shirt and a nicely pressed paired of pants if needed be. A wrinkly t-shirt and a pair of cut off jeans IMO speaks pretty loudly. You might say to yourself..I care as much as any one else. The problem however is that it would not show it. 

It would not show it because people like you prefer to put your expectations on others.  Why do/should you care what anyone else wears while golfing?

• Upvote 1

Fascinating thread, shows how the generations view the world among other factors? And many of the views use extremes to make their point, e.g. cut off jeans, ratty T-shirts. I'm still baffled with the objection to cargo shorts, not the huge baggy ones, but the ones that are the same cut as "golf shorts" with extra pockets on the front. I also don't see how tucking in your shirt or having a collar have much to do with golf. I guess back when players wore plus fours and ties they were outraged at what's acceptable golf attire to much of today's older generation.

Again, the Boomers and older generations are keeping younger generations away in droves by clinging to old norms IMHO. The sport will decline further/faster if that persists? Golf is more expensive and takes longer than many competing pastimes, is it really necessary to exacerbate the problem because someone otherwise neatly dressed doesn't have their shirt tucked in with a belt on?

Edited by Midpack
  • Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Frankly, I'm starting to think that dress codes have become necessary since people refuse to dress appropriately on their own.  Defendants showing up to court in shorts and shirts with the sleeves cut off is indicative of a problem.  A golf course doesn't need to be quite so formal, though.

I have pretty minimal views of what is "respectful" on a golf course.  I personally generally wear long pants (sometimes shorts) and a collared shirt, but that's probably due to advances in textiles.  When I was younger, I wore jeans shorts and tee shirts to the local muni because that's what I had that would be remotely comfortable.  

Since my friends and I were pretty much the only ones on the course one particular day when our school was the only one not having classes, we decided to take our shirts off and get a tan while golfing.  We were reprimanded by an employee and told to put them back I.  Looking back, I think this was the correct thing to do.  We were just trying to get tans, not be disrespectful, but I think the correction was warranted.

I think a Course has the right to apply and enforce a dress code.  I'd hope that they relax it a bit if a visitor were unaware of it when first playing.  If a course does not want a dress code, good for them.  If you think the clientele at your local course is dressed in appropriately, speak with an employee about how you think people should be dressed, state that you will not patronize a place that allows such horrible cretins to breathe the same air as you, and then do not return.  The free market will decide if your business was important enough for them to force your opinions on others.

To those who constantly repeat that the jeans shouldn't be worn because they are uncomfortable:  They may not be comfortable for YOU (although I really don't get this unless it's a climate issue), but your comfort and mine or another's are not equal.  I've worn jeans as my leg-wear of choice my entire life, both for work and play.  The same is true of 95% of the people I've worked and played with.  

I don't wear them when it's 95° out (I usually wear neat cargo shorts), but I do play a LOT of golf in 50° and 60° weather, and they are perfect for that.  They are tough and take a lot of punishment, but are easy to clean.  They offer many different fits, so comfort and freedom of movement is only compromised if you choose the wrong style.  They have a wide range of prices from Rustler, to Wrangler to Levis to designer styles.  

I wear Wranglers mostly, relaxed fit, and I can't imagine anything better for all around wear.  I wear them to work in the yard.  I wear them camping and fishing.  I wear them when we go out in the evening.  I wear them until the summer heat dictates shorts, but even then I will sometimes change back to jeans on cool summer nights here on the high plains or in the mountains.

League this evening will probably be jeans, as the high today is forecast to be only 60°.  I'll wait and see if it's cargo shorts or denim, but those are really the only choices I'll have to make.  I choose not to play at venues where my preferences are under a decree of prohibition.  There are plenty of really good golf courses which adhere to a more unfettered point of view.

Edited by Fourputt
  • Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Generally speaking, as long as you are wearing shorts/pants and a t-shirt at minimum most courses around here don't care. However, at nicer courses I don't know why a more strict dress code can't be implemented. These courses are trying to appeal to a different market of people who expect a certain level of decorum. I don't mind if there's a dress code and I'll actively look to make sure before I visit a course so that I know what's required of me. I can golf in jeans and a t-shirt just as well as I can in golf slacks and a polo shirt. The only clothing that will cause me issues is if I have to wear long sleeves or layers, and that's never going to be something that a club requires so I've never worried. I guess, in direct response to the question, no I don't think golf needs to relax it's dress code because most courses I've played already have pretty relaxed rules on dress and I'd hate to see it get any more relaxed.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

To those who constantly repeat that the jeans shouldn't be worn because they are uncomfortable:  They may not be comfortable for YOU (although I really don't get this unless it's a climate issue), but your comfort and mine or another's are not equal.  I've worn jeans as my leg-wear of choice my entire life, both for work and play.  The same is true of 95% of the people I've worked and played with.  

