IGNORED

No Yardage Markers

Ron
Note: This thread is 2316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

I've used a rangefinder, a GPS watch and an app on a phone. The one dislike the most was the app on the phone, I really didn't like pulling my phone in-and-out of my pocket and the difficulty of seeing the screen in the sunlight. My favorite is the GPS watch just a quick glance and I have the yardage 

I have Hole19 on my phone.
t's actually a great (free) app but I found it just to bothersome to always reach for my phone in my bag and then turning it on, waiting for the app to load...

I use a TomTom watch for most distances (really easy, just a quick glance and I don't mind wearing one) and a cheap rangefinder I received as a gift for approach shots or measuring hazards and such.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks to ALL for the input.  I have to go out and look at all that stuff now.  (LOL)  I am out of touch with the new technology.  I can tell by the input that was received that everybody pretty much has the same likes and dislikes for something to use to find the "Middle of the Dance Floor."  I've got some ideas on what's out there now so I'll go and have a look.  Thank you all again. :-)

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

Yeah i agree with some of the other posts. Use a free app until you learn the courses. Once you do you'll probably find you wont really use exact yardages as much anyway. On courses i know the only time i get exact yardages is when I'm playing from some odd angle i never play from. Like when i hit a drive on a  adjacent hole or something. Most of my casual golf i play distance by eye. I feel like alot of people do the same.

5 hours ago, Big_in_Belgium said:

I have Hole19 on my phone.
t's actually a great (free) app but I found it just to bothersome to always reach for my phone in my bag and then turning it on, waiting for the app to load...

I use a TomTom watch for most distances (really easy, just a quick glance and I don't mind wearing one) and a cheap rangefinder I received as a gift for approach shots or measuring hazards and such.

I don't understand why a phone app would have to load.  I leave the app running.  I click the side button on the phone to turn off the screen, and then when I need it, I just grab my phone from my pocket, click the on button at the front of the phone, and there's the hole and the yardage, front, middle, and back. 

It advances to the correct hole automatically.  Swipe to the left, and there's your yardage to the hazards. 

It takes maybe 5 seconds to pull phone from pocket, click it on, and see the yardages. 

Edited by Marty2019

@Ron I use a Sonocaddie v100. It doesn't switch holes, when in the wrong fairway. The wife has a Voice Caddie and it will switch holes.

If it doesn't have the hazards you want, you have the ability to map them.

Good luck with your search.

Edited by bste

Brian   

1 hour ago, Marty2019 said:

I don't understand why a phone app would have to load.  I leave the app running.  I click the side button on the phone to turn off the screen, and then when I need it, I just grab my phone from my pocket, click the on button at the front of the phone, and there's the hole and the yardage, front, middle, and back. 

It advances to the correct hole automatically.  Swipe to the left, and there's your yardage to the hazards. 

It takes maybe 5 seconds to pull phone from pocket, click it on, and see the yardages. 

Well, this is a bit off topic but:  I have a phone from my employer  (government) with my workmail on it. And because of that it automatically  (and compulsory) locks everytime you turn off the screen. 
So to get the yardage from the app, I have to first grab my phone from my bag (don't like it in my pocket), unlock it, open the app (it's running in the background but still takes some time) and then put the phone away again.

It doesn't take long but longer than looking at my watch or looking through the range finder. :-)

So by no markers do you me absolutely nothing?  No sprinkler heads, no blue, white and red stakes along the sides?

I have played both type of courses and the ones with marked sprinkler heads are real nice but I have gotten use to looking for the 150 white stake and then I am pretty good at guessing the yardage.

I have a rangefinder and GPS unit and totally recommend the range finder.  The GPS unit was off on every hole from 5 - 15 yards.

I have Bushnell V2 that's about 5 years old now and it has worked great every year.  Came with 2 batteries and in Sept the second died.  That's pretty good!  Will get a new one in the spring. 

Good luck to you!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I have used them all, iphone apps, at least 10 different types of GPSs, and I also have a Leupold rangefinder. My GPS watch is my favorite, its always there, works when I don't have line of sight, front, back, and middle distances. Never cared for any of the iphone apps, found they were either not very accurate or they killed my battery or both. My rangefinder is fine, but I find I don't use it all that often anymore. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Every time i have to play a course a don´t know i do the same.
For approach shots with google maps i print the image of every green, and mesure with google´s yardage tool the distance from a greenside bunker to the middle/back/front of the green. When im playing the hole, i just aim my rangefinder at the bunker and i know the exact distances to mid/front/back of the green. I never care about the exact distance to the ping, i just need to know if it is in the front,middle or back portion of the green.
Holes.JPG.c13dff92c940c4e6c020ff2c57928156.JPG

For tee shots there are 2 ways, make a yardage book with google maps, priting each hole and the distances to key points (bukers, hazards..etc). This takes a lot of time but if you have the time it´s the best way to navigate the course.
A faster way it´s just plan the strategy for each hole with google maps and write it down to a notebook, with aim points and distances to hit from each tee.
Example.. Hole 1: If carry > 250 then Max distance, aim left crossbunker´s rigth edge. 
                             If not hit 220 short of it aiming 10 yards rigth of it.

