Jump to content
IGNORED

Patrick Reed vs. the Rules of Golf


NM Golf

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Oy, again with this one.  On the video I see him mark and lift his ball, and set it to the side.  I did NOT see him wandering around probing for random depressions, poking in tees at random to mislead the official who appeared to arrive just a few moments matter being summoned.

The deep hole the ball jumped out of was only about a foot away.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The deep hole the ball jumped out of was only about a foot away.  

What you keep saying is not supported by the video at all. Please, show us when he moves the tees from the ones he puts right by his ball to the one "only about a foot away," and then explain how he knew that there would be another impression in that thick rough since he didn't see it bounce.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Oy, again with this one.  On the video I see him mark and lift his ball, and set it to the side.  I did NOT see him wandering around probing for random depressions, poking in tees at random to mislead the official who appeared to arrive just a few moments matter being summoned.

Did you see how they delayed the showing of anything to do with this? 5 minutes after his shot from the sand they had some rules guy come on the broadcast. 5 minutes after that they showed Reed arriving at his ball. Another 3 minutes before RO gets there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Did you see how they delayed the showing of anything to do with this? 5 minutes after his shot from the sand they had some rules guy come on the broadcast. 5 minutes after that they showed Reed arriving at his ball. Another 3 minutes before RO gets there. 

Dude, they showed the entire clip of him getting up there through to him finishing his drop.

I don't think it was three minutes until the RO got there.

Hell, this whole video is only 3:54:

 

The RO is on the scene a few feet from the ball at 1:50 in that video.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
Just now, Bonvivant said:

Did you see how they delayed the showing of anything to do with this? 5 minutes after his shot from the sand they had some rules guy come on the broadcast. 5 minutes after that they showed Reed arriving at his ball. Another 3 minutes before RO gets there. 

Actually, the video that shows the whole process is a bit under 4 minutes long, no breaks.  Walking up, marking, calling for the official, official examining the spot, one take. 

image.jpg

Patrick Reed discusses with rules officials as he takes relief for an embedded ball on No. 10 during Round 3 at the 2021 Farmers Insurance Open.

If you think he marked some extra locations while the camera was pointed away, compare the location of the ball with the seams in the cart path.  The official evaluated the proper spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

What you keep saying is not supported by the video at all. Please, show us when he moves the tees from the ones he puts right by his ball to the one "only about a foot away," and then explain how he knew that there would be another impression in that thick rough since he didn't see it bounce.

I don't think the camera was on him 100% of the time. I'll have to go back and review the footage.  I simply don't believe the ball came to rest in that deep hole he had the RO probing.  In front of my own eyes I am becoming a conspiracy theorist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I don't think the camera was on him 100% of the time. I'll have to go back and review the footage.  I simply don't believe the ball came to rest in that deep hole he had the RO probing.  In front of my own eyes I am becoming a conspiracy theorist.

FFS:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

  In front of my own eyes I am becoming a conspiracy theorist.

Agreed, a retrospective objective analysis of the footage lead the RO’s to the conclusion that he didn’t violate any rules and didn’t do anything you are claiming. You are choosing to believe what fits your preconceived notions rather than taking the objective look at the facts and letting them take you to the most reasonable conclusion. 

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 minute ago, The Flush said:

I now understand how Q-Anon exists.

Please, thats getting kind of close to politics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So why are so many people saying there's a controversy???  Can't simply be because he tossed his ball aside.  There has to be more.  This is a serious question.

I could be wavering... I don't want to incriminate a guy when he did nothing wrong or devious... wouldn't be fair.  Doesn't matter what he did in the past. 

I watched the 4 minute video and can't honestly say if he stuck a tee in the ground... I see his right hand moving around the ball but when he gets up I see no tee sticking there... no visual evidence.  Granted, the grass is long so any tee he inserted could be below the grass level.

Anyone see the movie "Blow Up"?  We need super close up shots of Mr. Reed's hand hovering around the ball.

