IGNORED

Your golf etiquette off the course

Jeanne
Note: This thread is 2219 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The man I date and who introduced me to golf said recently (we are going through a tough time ?) the following...

”I’m such an awesome person on the golf course because I know I’m just okay as a golfer so I never judge or criticize anyone. If I would apply this same etiquette to my personal life off the course how much better would all relationships be? This includes business, personal and of course girlfriends and spouses.”

i paraphased everything he said but same message.

I thought this was brilliant. What if I walked the life of golf etiquette of respect and patience and tolerance in real life.

thought I’d share

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Oh and he didn’t say this but of course being humble and vulnerable! Golf can be humiliating but so invigorating when all of that is okay.

17 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

The man I date and who introduced me to golf said recently (we are going through a tough time ?) the following...

”I’m such an awesome person on the golf course because I know I’m just okay as a golfer so I never judge or criticize anyone. If I would apply this same etiquette to my personal life off the course how much better would all relationships be? This includes business, personal and of course girlfriends and spouses.”

i paraphased everything he said but same message.

I thought this was brilliant. What if I walked the life of golf etiquette of respect and patience and tolerance in real life.

thought I’d share

Golf and life have a lot of parallels @Jeanne. It is absolutely brilliant. Be humble, kind, and non-judgemental. We all face struggles and golf is hard. 

I can be a jerk at times and I need to work on it. I say things to people at work and when I'm out and sometimes to the people I love. That when I'm stressed out or angry, I can be an asshole. I have to deal with server's dumb shit they talk about. I've learned to ignore it and do my job to the best of my ability. 

It's like golf, control the things you can, accept the things you can't. Be humble, kind, helpful and non-judgemental. Some days are better than others. If you have something bad happen just try to make the best of it. That's all we can do.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

44 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

But if course we all get angry on the golf course too...but only at ourself!

you should find the thread about hitting a ball into the group in front of you....  just sayin'

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I was an honest, but firm businessman, during my working years. I am an honest golfer too. My firm, business mentality also made me a butt head in the eyes of others......at times. I have never been given the opportunity to be a butthead on the golf course. 

I also adopted that old scenario "anything worth doing, is worth doing right". Golf is also something worth doing right, although sometimes what I am doing , doesn't seem right. 

My daily, employer, and  family personality was built on honesty, understanding, respect, and love. All of those traits are a part of my golf life. 

My wife tells me I am the strongest, most patient person she has ever known. That kind of scares me, but patience is also a part of my golf game. 

I guess my point is what ever kind of person you see, or meet on a golf course, that's probably the way they are in their real life. Golf is the one game that brings out the best, (and worst) of an individual.

• Like 2

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

If the premise is that he doesn't judge others because his own skills are "just ok", does that mean the best players are allowed to?

Not judging and criticizing is good, but your skills and abilities should have no part in it. One should be cordial to everyone initially, regardless of their and your strengths or weaknesses.

• Like 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Thanks for all the replies.Good insight from all. My original post was about a guy who was better about etiquette on the golf course than off. Yes there are jerks on the golf course. He just realized how “great” he was on the golf course with others...and why “he” does not apply the same standards off the course.

Along the same lines, this reminds me of a newspaper column which was basically a list of tips for women on how to evaluate the potential of a man on a first date: "A man who is nice to you but rude to a waiter/waitress is not a nice man." 

Just my .02 worth. 

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

My cartoon bubble was a little different:

• people screaming at drivers and walkers to go faster (even if there is no place to go)
  • sunflower seeds and cigar butts everywhere
  • people judging others by how nice their shoes and watches are
  • paying a goofy amount of money
  • Judge Smails hats.......everywhere
  • excessive misogyny everywhere
  • good bloody marys

(all in jest - I try to expect a decent level from others as my default position, so when I see the bad ones, it tends to stick in my mind more)

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2219 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!