IGNORED

Breath with Movement

JCrane
Note: This thread is 2407 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Have you ever got up in the morning and checked to see if you were breathing ? Of course not .no one does that. Breathing is unconscious and the only time we check our breath is when we have trouble with it, but did you know your breath can effect your golf game. How you ask ? Most of us have heard of Fight or Flight, it is the body's automatic response to danger. It came in handy in our early days when wild animals were chasing us. the muscles tightened, and breath was short and we prepared to fight or run. Today it is not the wild animal but maybe that 3 ft birdie put that causes us to go into fight or flight and that is not the time we want to do it. We want the muscles nice and loose, so we can feel the stroke and the best way to do that is by first becoming aware of how we are breathing, then to consciously change the breath to a deep breath. The deep breath will send a signal to the body that there is no threat and the muscles can relax. So deep breathing starts with awareness, so we can make the necessary changes to create a new habit of breathing to benefit our game. I am reminded of Aaron Rogers who was asked what he was thinking before he drove the Packers to the winning field goal against Dallas last year. He replied "I was not thinking about anything, I was listening to my breath"

On 6/4/2017 at 8:25 PM, JCrane said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on how significant the breathing is during the golf swing ? 

I am reminded of the interview Aaron Rodgers gave after the last second win over the Dallas Cowboys. They asked Aaron what he was thinking about as waited on the side lines for the defense to give the ball back to the offense for that last drive. He told the interviewer he was not thinking about anything, he was listening to his breath. Aaron has discovered that the art of deep breathing has a big affect on the central nervous system and can relax the mind whether going for that last drive on the football field or lining up that 15 ft put for birdie.

Have you ever got up in the morning and checked to see if you were breathing ? Of course not .no one does that. Breathing is unconscious and the only time we check our breath is when we have trouble with it, but did you know your breath can effect your golf game. How you ask ?

Most of us have heard of Fight or Flight, it is the body's automatic response to danger. It came in handy in our early days when wild animals were chasing us. the muscles tightened, and breath was short and we prepared to fight or run. Today it is not the wild animal but maybe that 3 ft birdie put that causes us to go into fight or flight and that is not the time we want to do it.

We want the muscles nice and loose, so we can feel the stroke and the best way to do that is by first becoming aware of how we are breathing, then to consciously change the breath to a deep breath. The deep breath will send a signal to the body that there is no threat and the muscles can relax.

So deep breathing starts with awareness, so we can make the necessary changes to create a new habit of breathing to benefit our game. I am reminded of Aaron Rogers who was asked what he was thinking before he drove the Packers to the winning field goal against Dallas last year. He replied "I was not thinking about anything, I was listening to my breath"

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, takemoney said:
  Reveal hidden contents

that is something interesting, since i am an amateur when it comes to golf, i didnt think that breathing would affect, well will keep that in mind. thanks for sharing man

most of us take our breath for granted until we have trouble breathing. That is because it is controlled by our unconscious. It is said " We come into life on an inhale and leave on an exhale " Thanks for your thoughts

• Like 1

On 6/4/2017 at 11:25 PM, JCrane said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on how significant the breathing is during the golf swing ? 

I thought this may be another ploy for the 2017 Newport Cup challenge.    Your thoughts are enlightening.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tried exhaling on the back swing and inhaling on the down swing.  Then I tried the opposite.  I prefer (if I have to think about it) to inhale, on the back swing, and exhale through the ball.  It feels more natural that way.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I never even thought about it before. I know that breathing is used in mediation. I can see breathing used as a trigger. It might be good to use breathing to try to gain concentration and mindfulness on the shot at hand. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I find that I play better when I breathe than when I don't. :-D 

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

4 hours ago, Piz said:

I tried exhaling on the back swing and inhaling on the down swing.  Then I tried the opposite.  I prefer (if I have to think about it) to inhale, on the back swing, and exhale through the ball.  It feels more natural that way.