This whole episode sure eclipses the tournament.  I was at Pebble Beach two weeks after Tiger holed out from the fairway on #15 to lock up the tournament.  I asked my caddie to show me that spot.  Now I want to go to Torrey Pines and check out the pitch mark in the left rough on #10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I watched the 4 minute video and can't honestly say if he stuck a tee in the ground... I see his right hand moving around the ball but when he gets up I see no tee sticking there... no visual evidence.  Granted, the grass is long so any tee he inserted could be below the grass level.

I didn't see him put a tee in, but I saw him remove the tee after the official had examined the lie.  I think it was a camera angle thing, with the camera behind Reed when he first arrived at the ball.  The cam had moved around to the front by the time he pulled the tee out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I could be wavering... I don't want to incriminate a guy when he did nothing wrong or devious... wouldn't be fair.  Doesn't matter what he did in the past.

That's the entirety of the controversy. Or at least 95% of it, with the other 5% being that the ball did in fact bounce. But so did Rory's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been quiet waiting to examine myself.  Much of what I am going to say has been said by others so sorry for a like duplication.

1) if you are going to be critical of Patrick you need to make the same criticism towards Rory.  It is either OKfor all of none regardless of past track record.  Nobody double checked Rory’s, so why should Patrick be required to have someone else confirm it?

2) Dottie does not know the rules.  She says you never touch the ball before calling the official.  The rules and ROs say otherwise.

3) I see no evidence he cheated.  Since there is no camera footage showing the lie all we can do is speculate.  Remember, he did not have the benefit of the replay showing if bounced and we can not be certain it was not imbedded even after the bounce.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
19 minutes ago, StuM said:

Dottie does not know the rules.  She says you never touch the ball before calling the official.  The rules and ROs say otherwise

Many many players, and ex-players, have very limited knowledge of the rules.  For them, the only safe thing to do is call an official whenever there's any question.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
21 minutes ago, StuM said:

2) Dottie does not know the rules.  She says you never touch the ball before calling the official.  The rules and ROs say otherwise.

Yes.

Plus what Dave just said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • iacas changed the title to Patrick Reed vs. the Rules of Golf

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Day 89: Yard was dry enough for outdoor practice. Hit some balls with full swing, didn't really focus on a particular element of the swing, I just wanted to get some information/observations to take to my lesson tomorrow. Took note of start line, launch angle, and also some feel related things like balance, recentering, hip/shoulder turn. Mostly starting the ball straight or a bit right, which works okay with my normal ball flight (draw). Launch is a bit high, I suspect I need to continue working on clubface control, but I will get more info on this from lesson. Still suffer from a periodic low pull (maybe 1 out of every 5-7 shots), which I know based on my previous experience, is an unplayable pull-hook. If I could somehow hit the same pull with a slightly open clubface, maybe it would be workable ball flight, but right now, it's really costly on the course, and the main thing I want to work out tomorrow.
    • I did my B workout today. More of the same, but obviously different things. I've used rubber bands instead of medicine balls so far.
    • Closer to Colorado where you hated the winters... 😄
    • Surprisingly busy at my home course early afternoon today , wanted to play 2 balls but had to drop it after the 3rd hole.  I had a one ball score of 50 for 9 holes.   The wind was heavy and on the 3rd my soaring drive was going nice and straight and then blew 30 yards hard right , followed by a topped fairway shot and the hole turned into a triple.  Another top on the 9th turned what should have been a single into a double bogey. Wind hurt my drives some on that hole too.  Highlight of the day was a 200 yard 3 iron drive dead straight against the wind on the 1st hole. First time on the course with this 3 iron since a regrip and new shaft, it was a gift from a family friend so glad to have it back out. Just a 90’s Spaulding Tour Advance but cool to have it back out and hitting some fairways again. 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. david7w5
      david7w5
      (49 years old)
    2. Jmwest76
      Jmwest76
      (45 years old)
    3. Mikael Detterberg
      Mikael Detterberg
      (39 years old)
    4. NEhomer
      NEhomer
      (61 years old)
    5. RangeGolfer
      RangeGolfer
      (40 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...