IGNORED

Your Golf Game - The Uplifting Topic

iacas

2 hours ago, Voltron1 said:

No worries and zero need to apologize. I didn't even take it as a jab. I just find very little that's uplifting about this game.

Knock out a sleeve of Fig Newtons while watching ‘The Legend of Bagger Vance’. Then go shoot your best round in a long time.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Voltron1 said:

I just find very little that's uplifting about this game

IMO, as long as you're realistic, you don't need much talent to play this game at an enjoyable level. If you find the right group of friends, even smacking the ball OB can be fun!

But this game is not for everyone, so if it's really not bringing you any joy, no need to torture yourself.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by chspeed
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, chspeed said:

IMO, as long as you're realistic, you don't need much talent to play this game at an enjoyable level. If you find the right group of friends, even smacking the ball OB can be fun!

But this game is not for everyone, so if it's really not bringing you any joy, no need to torture yourself.

Best of luck to you.

Indeed, and that's why I haven't played more than 5 rds in the last 30 years. 

• 1 month later...

I'm back! My last post was April 2020?? Anyways, had to quit the game, got stuck in Germany, no flights, wife's cancer came back with a vengeance, given 6 months left to live, blah blah blah. Now she spends most days at Disney, going back to work next month, and I bought new clubs, and smashing balls into the intercostal on a daily basis. Its good to be back. One thing I have learned over the last 3 difficult years, enjoy what you have, it may be taken away. If you suck at golf, who cares, be thankful you are one of the people that can afford to play or have the physical capabilities to play. I found a great instructor who humbled me very quickly ( story of its own). I'm enjoying the game now more than ever.  

• Thumbs Up 5

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

3 hours ago, snapfade said:

I'm back! My last post was April 2020?? Anyways, had to quit the game, got stuck in Germany, no flights, wife's cancer came back with a vengeance, given 6 months left to live, blah blah blah. Now she spends most days at Disney, going back to work next month, and I bought new clubs, and smashing balls into the intercostal on a daily basis. Its good to be back. One thing I have learned over the last 3 difficult years, enjoy what you have, it may be taken away. If you suck at golf, who cares, be thankful you are one of the people that can afford to play or have the physical capabilities to play. I found a great instructor who humbled me very quickly ( story of its own). I'm enjoying the game now more than ever.  

Great to hear from you!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Played a qualifying round for our Super Senior match play (65 and older) at around 6,050 yards. Got off to a good start but then got stuck in the trees on the par 5 third. After also hitting a shot into the water on the approach and three-putting, I carded a TEN! Instead of letting it get me down, I got my act together and shot 44-39-83 and qualified easily. That was three rounds ago and I have been playing my best golf in years since then.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill M

• 1 month later...

Today had the day off and some coworkers decided to hit a basic quick public course, so I kept true score and shot +28 (par 66; shot 94).  Played ice cold without even stretching so the first couple holes were 8s and 7s, but I settled in and played the back 9 feeling like I could make every shot.  Ended up chipping in for par on 9 then "breaking bogey" by 2 on the back 9 (par 34, I shot a 42, ), and had legit birdie opportunities on 4 holes.  My 7i 2nd shot on the last hole stuck center green probably the best iron shot I've ever hit.  Putting was a mess but I'm super rusty and it did that thing where the greens go from wet and slow and to dry and fast.  Other than a couple early half-duffs you could describe my short game as "crisp".  I've never walked away from a round feeling this happy with things, so that's the uplift.  No 6s for 10 holes.

I've felt for the last 5 rounds or so like I have a shot at breaking 90 going into every outing so it was good to get confirmation on that.  Also only lost one ball (short on a water hazard early on).  I'll get to play 4 or 5 days in the mountains in August and then hopefully a few more here in the fall, and I'm looking forward to it, I need to get a lesson or two in now that I've got the rust off.

• Thumbs Up 1

Our Club Championship concluded over the weekend and it was won by a 64-year-old (format: qualifying round and 16 player field match play). He has been a very good player for years, but I didn't see this coming. He has really worked hard at the game and it is well deserved.

Never give up. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Bill M

• 1 month later...

Interesting items from Shot Scope. 

Longest drive on a par 4 and made par. 331 yards. Disney Palms GC

Longest drive on a par 5 and made par. 272 yards. Cocoa Beach Lakes Course

Longest drive on a par 5 and made birdie. 321 yards. Disney Lake Bunea Vista GC

Longest drive on a par 4 and made birdie. 296 yards. Disney Lake Bunea Vista GC.

Shortest drive and made par. 74 yards, par 4 Cocoa Beach Dolphin Course.

Shortest drive and made birdie. 217 yards, par 5 Cocoa Beach Dolphin Course. 

1 eagle. 317 drive on the par 4, 7th hole. Cocoa Beach Dolphin Course.

Since using Shot Scope, I have the same number of pars from left/right rough and fairway.

I'm pretty even across the board left right or center as far as scoring goes. I can scramble for double bogey from anywhere. 

I have dropped to 6.9 in Average Holes to 3 Putt, down from 13 or so. But to defend that stat, here lately I haven't been taking putting seriously unless it was a realistic chance for birdie. I just wack and go, getting darker sooner so not wasting time on the green. 

Approaches are the thing to work on based on the data. 51% short, 10% miss left, 10% miss right, 6% over and 23% on the green. 

Strokes Gained to Tour Player -19.32

Strokes Gained to 10 HCP -3.96

Strokes Gained to 20 HCP 6.28

The one thing I need to work on is being repetitive. I'll hit a nice drive and instead of lining up the club face or doing the pre-shot routine I'll just step up and smack it and fire off a hosel rocket into the water.  Oh here's one for your entertainment. I missed a green to the right the other day, not to bad but sat way below the level of the green in a little collection area. Good spot for the 60. I walked to the ball, cart path only, and realized I had pulled my 8 iron. Did I walk back and grab the 60? No, I thought it would be a good idea to open the club face and hit a flop shot with the 8. That was a quick 6. I hacked that Snell all the way to the hole with the 8 iron. It's usually that one hole per side that compounds a bad shot to where you go from even par after 6 holes to 5 over in one hole. I can make a bad thing worse. I had one where I hit 280ish down the middle and shanked 3 back to back wedges into the water. I love the game. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

• 2 months later...

I really like seeing other people hit great shots. Even if they've been shooting poorly all day, one spectacular shot can be so uplifting. I know how that a shot like that makes me feel, but if you want to see pure happiness you have to look for it in others. In a way, I feel it helps me play better cause I have 3 more opportunities to be excited than I otherwise would.  

• Thumbs Up 1