IGNORED

Iron Fitting or Lesson

Note: This thread is 2206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

I am a 20+ handicap golfer who just (early February) started enjoying golf again. I purchased a new set of Cobra Baffler Irons, a Callaway XR16 driver and FW, and a set of Callaway X-hot Hybrids. I'm going to have a little extra cash coming up and I want to know what the collective feels is the best way to advance my game. I can get a 1-hour lesson for $50 or an Iron fitting for $50. My research has led me to believe lessons/fitting are kind of a chicken and egg scenario. My swing characteristics will influence the optimal club parameters, yet having ill fitting clubs will affect my swing. 

So which would you do first? Take the lesson or get the fitting?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Get your swing issues sorted out first.  I can play a round with poorly fitted clubs but if my swing is crap it doesn't matter much what's in my hands.

Lessons one million percent

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

1 minute ago, alleztom said:

Lessons one million percent

Ditto to this and what everyone else has said...I can have $1000 clubs and not know how to use them, as was said. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Just to build upon what others have said...please do some research about instructors before you get a lesson. Just because someone is a “golf teacher” doesn’t always mean that they are good at what they do. There is A LOT of bad instruction out there. 

Normally I would be contrarian and entertain going for an iron fitting.  From your OP however, I gather you only have $50 to spend so an iron fitting will do you no good whatsoever since you can’t afford to buy the irons.  Therefore lessons.

If you are only going to take one $50 lesson, then I would go with the fitting.

Imo, clubs fitted to your current swing will do more good than one lesson. 

Now if you are going the multi lesson route, and find the right instructor, then get the lessons first.

If possible, find a club fitter/instructor combo person. As the instructor gets you a better swing, the same instructor, can also be your fitter as your swing changes.........for the better. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

9 hours ago, Sean_D said:

Hi All,

I am a 20+ handicap golfer who just (early February) started enjoying golf again. I purchased a new set of Cobra Baffler Irons, a Callaway XR16 driver and FW, and a set of Callaway X-hot Hybrids. I'm going to have a little extra cash coming up and I want to know what the collective feels is the best way to advance my game. I can get a 1-hour lesson for $50 or an Iron fitting for $50. My research has led me to believe lessons/fitting are kind of a chicken and egg scenario. My swing characteristics will influence the optimal club parameters, yet having ill fitting clubs will affect my swing. 

So which would you do first? Take the lesson or get the fitting?

Why not both? Eventually. Definitely 100% get fit first... You'll thank me in the long run... don't fit your swing to your clubs have your clubs fit your swing.

Counterpoint: You could get lessons first to develop a repeatable swing.

Point: If the clubs fit you to begin with, in the long run, you'll be better off getting that done first, then with properly fit clubs, you can get a proper swing, through lessons.

Here's the best answer: Ask the pro offering the lessons, his opinion. Explain to him, that you are interested in doing both. But in his professional opinion, if you should get fit first, or get lessons first.

You can have your cake and eat it too in this scenario.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

15 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

Just to build upon what others have said...please do some research about instructors before you get a lesson. Just because someone is a “golf teacher” doesn’t always mean that they are good at what they do. There is A LOT of bad instruction out there. 

The one lesson is mostly research. I intend to take a series of lessons, but I will “audition” several instructors by taking individual lessons initially. As an individual who is a highly trained coach (soccer not golf) I have very specific ideas about sports training and how to teach technique and tactic. I need to find an instructor who implements a methodology in line with my learning style and methodology.

15 hours ago, allenc said:

Normally I would be contrarian and entertain going for an iron fitting.  From your OP however, I gather you only have $50 to spend so an iron fitting will do you no good whatsoever since you can’t afford to buy the irons.  Therefore lessons.

I am not limited to $50, though I understand I gave that impression. I recently bought irons and will have them modified to match my specs. I am really stumped on which should come first. When I bought the irons, I hit some balls off a lie board, and the marks were very inconsistent and difficult to interpret. My swing has changed dramatically since then, and I can see the results on the range and the course. But that experience has me wondering.

12 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Why not both?

I will get both, but as a matter of prioritizing, I don’t necessarily want to get fit if my swing will change dramatically, and then need to be refit. Likewise, I don’t want to start lessons if my clubs are going to make learning a proper swing and getting results problematic.

It looks like the consensus is to take the lesson, and that was the direction I was leaning... but I have had this nagging in the back of head about not having clubs fitted. So much to do...

2 hours ago, Sean_D said:

The one lesson is mostly research. I intend to take a series of lessons, but I will “audition” several instructors by taking individual lessons initially. As an individual who is a highly trained coach (soccer not golf) I have very specific ideas about sports training and how to teach technique and tactic. I need to find an instructor who implements a methodology in line with my learning style and methodology.

