IGNORED

Playing Private Clubs in the U.S. (with permission)

Note: This thread is 2162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wondering who is the best person to write to when asking for a visitor round? Some clubs seem to have the Head Pro making the call, others have a "concierge", or maybe the GM is the one. Is there a protocol?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am assuming you are asking about a semi private, or private course. Just call up and ask for the manager, plead your case. You'll probably get more yeses than no.

Or, you can do what I have done in the past. Walk in, and ask to be let on the course. I've got on some pretty nice courses doing that. 

However you do it, know up front that their will most likely be a tip involved. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have found, here in the UK at teast, that pretty much every course including private will allow visitors to play. Generally tee times are restricted (e.g visitors ok all week and sunday but only between 10 and 2pm Saturday).

Like @Patchsaid you'll get more yes's the no's. At the end of the day a golf course is a business and its not good for that business if you turn customers away.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

At least in my part of the woods, the CCs are hurting pretty bad. 

I'd bet a bunch of them would let you play for free if they were under the impression that you might consider joining. You can expect the full sales pitch of course.

I have never tried this, but have been tempted to call up a few private clubs and give it a shot. Most of the private clubs I get onto is because I am given or win an "member for a day" pass. I have used one already this year, and have another to use this month. 

If you're currently a member at a club, you can usually ask your head pro to call for you....

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

What @David in FL said is very good advice. 

If you don't belong to a private club though, I would suggest contacting the Head Pro at the club you are hoping to play.  The pro runs the golf shop and handles tee times and all things golf related, and certainly can extend an invitation to play if possible.  The G.M. oversees the entire club, so although he could also allow you to play, he'll probably put you in touch with the head pro anyway for tee times and other details.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

As you can see, I am in Australia so my question is really about who determines if you can play and therefore who to write to. I am a club member here so no problems on that side. In the UK I would write to the Club Secretary, but I see that major US clubs are cagey about non-member contact. They rarely include contact details on their websites for fear of being drowned by public email requests. They prefer ordinary mail approaches on the basis that only the very keen would do so.  I have written to GMs on occasions and had some pleasant responses referring me to the club pro. So when writing would General Manager get there? or "The Manager" or "Director of Golf" or cut the chase and go to the "Head Professional"? .

I write often to clubs for the opportunity to come and rate their club. I rate for a golf magazine. My response rate is about 75%. If they respond typically something will be worked out. Going to the really top shelf places usually requires going in their shoulder season. Unless they are keen on having a great rating. It is the lesser known private places which typically create resistance. I go to websites and try to find contact person but rely heavily on a book called.....The American Private Golf Club Guide. It lists 1000 US courses with the key contact info and review of course. I recently returned from Scotland having played 11 rounds and had 7 comped, including Kingsbarns, Cruden Bay, Prestwick, North Berwick and the three Trump courses. I am currently looking at a trip to your neck of woods with desired outcome to play all the great courses and also visiting Tasmania for the 3 there. My standard line I use in these situations is Act like you own it.....Until someone tells you otherwise...And few will do that. Being from Aussie my guess is most every club in US will welcome you. Set up a group from your club and create a trip. Just do it well in advance. I hear often about clubs who like foreign clubs to visit and have a day of competition.  

Yes there are a few of us going to the US later this year but we got a flat out rejection from one of the big 3 LA clubs, still waiting on the others. My experience is that most private clubs will welcome us but a few are quite snobby and insist on their member invitations. I am just never quite sure who to write to, the Head Pro or the General Manager or the Concierge!

BTW there are now 4 courses in Tasmania to play - Barnbougle, Lost Farm, which are both on the main island , and Cape Wickham and Ocean Dunes on King Island. You will love all of them. I would say the four are comparable to if not better than the Bandon Dunes four - similar architects of course. To play the two on KI we take a commuter flight from Melbourne and stay overnight in the on course cabins. You can go on to Barnbougle from there. Its only an hour's flight.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chanceman said:

Yes there are a few of us going to the US later this year but we got a flat out rejection from one of the big 3 LA clubs, still waiting on the others. My experience is that most private clubs will welcome us but a few are quite snobby and insist on their member invitations. I am just never quite sure who to write to, the Head Pro or the General Manager or the Concierge!

