IGNORED

2018 Golf Predictions

Basicgolfer
Note: This thread is 2263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi

Does anybody have any predictions on which golfers will have a big 2018 season on tour?

I really think Justin Thomas is ready to take his game to the next level.

Will be interesting to see which players are fancied to do well.

Cheers

• Administrator

It's a great topic and I hope to see some good discussion here.

As for me… I have a hard time finding the time amongst my other "golf stuff" to watch more than the majors… and events in which Tiger plays.

So I think Tiger will have a "big" year on Tour, but for him, that just means playing a full schedule. :-D

I think Spieth will have a down year. Garcia too. Rahm will not win a major. And Lexi will.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like Lexi to win a major, tiger to win a tournament, Speith, DJ, Thomas, and flower all get 2 wins with 2/4 majors coming from those 4 guys. 

Throwing a "ghost pick" out there with Tommy Fleetwood winning a major in 2018. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Really going out on a limb here :-D:

• There will be at least one rules controversy.  
  • One player not on everyone's radar will come out of nowhere.
  • No multiple major winner, all four winners different players.
  • Ryder Cup will be boring

But genuinely, I think it's going to be a great year, lots of good and up and coming players in the mix, majors more exciting than usual.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

35 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Really going out on a limb here :-D:

• There will be at least one rules controversy.  
  • One player not on everyone's radar will come out of nowhere.
  • No multiple major winner, all four winners different players.
  • Ryder Cup will be boring

But genuinely, I think it's going to be a great year, lots of good and up and coming players in the mix, majors more exciting than usual.

I don't know enough about the players to predict one doing something or not. I'd like to predict Tiger playing his full schedule with no physical issues, but that's a stretch. 

But your rules controversy prediction caught my eye. I was watching a re-run of a previous tournament. One of the players had what appeared to be an easy chip shot. Just as he was making his down swing, a spectator did something (?) and the golfer hit a really bad chip, and the ball wound up on top of a recessed sprinkler head. He gave the spectator(s) a pissed off look right after ball impact. He conversed with a rules official, counted the stroke, and took a drop. 

So I got to thinking, that with all the money these guys play for, that at some future date, (2018) the PGA will, at the players' request, will adopt a new rule for "do overs" due to spectator noise, or verbal interference. 

Probably won't happen in 2018, but eventually?

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Patch said:

So I got to thinking, that with all the money these guys play for, that at some future date, (2018) the PGA will, at the players' request, will adopt a new rule for "do overs" due to spectator noise, or verbal interference. 

Probably won't happen in 2018, but eventually?

Not the topic here, but… no. Otherwise who would determine what counted as enough "interference"?

So anyway, no.

Back to the predictions. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Fowler is due a major. Fleetwood could come through in the Open. My "ghost pick" is Paul Casey. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Tiger will finish all 4 majors, but not have a top 10 in them (I hope he wins one). Justin Thomas, Dustin Johnson, and Rory McIlroy will not win majors. Jordan Speith will win another Masters. Xander Schauffele will win multiple times.  My long shot pick...Chad Campbell will have a win this year (maybe at Bay Hill).

Edited by Riverdad
Typo

I’ll say Rickie wins The Open- yes I know he’s been the let down pick of first time majors predictions for the better part of the last decade now, but I do think he’ll win one soon and I think the open is as good a chance as any with how well he flights the ball.

I think Spieth and JT both have B/B+ seasons (by their standards) with each winning 2-3 times and one of them winning one of the other three majors. 

I’m torn on the Tiger prediction. If he can stay healthy I think he’ll be on some leaderboards on his preferred tracts (Bay Hill, hopefully Augusta, etc). If I had to  wager, I would say he doesn’t win but I hope I’m wrong. 

I like the Fleetwood and Paul Casey picks- I think both will be in the mix on Sunday in at least one of the majors. 

Edited by skydog

On 1/1/2018 at 4:46 AM, Basicgolfer said:

Does anybody have any predictions on which golfers will have a big 2018 season on tour?

I really think Justin Thomas is ready to take his game to the next level.

From October 2016-October 2017, Thomas won six times!  How much more 'next level' can he get, multiple majors??

Tiger stays healthy and wins 4 tournaments, including The US Open.  Earlier in the Tiger thread I predicted he won The Masters also, but I'm backing off that.  He does get a top 10 there, however. Go Tiger!

Spieth stays middle-of-the-road awesome and wins 3, though no majors this year.

Ricky tears it up, wins The Masters, and finds another hot girl that wears jorts. He's living the dream.

Phil wins at least once.

Rory who?

Sleeper pick for the year - Brandon Hagy.  Dude hits it long.

Where to begin. Here goes!.

Tiger gets off to a flyer with top 10 finishes plus a win in the lead up to the masters. Unfortunatley he misses the cut  at the Masters and takes a year off with a "bad back". Masters is eventually won by a very suprised Lee Westwood who only turned up for the free stuff as he was short of tees and pitch mark repairers.

US Open is won by Rickie Fowler after Dustin Johnson gets a 2 stroke penalty for grounding in a hazard....again.

Open won by Luke Donald much to displeasure of the bookies and extreme pleasure of the one guy who bet £5 on him and is now a millionaire.

Ryder Cup is won by.......no-one, both teams decide they should share it and go to the pub instead.

USPGA won by Tiger Woods who makes a miraculous recovery from his bad back to win and promptly retires from golf to star on his own chat show.

And then just like in the last seen from Dallas, i wake up in the shower and its all been a dream.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

On 1/2/2018 at 7:09 PM, Broke100Once said:

From October 2016-October 2017, Thomas won six times!  How much more 'next level' can he get, multiple majors??

I think he is a potential world number 1. Winning majors is tough, but I think he might get that top spot at some stage later in the year if he stays fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Some other narratives for 2018:

McIlroy and Spieth, possibility to complete career slam, Masters and PGA respectively.

DJ to win his first Masters after being foiled by the mundane, stairs, last year.

Phil "I am such an idiot" Mickelson redeems himself at Shinnecock, completes career slam.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

First Time Major Winner:  Tony Finau

Surprise Non-Winner:  Phil Mickelson

Tiger Woods:  Has multiple tournaments (including one Major) where he is within 3 of the lead starting Sunday...sadly, does not get it done and goes winless

Ryder Cup Star:  Brian Harmon

The Majors:  Masters (Justin Thomas); US Open (Justin Rose); The Open (Sergio Garcia); PGA Championship (Tony Finau)

Twitterer of the Year:  Kip Henley (again)

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Note: This thread is 2263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!