IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 39.  Middle of the day, I managed to get some putting time on a real green.  After some warm-up, I did the "12 coins, eventually" drill, where I set up 12 coins 3' from the cup and try to sink them all.  At my skill level, the goal is "as few tries as possible" but if I were to go for 12 in a row, I might find myself divorced before I finish.  Anyway, I sank 6 of them on the first pass, 5 of the remaining ones the second, and the last one on the last pass, for 19 total attempts.  Not bad, but I need to get those to be a lot more automatic, and then expand to 4' -- I'm still really wasting shots that I should be able to make, and I really need to schedule a few hours of putting green practice to get my shots lost putting down to a manageable level. 

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 127 (15 Apr 22) - Grandson spent the night, he got up ready to chip whiffle balls into the bucket, not an easy target.  A good way to start the day.  Followed up with some good pitches with the 9i in the yard.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Day 6: One handed chips with 52* and 60*, then 7:30 swings with the same, with and without the tour striker ball.  Putting with rails drill, then 18 holes 15 foo 2 putt challenge - finished even par - one birdie and one three.  Chipping ladder drill with 52*.  Then in the afternoon played a tiny little 938 yard 98 hole par 3 - lots of PW / 9I off the tee - hit three greens, and two more nearly, and focussed on trail elbow.  Really happy with today.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Day 36 - 6’ putts for bead and 30’ putts for speed with focus on rhythm using Blast while at office this morning. Hope to get out this afternoon and chip & putt 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Day 546: Played 18 today. No wind to start and high 40s. 60s at the finish with howling winds. It was comical. They also mowed the back nine greens so they were much faster than the front nine. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 170 - Mostly putting practice today. Did the "Perfect Putt" ladder drill, followed by making putts thru a gate 3' in front of the ball while swinging the putter head between two golf balls. Also hit some chips in the yard with a 62* low bounce wedge. It is doubtful that I'll actually use this wedge on course, if I can engage a low bounce with the ground, a higher bounce should be easy.  

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

day 40: played a round with some friends after my matchplay opponent had to cancel last minute and couldn’t come

cheers Chris

Day 6

Did quite a bit more putting today. For those not familiar, the Kotahi grip is like a teardrop shape (if viewing from above). With the tip of the teardrop pointing away from you at address, when installed as they advise.

After a couple days, I wasn't really loving or hating it. Figured since I don't tape my grips on, I'd spin it around (with the teardrop tip pointing towards me). I know it's not how they intend it, but wow do I really like the feel of it that way! I frankly think it promotes the grip they're going for much better than in the intended configuration. 

I have a SuperStroke Traxion Claw 2.0 arriving tomorrow to test as an alternative. But, I'm really liking this Kotahi grip now that I'm using it wrong, lol.

Will throw the Traxion Claw on my other putter to be able to test them side by side.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

Day 40.  Ruler drill on carpet for putting -- hit 25 balls, aiming to have each stay on the ruler for all 36" (and then continue).  Went 25/25, although if the ruler had been 48", a half dozen or so would have fallen off (they were headed that way).  I'm not sure what that means for putting.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

Day 166, April 15, 2022

Used the short game area at Lake View in the massive winds while waiting for the kids to show up for their tournament.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 91:

Worked on backswing indoors and full swing flow outdoors hitting balls. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 7: Lots of putting drills and short game drills, then full swing work with plane station, focussing on trail arm / elbow.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Day 171 - In general, my approach shots need work. Accordingly I spent time today with my 44* wedge and an alignment rod set 4" behind where I wanted the club to strike the ground. Worked on flighted full motion swings without a ball and only focusing on the low point and not hitting the rod. Did this for about 15 minutes.

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Worked on hand and forearm strength swinging a mattock, pulaski and adze all morning. Shoveled stuff like asphalt and dirt all week long. Went to the range and worked on flighted wedges and tried a few different driver head/ shaft, sleeve configurations. Hit mid irons, concentrating on the drop  off the tabletop 5 yd fade. I have been turning them over lately, and I hate drawn mid irons, too hard to dial in distance.

day 37 - range session. Club back & up with full pre-shot routine each ball. A-

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

day 41: walked a 9-hole round with friends in the morning, and then 9-holes matchplay for a competition in the afternoon (which I won 2up with 1 to go)

cheers Chris

Day 547: Worked on several things hitting into my net setup. In reviewing the video, I noticed I’m shifting back too much again. I need to pay attention to that. Also did SuperSpeed training for the first time in a while.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 41.  Went to a nearby (to where I'm staying for the holiday) golf course to use their putting green (I would have used their short game area too but it was packed).  Over an hour of putting, but three measured drills during this.  One was 3' putts, clock drill, took 20 to get down.  Then another 3' drill, made 11/12 (different hole so this was not from memory) on the first pass, but took four (including the initial) to make the last one.  Yikes!  Later did a 6' clock drill, took 24 putts total, but 8/12 fell on first pass.  Either way, I'd be happy if I could get 6' putts to a 50% success rate on the course.  

Of course, today is just a small sample size.  Lots more work to do!  But it felt good to put in a serious attempt to put some big time into working on it.  Also the greens were freshly sanded and had clearly been punched in recent weeks.

-- Michael | My swing!