I don't wear them when it's 95° out (I usually wear neat cargo shorts), but I do play a LOT of golf in 50° and 60° weather, and they are perfect for that.  They are tough and take a lot of punishment, but are easy to clean.  They offer many different fits, so comfort and freedom of movement is only compromised if you choose the wrong style.  They have a wide range of prices from Rustler, to Wrangler to Levis to designer styles.  

I wear Wranglers mostly, relaxed fit, and I can't imagine anything better for all around wear.  I wear them to work in the yard.  I wear them camping and fishing.  I wear them when we go out in the evening.  I wear them until the summer heat dictates shorts, but even then I will sometimes change back to jeans on cool summer nights here on the high plains or in the mountains.

League this evening will probably be jeans, as the high today is forecast to be only 60°.  I'll wait and see if it's cargo shorts or denim, but those are really the only choices I'll have to make.  I choose not to play at venues where my preferences are under a decree of prohibition.  There are plenty of really good golf courses which adhere to a more unfettered point of view.

Agree 100%.

And bonus points for using "unfettered"!!

• Upvote 1

Maybe it is the non-conformist in me, but I never understood the notion that someones attire was disrespectful. 
unless there are specific rules and they are clearly outline and posted, isnt "disrespectful" subjective? (just like my wearing a ball cap at dinner, how is that lacking respect? if asked to remove I will, otherwise go fly a kite!)

My home course is in the middle of a former industrial/manufacturing city. They have no dressing rooms and most chose jeans and t-shirts as a attire. The course for the last 50 year has never turned away a Vet, factory worker or anyone who chose blue jeans and t-shirts. 
With the competitiveness or and saturation of the market courses who turn people away must have an established funding stream.

For the record I golf in black shorts (not cargo) and a microfiber polo shirt. 2 reasons for this:
1- not comfortable in jeans (never wear them)
2- I arrive at the course from work, where I am usually wearing a polo shirt

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

3 hours ago, MRR said:

... we decided to take our shirts off and get a tan while golfing.  We were reprimanded by an employee and told to put them back I.  Looking back, I think this was the correct thing to do.  We were just trying to get tans, not be disrespectful, ...

My experience with shirtless golf didn't lead to a reprimand, but it didn't last long. Both times I tried shirtless, I had major swing  problems because I couldn't feel the tug of my clothing on my torso.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

1 hour ago, Elmer said:

Maybe it is the non-conformist in me, but I never understood the notion that someones attire was disrespectful. 
unless there are specific rules and they are clearly outline and posted, isnt "disrespectful" subjective?

For the most part I agree with this but I have seen some t-shirts on people walking down the street that I would not want my kids to see [if I had kids]. 

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I'm surprised by all the courses that allow t-shirts. I'm not sure any around here do. Blue jeans are usually not allowed, either, except for once it turns colder. That's not to say I really care about dress code, but I think I'd rather wear golf attire than street clothes because it's more comfortable for walking if you're going to be sweating at all.

• Upvote 1

Interestingly, in nearly 50 years of playing golf at everything from 9-hole munis, to military courses, to private clubs, and everything in between, throughout the U.S., and around the world, I don't think that I've ever seen someone golfing in jeans.

Just an observation.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Interestingly, in nearly 50 years of playing golf at everything from 9-hole munis, to military courses, to private clubs, and everything in between, throughout the U.S., and around the world, I don't think that I've ever seen someone golfing in jeans.

Just an observation.

I see guys golfing in jeans every time I play.

Just now, Zekez said:

I see guys golfing in jeans every time I play.

Huh.  Maybe it's a regional thing.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

14 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Huh.  Maybe it's a regional thing.

In SW PA.  Near Pittsburgh.  Blue collar !!  :)

Aside from my brother, who owns two types of pants (jeans and pajamas), jeans on a golf course are a rare thing to see around these parts. Aside from the rare rounds with my bruv, the times I can clearly remember it were at our area's cheapest daily-fee courses. Even the dubious environs of Kittyhawk rarely see denim.

37 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Just an observation.

There were about 16 of us wearing jeans at yesterday's men's club game. Of course it didn't get much past 50 deg in north central Minnesota 

45 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Just an observation.

You need to broaden your horizons - take a road trip out here to the wild west.  You won't have to search very hard to find guys playing in jeans in the spring, fall, and winter.  In the summer not as much, although it still happens.  In the summer most wear shorts, although it's not hard to find t-shirts with those shorts.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!