IGNORED

Iron help

Jkf10
Note: This thread is 2255 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm new on here but have a crazy question. I currently have a set of 2008 AP 1's, my handicap is 14. I put the game away for a few years and just got back in last fall. Anyway, I hit some 718 AP 2's and they feel more forgiving than my current set..... Am I nuts? Anyway I was considering the AP 3's and will get fitted but might also hit the 2's at the fitter as well. I guess my question is, have irons came that far or is it in my head?

Welcome to TST.   We're glad you've decided to join.   Technology has changed since 2008 with clubs being more forgiving and longer (sometimes because of the loft change).    Getting fitted will help you decide which clubs work for you.   

Don't be a stranger, post often, read and enjoy!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Jkf10 said:

Thank you. I just read an old article that said the 716 AP2 is more forgiving than the 710 AP1. Maybe I'm not just dreaming this up. 

They probably are, but whether you can "tell" or not is another matter entirely.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2008 AP1 vs 2018 AP2...  Yes 10 years of iron improvement would make the AP2 easier to hit for most people.  You'd have to be the judge.  A lot of people still sticking with Ping eye2 irons from 1986 vs a new set of Pings...depends on u hitting them.

I would say play out your return season with the 2008 AP1 irons until you get your swing back. Continue to try other irons along the way just to see what's out there.

Then, decide for 2019 what irons you want.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

new toys give you more confidence. how is your distance, AP3 are distance irons. I think you should stick with AP2 or do a split set of AP1 or AP3 long irons and AP2 short irons.

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

I would say the changes in irons in ten years are fairly significant, as well as having more shaft options.

The 718AP2 could very well be as forgiving as your 2008 AP1s. The 718AP3 has the same lofts as the 716 AP1. The 718AP1 is about a degree stronger through the set. The 718AP2 is a couple of degrees weaker than the AP3.  Five irons-AP2 = 27*, AP3 = 25*, AP1= 24*

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

@Jkf10 It's not in your head.  Manufacturing and materials improvements have allowed for advancements in weight distribution to make heads more stable on off center hits and improve ball launching in the long irons.  Ping i200's have the same moment of inertia value as G15's.

What could be in your head is you just getting along with the club.  The club that will get you the best results is the one you hit the center of the face most often.  Maybe that head/shaft combo is right for you and you just stroke it.  If it feels good, just roll with it.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

On 2/15/2018 at 5:38 PM, Jkf10 said:

I'm new on here but have a crazy question. I currently have a set of 2008 AP 1's, my handicap is 14. I put the game away for a few years and just got back in last fall. Anyway, I hit some 718 AP 2's and they feel more forgiving than my current set..... Am I nuts? Anyway I was considering the AP 3's and will get fitted but might also hit the 2's at the fitter as well. I guess my question is, have irons came that far or is it in my head?

Irons have come a long way in 10 years. I do still believe it's the person swinging the club, not the club itself. If you have consistent enough strikes, go ahead and get the AP2s. If not, AP3 or AP1 would be the way to go. It depends on the golfer, and that's true of any club.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

If you use anything long enough; you will eventually get the balance of it.  It is at that point, and not before, that your decisions have some empirical data behind them.  Like they say in hockey...don't get caught chasing the game.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 2255 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!