IGNORED

Graphite Shaft Irons

Ribber
Note: This thread is 2190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have convinced myself that I need graphite shaft irons because of my slower swing speed.

Reading through stuff, I keep seeing how graphite is for women/seniors with slow swings, but if graphite improves distance for seniors, would it not improve distance for everyone?

I switched to a set of AP1s with regular flex graphite shafts 3 years ago and I have never struck the ball so well as I do now.  The ball flies further and straighter for me. I'm 57 so not particularly old nor was I suffering any big loss of swing speed. I happened to meet a couple of friends late in the season on the course and I just had street clothes and shoes on. Played a couple of holes with my buddy's set and cripes. I was driver PW over the green on the 7th where I usually hit 9 or 8. When he upgraded that winter, I took his set and have used it since.  

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

3 hours ago, Ribber said:

I have convinced myself that I need graphite shaft irons because of my slower swing speed.

Reading through stuff, I keep seeing how graphite is for women/seniors with slow swings, but if graphite improves distance for seniors, would it not improve distance for everyone?

Graphite shafts are not just for women and seniors...they are a good option for other situations as well.  

They are great for players who suffer from arthritis, tendinitis, or back problems.  One of the attributes of graphite is that it absorbs the vibration caused at impact from running up the shaft and into the hands, arms, and the rest of the body.  Those with these conditions will notice less discomfort when playing and the following day.

One of the benefits of graphite shafts is the reduction of weight, which as you pointed out can help players generate more clubhead speed and increase distance.  However, stronger players typically like the feel of heavier shafts in their irons because it helps them sense where the club is throughout their swing.  This is important, especially for iron play.  With a driver, we usually try to hit it as far as we can, but irons are for specific distances.  The stronger players aren't as concerned with more distance with their irons, but that they can control the distance and trajectory with their irons.  Also, because of the vibration dampening qualities of graphite, some players think this dampens the feel also.

Because of the additional cost, I have always told players who have asked me in the past that graphite shafts are a good choice if there is a good reason for it.  Players who don't have any physical issues, and who don't have issues generating clubhead speed and things like that will not notice much of a benefit.  This would just be spending extra money for no reason.  In certain circumstances, it's well worth the money.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

Agree with all the points made above. I have graphite shafts in my irons for two reasons -- a) they have an extra inch on them, and graphite shafts keep the overall weight down; and b) I have tendinitis in both forearms. Tour pros often say they stick with steel because it's more consistent, but as the technology improves more might go to graphite. There are a few tour pros who have experimented with graphite irons (Tim Herron and Rich Beem, I believe) but I'm not sure if they stuck with them. You might find more on the Champions Tour. 

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

I love the Recoil shafts in my irons. Not only are they a great "fit", but my elbow problem has disappeared, They're an option I think everyone should look into. They come In a lot of different weights, so the transition should be fairly easy. I play a 90 gram version, which works for me. They seem to play a little on the stiff side of flex, and are also available for drivers and hybrids, but I haven't tried those, and they don't seem as popular as the ones for irons and wedges. A bit pricey if re shafting, but they are included either as a upgrade by most OEM's or in the case of Mizuno, and some others, a free option.

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

I switched to all graphite in my early 50's and my back, wrists, and fingers have been thankful ever since.  I am now 66 and find that i can still generate respectable speed with graphite without trying to lengthen my swing.  I started t age 40 with steel shafts but once I tried the graphite shafts I was amazed by the softer feel of contact, even fat shots.

I always played with steel shafted irons for years.  As the technology began to produce light weight steel shafts I just never considered graphite because of the costs.  But last year did purchase a set of graphic shafted irons and I like them a lot.  The only difference I have noticed is the shock absorbing ability of the graphite is a lot better than with steel shafts on mishit shots.  I don't get more distance, or less either, and the performance seems the same, other than just noted.  

Butch

I have dabbled with some graphite shafts recently. I have noticed that there is virtually no increase in club head speed, but I do notice that I am able to hit the ball MUCH higher which does help with stopping the ball on the green. 

Michael

I have two sets of irons with graphite. I had them BEFORE developing Rheumatoid Arthritis because of the higher launch characteristics. But now my hands say "Thank you" on a mishit.

I can also attest to lighter weight Nippon steel shafts. Very consistent manufacture (and hence characteristics) throughout the set. Very easy spine align for example.

Lots of fun searching for the right shaft for the right club. Best to all, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I think graphite flexes more like the original hickory shafts than steel does.  Graphite enhances a smooth weight shift and release.  It also dampens the sting but not all of it!  I also like the extra length.  It makes the club in practice more upright at least as far as hand position.  I have stiff graphite, and it still flexes smoothly. 

Graphite shafts allow people to gain distance by being lighter, and thus allowing players to swing faster. Depending on the player, the weight of the club may not be the limiting factor in their swing speed.

I personally swing fast enough that a lighter shaft doesn't make a ton of difference to me, since my bottleneck is just how fast I can move my various body parts while also remaining in control of the motion. Seniors and ladies generally have less strength than college-aged guys, so their strength can be a limiting factor in how fast they can swing their clubs. If strength is the limiting factor, then lighter clubs will increase swing speed and make the ball go further when other variables remain the same.

Some players prefer heavier shafts for the feel of it or because it helps them control the ball better. I tried graphite shafts once and saw a pretty minimal difference in the performance for my swing (about the same dispersion and about the same distance), so I stuck with steel since they're what I'm used to and they're a lot cheaper.

I can't compare steel to graphite because I have never played steel. When I was fitted years ago by Ping they put me into graphite primarily due to three back surgeries and a relatively slow swing speed. I do have an old set of Ping Eye 2s I bought second hand on a lark and they do have steel shafts. I guess because I am so use to graphite I can't hit those old Ping to well, shafts feel heavy but I do play with them sometimes for fun. But I love the graphite shafts on all my clubs, (I have four sets not including the Ping Eye 2s).

Note: This thread is 2190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!