I am not limited to $50, though I understand I gave that impression. I recently bought irons and will have them modified to match my specs. I am really stumped on which should come first. When I bought the irons, I hit some balls off a lie board, and the marks were very inconsistent and difficult to interpret. My swing has changed dramatically since then, and I can see the results on the range and the course. But that experience has me wondering.

If you already have new irons that you want to use then the fitting still won't do much good.  The most important parts of the fitting are what shafts you need and what club heads you need, and you already have both.  Sure you can see if you need the lies bent, buts that's just one small aspect.  You said your previous lie board test was inconsistent.  Does that mean just as many were hit toe down as toe up?  If that's the case I don't know what recommendation a fitter could give anyway.

Lessons.  And ask your lesson giver if he thinks the irons you bought are half decent for you.

2 hours ago, Sean_D said:

I will get both, but as a matter of prioritizing, I don’t necessarily want to get fit if my swing will change dramatically, and then need to be refit. Likewise, I don’t want to start lessons if my clubs are going to make learning a proper swing and getting results problematic.

I would prioritize the lessons.  As long as the clubs aren't wildly unfit for you (ladies flex shafts for someone with a 110 mph swing or completely incorrect lengths/lies) you should be able to learn just fine with them.  My time taking lessons has not been hindered one bit by my hand-me-down Mizunos.  However, they are relatively well fit for someone of average proportions with decent clubhead speed.

You could do a pseudo-fitting and get your lengths, lies, and lofts checked.  That way the fitter can adjust them to better suit you without having to get fit for a new set.  It's cheap too, the place around here charges about $5 per club.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

8 hours ago, Sean_D said:

It looks like the consensus is to take the lesson, and that was the direction I was leaning... but I have had this nagging in the back of head about not having clubs fitted. So much to do...

Ask any good swing instructor. Everyone here is telling you to lean toward lessons. But the instructor, yes is trying to sell you, whatever. But, he or she will tell you to get fit first if they are any kind of competent. Especially, if you are going to do both anyway... Some pros are con artists with quick fixes, but some legitimately want to see you get better.

My instructor is the same person who fit me for my EXi's irons and EX9 woods/hybrids (I play the CBX blade irons, CBX hybrid and 4-wood and CBX blade wedges) . Craig says, if you've been playing a bit and have gotten better, getting a properly fit set of golf clubs will help you play better, so when you take lessons afterwords, you don't have to adjust to the club, to properly do the drills that the pro is teaching you so that you do get better.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

7 hours ago, allenc said:

You said your previous lie board test was inconsistent.  Does that mean just as many were hit toe down as toe up?

I was hitting of the trailing edge of the club head a lot, and some marks on the heel and some on the toe. He recognized me as a former baseball player with a baseball swing. I would also bottom the club out early and strike the board a few inches before the ball. I basically left there knowing I would need to change my swing before I could get any kind of decent data on the clubs. I have made great strides on my swing, and have gotten rid of the baseball tendencies. 

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

This week, I took my first lesson. It was a phenomenal experience. I chose this specific instructor because he is one of the top 100 club fitters in the country. 

He identified my largest flaw immediately (outside-in swing path) and my lack of a proper follow through and had me performing a drill to rectify those flaws. The drill: He held a swimming noodle behind me while I swung and asked me to hit the noodle in my back-swing and miss it on my down-swing and wanted me to focus on my body position on my finish. He actually got me hitting a few draws instead of my signature slice. During my session, I was hitting my 8-iron and pelting the 150-yard marker. That was a 5-iron shot for me before the lesson. I have recreated the drill in my garage and practice it daily... Can't wait for my next round on Friday!

I had a fear that getting fitted and having my irons bent could have been a mistake, and it would have as the results were a 4* lie adjustment. I even asked my instructor about getting fitted and he told me to learn how to hit first.

Edited by Sean_D
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sean_D said:

This week, I took my first lesson. It was a phenomenal experience. I chose this specific instructor because he is one of the top 100 club fitters in the country. 

He identified my largest flaw immediately (outside-in swing path) and my lack of a proper follow through and had me performing a drill to rectify those flaws. The drill: He held a swimming noodle behind me while I swung and asked me to hit the noodle in my back-swing and miss it on my down-swing and wanted me to focus on my body position on my finish. He actually got me hitting a few draws instead of my signature slice. During my session, I was hitting my 8-iron and pelting the 150-yard marker. That was a 5-iron shot for me before the lesson. I have recreated the drill in my garage and practice it daily... Can't wait for my next round on Friday!

I had a fear that getting fitted and having my irons bent could have been a mistake, and it would have as the results were a 4* lie adjustment. I even asked my instructor about getting fitted and he told me to learn how to hit first.

Awesome - well done and that's great news! I think it's a great sign with a clubfitter (I've had this before with Precision Golf in the UK, who are amazing) when they don't fit to a flaw and both encourage you to take the time to get better as well as help you do so rather than making quick money. 

Keep it up and great to hear of the renewed enthusiasm :-)

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Note: This thread is 2206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!