IGNORED

scramble strategy

mtsalmela80
Note: This thread is 2407 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am playing in a benefit scramble this weekend, haven't done one in a long time. I'm playing with a decent enough team, everyone averages in the 80s by themselves. 

Does anyone have any good strategies that could help a team get a lower score. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, mtsalmela80 said:

I am playing in a benefit scramble this weekend, haven't done one in a long time. I'm playing with a decent enough team, everyone averages in the 80s by themselves. 

Have a strong mental game. J/K

I run 2 and play in a couple other scrambles every year.  Unfortunately unless you are playing in a weird format (step aside scramble) you just have to hit it as close as you can in regulation and make putts. It's really that simple in a straight scramble.  You might have the longest driver go last or the best player go last but even with that you have to hit the ball close to the hole and make a few long-ish putts.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Uhh, it's hard to have a scramble strategy if it's a thrown-together team.

A week ago, my scramble team lost a scorecard playoff. We had a former golf pro, a low HDCP amateur, and a pair of inconsistent senior players (me included) who had flashes of brilliance every couple of holes.

Assess what you have on your team, and plan accordingly. If your A player has a 15 HDCP, it may be a long day. A few things to consider:

• On holes where a gambling drive might pay off, have the short hitters put a ball in the fairway so the long hitters can "go for it."
  • Give some thought to the 15-foot putts, even with 2-putt limit. Have everyone watch the putts to try to get a read if the first one misses.
  • Use mulligans purposefully. Redo a 10-foot putt that all missed 1" left, but not a 30-foot putt where everyone went all over the place. Or, redo an approach shot where the group went chunk, airmail, chunk, airmail in regulation shots.
  • From near the green, the shortest shot is not always the best one. Let's say you have two options:
    • A 20-foot pitch shot over the edge of a bunker into a downhill lie.
    • A 40-foot slightly uphill pitch that leads to a flat spot around the cup.
        The 40-foot shot might be better!
  • And, try to figure out a way to have fun. (It's allowed...:-O)

Your chances improve, however, if you organize a semi-pro scramble team of the idle rich and recently retired. These are groups of five or six who select the game-day foursome based upon skill mix and familiarity with the target course. These are the teams that shoot -19 and -17 when the next closest team is -12.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

It's a scramble.  Cheat better than everyone else.   ;-) 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

8 hours ago, mtsalmela80 said:

Depending on the hole, have 2 to all of you go at the pin with your approach shots. Lets say the pin is guarded by water, then try to get one ball on the green or just off the green in a safe spot. Then you have free reign to try to pin seek. You need birdie opportunities. In most cases you should be able to get up and down from most places around the green.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Go from worst to best on every shot, and only attempt to improve a bit on the previous shot.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, David in FL said:

^^^^Exactly, the best wood you hit all day better be a pencil!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

6 hours ago, David in FL said:

My advice, be the last one in. It never fails that every scramble I have ever played in, it seems the last group in wins more times than not.....usually by a single stroke, so I guess grinding over that last putt is worth it.

Nice advice. We all know each other, and I've played the majority of my golf with two of the other guys, I know their game inside and out. The third guy I might have played with once, either way its going to be a lot of fun. Just hope the rain holds off, 40% chance as of today for Saturday.

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Go from worst to best on every shot, and only attempt to improve a bit on the previous shot.

BINGO! We have a winner! Establish your "batting order". If it's a chancy shot, you might consider a "safety shot" in case your top gun doesn't pull through. The last thing you want to do is make a bogey!

Same thing on the green. The first putter is there only to show everybody else the line!

Well it was a good time. We finished -13, for a 57. Got beat by a 53 and a 56. Everyone contributed to the scoring, and not a bogey on the card, so all in all a success. We kind of just went randomly, because we were fairly equally skilled and no one was a blatant weak point.

11 hours ago, mtsalmela80 said:

Well it was a good time. We finished -13, for a 57. Got beat by a 53 and a 56. Everyone contributed to the scoring, and not a bogey on the card, so all in all a success. We kind of just went randomly, because we were fairly equally skilled and no one was a blatant weak point.

That's some pretty good scoring! 

If you don't mind my asking, what strategies did you guys use that led to such good scoring? 

Or was it not so much any strategy as it was you guys just hitting the shots you needed?

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

44 minutes ago, RandallT said:

That's some pretty good scoring! 

If you don't mind my asking, what strategies did you guys use that led to such good scoring? 

Or was it not so much any strategy as it was you guys just hitting the shots you needed?

As far as driving, two of us were shorter and more fairway bound, and the two others (myself included) were a bit longer. So the two shorter guys drove and gave us a solid option, and we just tried to murder the ball. It worked out, we played our two drives (longer guys), probably north of 90% of the time.

Again, others here mentioned go worst to best, but we didn't really have that order laid out, so with driving we did what I said above. Approach shots, we just basically went randomly. I had a number of decent approaches, and a couple other guys did as well. Basically we always had an option. Someone was always inside 10 feet for the bird.

We had mulligans, but blew em all except for one! Three mulligans a piece. Twice we each used a mulligan on a short putt, probably 8 feet or so, and didn't make any attempts! I used my last mulligan on a tee, and it actually paid off. Four of us hit terrible drives on the longest par 5 on the course, I said I'm going to use a mulligan, and I fired off a good one. I had a solid three wood next which gave us 50 or so yards to the green. We ended up with a birdie on that one.

And that, boys and girls, is why I don't play scrambles...

...ever!  :no:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

12 hours ago, mtsalmela80 said:

As far as driving, two of us were shorter and more fairway bound, and the two others (myself included) were a bit longer. So the two shorter guys drove and gave us a solid option, and we just tried to murder the ball. It worked out, we played our two drives (longer guys), probably north of 90% of the time.

Again, others here mentioned go worst to best, but we didn't really have that order laid out, so with driving we did what I said above. Approach shots, we just basically went randomly. I had a number of decent approaches, and a couple other guys did as well. Basically we always had an option. Someone was always inside 10 feet for the bird.

We had mulligans, but blew em all except for one! Three mulligans a piece. Twice we each used a mulligan on a short putt, probably 8 feet or so, and didn't make any attempts! I used my last mulligan on a tee, and it actually paid off. Four of us hit terrible drives on the longest par 5 on the course, I said I'm going to use a mulligan, and I fired off a good one. I had a solid three wood next which gave us 50 or so yards to the green. We ended up with a birdie on that one.

Kind of amazing how those " mulligans " go, isn't it? Makes you wonder if it's worth the money!

On 9/26/2017 at 7:53 AM, iacas said:

Yep, this is it in a nutshell.

It really does help too if you keep it light and everyone has fun! No "I'm sorry" for bad shots, everyone will hit bad shots so no need for apologies. 

Lots of talk on the putting green is helpful to get the read. 

If it's a windy day be sure to talk about club selection but talk about it in terms of yards since everyone has different club distances. "Hey, it's playing at least 150, I hit my 8 iron good and came up short". That sort of stuff. 

Edited by shortstop20

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Note: This thread is 2407 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!