IGNORED

To get fitted or not to get fitted, that is the question

Note: This thread is 2229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and have enjoyed it so far......a lot of great topics.

I've been playing golf for several years I'm an average 14 - 16 handicap but am looking to better my game.

My question is, what are the opinions of getting clubs fitted, advantages, disadvantages....I've played with standard lie clubs pretty much the whole time but I'm thinking there's something with fitted clubs.  Comments and direction are more than welcome.

Thanks,

Jeff

Yes.  That is the answer. ;-) 

The only "disadvantage" is that there may be some cost involved.  Often the cost of the fitting is waived if clubs are purchased though.

Welcome!  :beer:

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, I think it's worth it. You may not need to adjust lengths or lies, but just hitting with different clubs and finding something that works best for you can be advantageous. 

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Cost is really the only downside if you're like me and feel you can get everything you need off ebay.  Getting the right shaft for your swing is an important part of fitting.  You'll realize that when you hit the same head with two different shafts and see a night and day difference.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Not a question, get fitted...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Golf is a cyborg activity - the blending of man (you) and machine (your clubs) to accomplish a task (get the little ball in the hole).

If you've been playing for awhile, a full fitting would do you the most good. It will do a number of things:

• Help you realize your shaft band: that's a cluster of shafts with similar characteristics which will fit your swing. Shafts I seem to swing well include the NS Pro 950, KBS Tour 90, and AWT 2.0 (Ping), and Recoil 95 F3R.
  • Help you set up your bag plan: You should emerge with recipe for the different phases of your game. And, you don't have to buy all the clubs at once: you can buy them as $$ become available. You'll have a list of specs for different types of clubs. (And, you may be able to find some slightly used that fit your recipe.)
  • Eliminate technical wobble: Too thin grips or a shaft just a bit too heavy, offset clubheads used by handsy player... all these little mismatches can degrade your game, keep you from playing your best. A good clubfitter can eliminate these distractions.

Then, once you start assembling your ideal set of clubs, the machine portion... you need to practice effectively to learn how to make the most of your new tools. That's the man (or woman) side of the equation.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

A part of a club fitting not yet discussed are the results shown on a launch monitor screen during club testing.  You'll get to see launch angle, carry, roll out and shot dispersion left, middle, right.  This is the part of a club fitting that takes all the subjectivity OUT of the process of buying new clubs.

I don't care WHAT the club says on the back, what is most important is performance in distance and direction.

Here's a good example:  When my wife was fitted, the driver was a no brainer.  Launch monitor results proved obvious as to which one she hit best.  Next the fitter tried a 3- then a 5-wood.  She couldn't get either to launch.  Enter a 7-wood and she's getting it to fly, carry and roll out to a good distance.  Hence, she wasn't offered or encouraged to buy two long clubs that didn't produce desired results.

Next up were the hybrids.  #3 and #4 didn't fly but a #5 worked great.  So now, she has a driver, 7-wood and a 5-hybrid.  Onto irons next.  A 6-iron was hit or miss, but generally not very good.  The fitter puts a 6-hyrbrid in her hands and the launch monitor shows good results.  7-iron through SW all worked great.

Bottom line was through a fitting, my wife got clubs that worked, delivered results and we purchased only clubs that worked for her game.  Without a fitting, we never would have known.

When I did a club fitting, same thing:  Ended up with clubs outside a conventional driver 3- and 5-wood, 4-iron - PW or whatever.  I could have ended up with a few clubs in the bag that just didn't fit my game.   With the fitting, I have the right clubs and they all work for me.

New sticks are really expensive.  Good to make sure you're purchasing ones that work best for your game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

A good fitting will allways help. I prever a trackman like fitting. because the data is more pure. if you use a indoor golf simulator the data can look better than the real thing.

A proper fitting starts with finding the right clubhead and the right shaft, i think it's most important in a fitting. Than offcourse there is lie.

If you consider new woods also i think you should look at how many fairways you hit not how long they go. And i learned over the years that most amateur players should benefit a shorter driver shaft for that reason.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

I got fitted and bought some new irons a couple of years ago.  My opinion is, unless there is something unusual about you physically, meaning, you are far from average, unusually tall or short, then average clubs bought off the rack will be fine without fitting.   I am very average, 5-9, 150, and the clubs I wound up with after fitting had very little change made to them, I think it was 1 degree of lie angle.  Otherwise, it was regular graphite shafts, Ping G-series irons, which are what they would call "game-improvement" irons.  In other words, I'm average size, so clubs right off the rack would have probably been just as good.  Average clubs for an average golfer of average size. 

But on the other hand, I'm still glad I got fitted.  It takes away a lot of the doubt about why you duffed that shot.  You know it isn't the club that's at fault.  And it was free if I bought the clubs.  The clubs cost the same as they would have if I had bought them off the rack. 

It's not the club, it's the swing.  But if the fitting is free, by all means do it.  It's fun, you get to use a launch monitor, you get someone watching your swing, they'll probably show you your swing on video, and they'll probably sell you some lessons in the process.  That's where a lot of these fitters make the money.  Lessons. 

Edited by Marty2019

As already posted; get fitted. Also plan on getting re-fitted a year or two down the road. Actually re-fitted is a poor choice of a word. "Re-checked" is more what I meant. 

Swings can change over time. Clubs can change over time, depending on how they are treated. An individual club may not fall into the same mesh as the rest of the clubs. My PW, and LW are part of my matched set of irons. Both are tweaked just a bit more than the rest of my irons.

The only disadvantage is not finding a qualified fitter. 

Another thing to think about is if your clubs can be easily adjusted as needed. Some local fitters/builders will not touch clubs with inserts in them. They are afraid cracking the logo inserts. They will recommend send the clubs back to the manufacturer for adjustment. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Get a club fitting.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Did you get fitted for clubs>?

My vote is absolutely get fitted, take your time, don't rush the process.  Do not be embarrassed to have a 2nd or 3rd session.  Its worth the time to find out what fits best.  Good-luck and let us know what you went with.

5 minutes ago, Bluefin646 said:

Did you get fitted for clubs>?

My vote is absolutely get fitted, take your time, don't rush the process.  Do not be embarrassed to have a 2nd or 3rd session.  Its worth the time to find out what fits best.  Good-luck and let us know what you went with.

I have, yes. The OP I don't know. In all, honesty. @Bluefin646 sometimes it takes a few sessions to get it right. Some fitters will NOT do a full bag fitting over one session. They usually will do it over 2 or 3. When I got fitted the first time, it was 3 sessions. This time it was one, only because my specs didn't change, and it was basically a figure out, where my last hybrid or fairway should be. 

I ended up as a 14 club set-up with: D, 4W, 20° H, 4I-PW, 52°, 56°, 60°, Putter. My fitter did say that I can play my 3I in place of my 60° or hybrid as I feel necessary.

@BUB901 I'm sharing my experience getting a dynamic fitting with you, to show you how important it is. I actually am playing a regular flex shaft in my irons and hybrid this time around. (I'm more concerned with direction and advancing than distance, I have plenty of that). It is worth every penny to get a quality dynamic fitting. I used a gift certificate the last two times to get it, still it's worth it. Your golf game will thank you.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

nice reply,

was wondering if Bub901 got fitted or is still toying with the idea?

I would say if u plan on getting fitted and take lessons, take lessons first with your current equipment, and get to a place you have some confidence, and then get fitted......

its a multi-step process...

Note: This thread is 2229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!