We usually exhale when we are applying force, such as lifting something, so it makes more sense to exhale on the downswing 

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

I never even thought about it before. I know that breathing is used in mediation. I can see breathing used as a trigger. It might be good to use breathing to try to gain concentration and mindfulness on the shot at hand. 

There is lots of studies that show the effect of breath on concentration and relaxation. When our muscles are relaxed we swing the putter through the ball better. Putting is a lot about feel and we can not feel if the muscles are tight

14 hours ago, JCrane said:

most of us take our breath for granted until we have trouble breathing. That is because it is controlled by our unconscious. It is said " We come into life on an inhale and leave on an exhale " Thanks for your thoughts

the quote was deep!! and yeah youre welcome and thank you for your post one more time.

good shoes will take you good places!!!

Pro boxer Manny Pacquiao plays golf for fun, and Callaway sent him a new set of clubs before his last fight.

A couple of years ago, one of the young PGA tour pros (can't remember who) said that he had done conditioning workouts with Manny. During the workouts, Manny told golf pro that proper breathing was important in boxing and throwing punches, and suggested that managing breathing would help one's golf swing. The golf pro started focusing more on breathing properly during his swing.

Key idea from many sports: Don't hold your breath during tense moments, it just makes you jumpy.

Edited by WUTiger
Spelling on "Pacquiao"

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

6 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Pro boxer Manny Pacquiao plays golf for fun, and Callaway sent him a new set of clubs before his last fight.

A couple of years ago, one of the young PGA tour pros (can't remember who) said that he had done conditioning workouts with Manny. During the workouts, Manny told golf pro that proper breathing was important in boxing and throwing punches, and suggested that managing breathing would help one's golf swing. The golf pro started focusing more on breathing properly during his swing.

Key idea from many sports: Don't hold your breath during tense moments, it just makes you jumpy.

great find, Thanks for sharing. Holding the breath during tense moments tightens the muscles ( fight or flight ) and breaks down our ability to think clearly ( grab the wrong club ) because in fight or flight we want all of our faculties focused on fleeing or fighting and neither belongs on a golf course.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Pretty sure most PGA Tour players holder their breath during their actual swing, though.

Every one I've talked to about it has said they do (six or seven - not a lot. Kind of an odd question to talk to them about.)

Leading up to the actual swing is a different matter altogether.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Breath sequence ain't gonna give one a golf swing with good mechanics.

Between shots breath where the stomach moves in and out is relaxed and helps ones attitude along with good posture but that's all mental stuff.

Really imo asking another player about that is gamesmanship and yes I have screwed with friends that way.  It's not important on the swing imo.

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Pretty sure most PGA Tour players holder their breath during their actual swing, though.

This matches with military marksmanship training. Deep breath in and out, aim, then squeeze the trigger.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

58 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

This matches with military marksmanship training. Deep breath in and out, aim, then squeeze the trigger.

yes, that would make perfect sense

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Every one I've talked to about it has said they do (six or seven - not a lot. Kind of an odd question to talk to them about.)

Leading up to the actual swing is a different matter altogether.

interesting

I found these on youtube for those who may be interested in exploring this point of view. Go to youtube and search for these videos on the breath and the swing

Golf Swing Tip | Breathe Life Into Your Golf Swing For Rhythm and Power

Breathing: Moving the Body Freely through the Swing

17 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

Breath sequence ain't gonna give one a golf swing with good mechanics.

Between shots breath where the stomach moves in and out is relaxed and helps ones attitude along with good posture but that's all mental stuff.

Really imo asking another player about that is gamesmanship and yes I have screwed with friends that way.  It's not important on the swing imo.

check out this video on youtube

leadbetter simple secrets breathing

@JCrane

Tennis players exhale through their shots hence all the interesting sounds but remember they are running around the whole time.

Ive seen a lot of tennis players with the passing shot "mhhhhhhhhh!"  

"Come on!"

In golf we are just standing there.  I file this topic either in the round section or under misc irrelevant.

Note: This thread is 2407 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!