IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 132 (20 Apr 22) - Grandkids visiting from Boston.  Neither have had much time with a golf club, so spent a few moments with hand placement.  Got in some swings with the 52 and SW, hitting some foam balls with the grands.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 40 - getting my distances down for pitching from 20 and 30 yds

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Day 96:

Covid-19 day 5 drill. Got through about 10 balls before it started raining too much to practice. Went inside and installed a midsize grip on my 9-iron to try out.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 45.  Wednesdays are long days, and I had only about five minutes of energy at the end of the day to take a few slow swings, including rehearsals, with a 6-iron this evening.  Full shots that hit balls hit real ones, off a mat, into a net, indoors. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

11 hours ago, DoubleAce said:

There was tangible decline in putts made (still at 7 feet). Which was 73.75% (118/160).

You're making ~75% at 7 feet?  That's way above tour average, which is less than 60.  I wouldn't be sweating that going down by 10% - that's incredibly good putting.  Maybe work on something you're not amazing at!

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

1 hour ago, Dornenglanz said:

You're making ~75% at 7 feet?  That's way above tour average, which is less than 60.  I wouldn't be sweating that going down by 10% - that's incredibly good putting.  Maybe work on something you're not amazing at!

Lol. It's important to view that percentage in context. I wouldn't draw any conclusions in terms of what the numbers equate to from that same distance on-course.

Remember, I'm controlling for variables with this grip/putter combo exercise. Of which, I'm putting to the same two "cups" the whole time. Which are just 3d printed flat rings I placed on the floor. They're undersized by an inch. But who's to say every ball that rolled over the edge of a ring would have actually dropped. 

Again, the point of this exercise the past few days has been to collect data on which putter/grip combo suits me. Both in terms of feel and tangible numbers.

Given that I've controlled for as much as I can, (I think) a 10% change is noteworthy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

35 minutes ago, DoubleAce said:

Given that I've controlled for as much as I can, (I think) a 10% change is noteworthy. 

Ah right, yes that makes sense! 😄

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Day 133 (21 Apr 22) - squeezed in more mirror work (keeping arms aligned with torso) and full turn stretching (increasing ease of range of motion) this morning, as day will be filled with grandkid stuff….

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Day 12: 15 mins putting, chipping and pitching before 18 holes.

day 46: it's Thursday, so no time for the range.. putting at home on the mat it is...

cheers Chris

Day 176 - Hit about 30 "chip"  (using the bounce so more like a pitch motion) shots in the yard today with my 49* and 54* wedges. Using pretty much the same length swing, the 54* carried about 11 to13-yards and the 49* carried about 14 to16 yards.  My assumption is that the runout on a flat green would be an additional 12 yards or so, while that of the 49* would be about 30 yards. Will test this when chipping is allowed on our practice green. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

Day 552: Worked on more palmar flexion during transition and swinging down from the top. Yesterday’s video had to face too open at A6. Today’s was better with the 6 iron but I’m swinging out too much still with the driver. Will do more tomorrow. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Day 41 - 8i into net with focus on club back & up with straighter right wlbow

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Day 12

You guessed it, more putting today. Switched back to the Kotahi/NCC-1701 combo. It immediately felt more natural. Maybe there's something to the high MOI putter head that was all the rage back when it was released. 

One thing I've noticed with this grip/putter combo is that it seems to have blocked out my typical "miss".  Which was a yippy pull. If anything, my miss now is just a subtle push. And it's subtle enough that I still make some of them. My yippy pull from the past was a recipe for a miss every time. 

In terms of data, it wasn't my best day. And even though it felt a lot better than yesterday, it wasn't my best day for feel either. Still, I made 161 of 200 attempts (80.5%). 

At this point, I'm not sure how much benefit I'll see out of continuing to experiment with different grip models. So I think I may just send the Traxion Claw back and commit to the Kotahi / NCC-1701 combo.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9° - Fujikura Ventus Blue / Rombax
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° - Project X 6.0
Snake Eyes 600B 3-PW - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes 685BX Fluid Forged 52°, 56°, 60° - Dynamic Gold s300
Snake Eyes MSC1 / Golfsmith NCC - 1701
Maxfli Tour X

Day 97:

Continued covid-19 day 5 drill to work on palmar flexion and feeling like my trail arm is a little external rotated in transition. After about 20 balls tried transition to swings from A3, but it was terrible so went back to the day 5 drill for another 15-20 balls.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Day 46.  In addition to some practicing, I played 18 today at a course that I thought at one point might become my new home course (changed my mind).  I shot an 85 with only 3 GIR.  I chipped fairly well today, putted decently, and I'm very happy about that.  But oh the wind, I was not able to adjust my shot selection for the wind, and I need to learn how to do that. 

GG stats later if I can.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Day 13:  Putting practice - massively frustrating because the wind is gusting to over 20 knots.  I persevered for almost 30 mins, but I was just getting annoyed when the wind would suddenly blow my ball off line, so I felt like I wasn't really learning anything, other than that putting in the wind is hard.  Feeling annoyed with myself, and life! 😠

Day 134 (22 Apr 22) - last day grands are home from Boston, they requested some “golf” in the backyard.  Obliged with irons and foam balls, love the teachable spirit they exhibited.  Personally worked on some wedge shots with the PW.  Wrapped up with more wedge shots with the 52 and real balls with focus on solid contact and controlled distance, even rattled the flagstick a couple of times.  Was a great day - love time with the grands! 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star