It´s free and easy to make. Hope it help.

WOW.  You are a SERIOUS Golfer!  Thanks for all of that info.

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

Ron - Welcome to the metroplex. Nearly mid-cites here, Trophy Club, but near enough to be neighbors. 

Curious about what course you are playing, because my group plays a lot around town and have yet to run into one that was not marked in some way (want to avoid it).

If you want to save money and get a sense of what the course and yardages look like, I recommend Google Earth. You can use the distance measuring tool to figure out yardages, etc. I often use this when I am going to play a new course. I have both a laser and a Sky Caddie, but what both miss for me is what part of the fairway is the widest so I can have the biggest margin of error. 

I would think for your use, you could use Google Earth to figure out distances from landmarks and add and subtract from there. 

I wanted to add that my Bushnell GPS watch does give distance to hazards, the screen that is active all the time gives front middle back of the green, push a button and another screen shows hazard distances, push again and another hazard screen is there if needed, I think it is 2 hazards per screen up to a total of 4 hazards per hole. My GPS is often right on with my rangefinder, overall I'd say + or minus 2 yards is it's accuracy.

40 minutes ago, dzclarkcpa said:

Ron - Welcome to the metroplex. Nearly mid-cites here, Trophy Club, but near enough to be neighbors. 

Curious about what course you are playing, because my group plays a lot around town and have yet to run into one that was not marked in some way (want to avoid it).

If you want to save money and get a sense of what the course and yardages look like, I recommend Google Earth. You can use the distance measuring tool to figure out yardages, etc. I often use this when I am going to play a new course. I have both a laser and a Sky Caddie, but what both miss for me is what part of the fairway is the widest so I can have the biggest margin of error. 

I would think for your use, you could use Google Earth to figure out distances from landmarks and add and subtract from there. 

Hi DZ.  Thank you for the welcome and the suggestions.  The first fellow I met in TX on the Golf Course was from Trophy Club.  However, he told me that he had just bought a house there on a Golf Course and would be playing there.  That area would be a bit steep for me.  Three college educations didn't leave me too much, but I'm not complaining.  My Boys are all doing very well!!  :-)

FWIW, the courses are Bear Creek East & West.  (I'm actually surprised that nobody else asked.)   

There are fewer courses and options down here than I thought there would be, and It is hard to get information and meet people when you are a Senior and new to an area.   I lived 6 miles from Bethpage Black on Long Island and played the Red course mostly which is almost as tough as the Black and that entire complex has (5) 18 Hole courses.  Then of course Long Island is 110 miles long and 24 miles wide at the widest point and there are 165 Golf Courses.   Long Island is a Golf Mecca!

Anyway, I still have a nice game, Fit & Trim for a Senior and I'm gonna play!!  My Oldest Son insisted that I move here to be close to him and the other two, so here I am!  

Ball-Pro V1

Ron, I actually play Bear Creek quite often. The guys I play with are not members anywhere so we move it around quite often. I think there is a regular group at Bear Creek that plays every day. Ask at the pro shop and if you can't find one, let me know and I will ask around and see if we can find you a regular group. 

PS....I am actually playing at Bear Creek tomorrow.

2 hours ago, dzclarkcpa said:

Ron, I actually play Bear Creek quite often. The guys I play with are not members anywhere so we move it around quite often. I think there is a regular group at Bear Creek that plays every day. Ask at the pro shop and if you can't find one, let me know and I will ask around and see if we can find you a regular group. 

PS....I am actually playing at Bear Creek tomorrow.

DZ.  Thanks. I took Bear Creek's Special deal for Seniors, where you pay $59.95 for the first 18 hole round, and then get to play 18 holes with a cart for $19,95  Mon thru Fri for a year.  I got here in August, and after 12 rounds, I am way ahead of the deal.  It must be renewed at the beginning of each year.  I always play with different people and hope to be able to connect with a few players to form a regular foursome.  All of the guys that I have played with have been very friendly, nice people but, so far, none have lived here and played here on a regular basis.  I have one regular partner now, and I'm sure a foursome will ultimately fill out.  To understand how daunting this situation can be, I was part of a regular foursome in Long Island, NY for 12 years and we ALL had an Index of between 12 and 15 from the Middle Tee Box.  When I moved to Texas, I knew that this was going to be a major issue for me.  That's Life!  ?

Ball-Pro V1

Ron, also there are several other good courses in the area. Check out Grapevine Muni. It's 27 holes of pretty reasonable priced golf. I have played Bridlewood and Fossil Creek lately and while a bit more pricey, it's not off the chart expensive. Sky Creek Ranch is also in the area and reopened not long ago after redoing its greens. 

• 3 weeks later...

I feel your frustration, It's hard enough with yard markers let alone without them. There are some rangefinders that are not real expensive. You could always play with someone who has one. I wouldn't change courses, I might say something in the pro shop about the speed that the people are going.

This may be a golden opportunity to create your own course book.  Measure off distances from each tee, hazard and the green along with a drawing and you may have something another golfer would be willing to purchase.  It may take several weeks to accomplish but the journey will be half of the fun!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!