IGNORED

TaylorMade Adds P790 Irons (Hollow Cavity) to P700-Series Irons Lineup

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Seems like TaylorMade's answer to the PXG irons.

From TaylorMade:
TaylorMade Golf, the industry leader in iron technology and innovation, announced today the expansion of its globally successful P700-series iron lineup with the addition of the P790 irons, a forged players distance iron engineered with new SpeedFoam Technology for golfers seeking the forged look and feel of a players iron with increased distance, forgiveness and playability.

256284 p790 udi 7689 598d91 large 1503332301

With P790, TaylorMade’s engineers have answered the challenge of creating a forged iron that delivers remarkable distance and playability combined with remarkable feel in a medium-compact head design with a thinner topline and reduced offset preferred by discerning players. This was accomplished by incorporating technologies that improve on feel, sound and consistency while delivering significant distance. The P790 features a soft, 8620 carbon steel body combined with a high-strength forged 4140 carbon steel WrapFace in a hollow body design.

256285 p790 udi 7806 17b500 large 1503332472

The P790’s hollow cavity incorporates SpeedFoam Technology, a new proprietary construction which serves a dual purpose of generating ball speed as well as the management of sound and feel. Injected into the clubhead, SpeedFoam provides the face support and damping properties that make the performance of the P790 unlike any other iron in the TaylorMade family.

The incorporation of the WrapFace construction creates a cut-thru Speed Pocket on the sole with extreme flexibility in the lower part of the clubface; it’s this flexibility which creates greater forgiveness and consistency than is typically seen in a distance iron design.

256286 p790 17 exploded%20club%20v3 a7a2ec original 1503332771

The P790 also features an ultra-thin 1.75mm face thickness with re-engineered Inverted Cone Technology optimized for the slightly smaller face area. Whereas the company’s previous ICT which had a larger, heavier profile, the new, smaller Inverted Cone allows for reduced face thickness at the edges of the face, thus increasing flexibility from heel to toe and low on the clubface, resulting in more ball speed across the entire face.

For forgiveness and playability, P790 irons feature strategically placed internal metal-injection-molded (MIM) tungsten weighting for precise CG placement and higher moment of inertia (MOI).

256288 p790 udi 7985 0c5093 large 1503333547

"With P790, we created a forged iron that meets the demands of discerning players and delivers distance performance never before seen in a players iron. By combining our new SpeedFoam filler and WrapFace technology with a clean, classic design, we have effectively engineered an iron that is as beautiful as it is powerful – setting the new standard for all-around iron performance."

Tomo Bystedt, Senior Director, Iron Creation

Pricing and Availability

Available at retail on September 15 (U.S. & Canada) & September 29 (globally), P790 irons will be offered in 3-PW, AW equipped with True Temper’s Dynamic Gold 105 steel shafts ($1,299) or UST Mamiya’s Recoil 760/780 ES SmacWrap graphite shafts ($1,499) with Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 grips. Numerous other custom shaft options are also available.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

They also added the P730 musclebacks, which look pretty great IMO.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

They do look nice. Though at $1399, it is a hefty price tag.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I agree.

I like the P790s, too. Kind of a sleek modern-industrial sort of vibe. Top line might be a bit too thick though. 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I really liked these when I saw a few pictures on Facebook yesterday. At second glance I still really like them, though as @billchao pointed out the top line does look a bit thick.

Definitely excited to check them out next time I'm in a golf store.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 3 weeks later...

TM just offered me these or the MCGB as a replacement to my M2 Irons. The face slot plastic on the M2s came off and while they fixed the defect for right handed clubs, they did not for left. I know I probably should do the MCGB, I really like the idea of theses. I'm a 20 handicap.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to bump this as I was fortunate enough to hit the P790 7 iron and 4 iron. These irons are the hottest I've ever hit. I didn't get 7 iron numbers on the Trackman at Demo Day, however, I stacked up their 4 iron versus my current Titleist 716 AP2 4 iron. 

First I hit my current Titleist AP2 4 iron and saw distances of 233-234 off of a tee on the Trackman. Then I hit their 4 iron and was consistently getting 245-250 yards. I know Taylormade juices their lofts a little bit, but that is a huge variance. 141 ball speed with a 4 iron is crazy. I am seriously considering ordering the P790 3 iron and dropping my hybrid. 255 off the tee on a mishit is a dream come true. The dispersion of my ball flight was a bit tighter as well. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Note: This thread is 2406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!