Yes, the clubs around here are pretty “exclusive”.

One of them was offering membership invitations. I emailed them, asking about joining, and haven’t gotten a reply back for weeks. Not surprised. :-D

The good news is you can play some pretty nice semi private and public courses around here as well. Look at Angeles National, Black Gold, Industry Hills and a bunch of others around here.

To be honest, the private clubs aren’t any better. The club houses are fancier, but the course conditions are about the same.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Chanceman said:

My experience is that most private clubs will welcome us but a few are quite snobby and insist on their member invitations.

I don't think that makes them "snobby."

Golf Evolution is a members-only facility, and we don't let random people come in and hit, even if they want to pay for the day.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I travel to Scotland/Ireland/UK every year pretty much. The primary reason is they let me play anywhere just about. Can't do that here. But my experience has been that club groups from overseas do get consideration at many places here. Much of the conversation though is about timing and the schedules at the clubs while you are in area. I always start the dialogue with the Club Pro.

10 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't think that makes them "snobby."

Golf Evolution is a members-only facility, and we don't let random people come in and hit, even if they want to pay for the day.

We are not talking "random" people here. Sure golf developed as a members' game but in this day and age people do travel and if they are a member elsewhere and properly introduce themselves why should any reasonable club not allow a travelling golfer to play?  You can play at Royal Melbourne and Kingston Heath if you come down under and they are both exclusive but dont snub international visitors like some small-time US clubs do. All I am saying is that its too rigid in America for visitor play at many clubs, a few though are very accommodating.

• Administrator

We are not talking "random" people here. Sure golf developed as a members' game but in this day and age people do travel and if they are a member elsewhere and properly introduce themselves why should any reasonable club not allow a travelling golfer to play?

We're also not talking about a member, a celebrity, someone in the golf industry (a visiting course architect, a fellow PGA professional, etc.), etc.

You're much, much closer to a "random person" than not.

Should I allow someone into my house and to sit on my couch and watch my TV just because they call ahead and ask? I mean, it's not just some random person. They called ahead and, presumably, have a couch or TV of their own that they may let other people call ahead to use.

You can play at Royal Melbourne and Kingston Heath if you come down under and they are both exclusive but dont snub international visitors like some small-time US clubs do.

It's not a snub. Nor is it snobby to decline your request to play a private course. Yes, a lot of the private courses in the UK and Australia let you do it. And that's great. I wish more places did it, everywhere, especially here in the U.S.

But they don't, and that doesn't make them "snobby."

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Judging by the behaviour of some US "celebrities" of late you would not want them anywhere near your golf club. And, sure, clubs are entitled to have their own protocols. My point is that being a member of the global golfing community should allow some kind of reasonable consideration. Other countries do it - it creates goodwill.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Chanceman said:

Judging by the behaviour of some US "celebrities" of late you would not want them anywhere near your golf club.

Really? First we're snobby, now you're ranking a whole population based on the behavior of some celebrities? And what's that got to do with what I actually said, and the topic at hand?

I'm saying you're not Don Cheadle, Mark Wahlberg, Kenny G, etc. You're not a celebrity.

And, sure, clubs are entitled to have their own protocols.

And that it's complete bullshit of you to call them "snobby" when they enforce those protocols.

My point is that being a member of the global golfing community should allow some kind of reasonable consideration.

They disagree, and they're not snobby because of it.

You didn't answer my question: you don't let people who also own a couch and a TV come over and use yours so long as they call ahead?

Of course you don't. And you're not "snobby" because you don't, either.

Calm down. I dont live at my golf club - I share it with others. We have protocols for admitting visitors, we dont admit anyone who simply calls ahead. No need to verbal me about celebrities, you are the one who suggested celebrities deserve special consideration along with golf architects.  I did not rank a whole population by their celebs' behaviour - I just dont think that being one qualifies as deserving of a round of golf. And yes I do think that a club which rejects reasonable approaches from an international club golfer is snobby. 

Note: This thread is 2162 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!