IGNORED

I gotta bad case of the slices!!!

Note: This thread is 2121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 hours ago, Shark918v said:

Because if you're lucky enough to swing the hell outta your driver, and the shot is straight and low, you're bound to his the aforementioned "aiming stick." And in pulverizing said "aiming stick" it will inevitably fly some distance down range. 

I've done this!

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Shark918v said:

498CBAF4-D22A-4788-9310-A6854955F2E9.png

Taken a few hours ago in my backyard. 

Were you hitting a ball?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

On 12/4/2018 at 1:17 PM, winninggolfer said:

A top online golf coach gave me this formula for fixing a slice - 

Here are the 4 things you must do to fix your golf slice in the quickest possible time…

1. Setup for a draw

2. Swing from the inside so the ball starts to the right (for a right handed golfer), or left (for a left handed golfer) of your final target

3. Contact the ball with a slightly closed clubface

4. Have equipment that encourages you to draw the ball.

In his opinion that list of 4 things is generally the opposite of what every golfer does to hit a slice.

2- Wrong.. the ball starts 90% to were the face is aiming, not the club path.
3- Inaccurate.. the club face should be closed to the club path but open to the target.

With that the ball will start rigth of the target because of the club face is open to the target, and it will turn left because the club face it´s closed to the club path. Thats a typicall draw. 

On 4/15/2018 at 10:26 PM, Shark918v said:

498CBAF4-D22A-4788-9310-A6854955F2E9.png

Taken a few hours ago in my backyard. 

This really isn't very insightful. Video would help. The only thing we know for sure is that your path is left of your club face.

Colin P.

Mark Crossfield has a YouTube video on slicing. I've viewed it a couple of time because like you I tend to fade or slice the ball, (starts out straight then fades or in some cases slices to the right). A suggestion he had which helped me was to not cup your left wrist on the back swing but actually push it out a little. I suggest you look it up and watch, it may help.

• 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:24 PM, cooke119 said:

Mark Crossfield has a YouTube video on slicing. I've viewed it a couple of time because like you I tend to fade or slice the ball, (starts out straight then fades or in some cases slices to the right). A suggestion he had which helped me was to not cup your left wrist on the back swing but actually push it out a little. I suggest you look it up and watch, it may help.

I give up, going back to a Pro. Played yesterday and I think I hit two fairways out of 18! I put the driver away and was using my 3W and still pushed/faded/sliced to the right. I even hit my long irons to the right. I definitely need some professional help.  

Let's not overcomplicate this.

To me there are three things to consider:

1.  Your grip is too weak

2.  Your swing is out to in

3.  Your equipment is poorly matched to your swing

Very easy to experiment with 1 and 3 (separately).  If neither of those help, take a lesson.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, cooke119 said:

I give up, going back to a Pro. Played yesterday and I think I hit two fairways out of 18! I put the driver away and was using my 3W and still pushed/faded/sliced to the right. I even hit my long irons to the right. I definitely need some professional help.  

I went to the Pro today for a lesson, Carly Peters, she was great. Anyway I explained my problem, she watched me take a couple of swings with the driver. Her insight right away, grip good, on plane, tempo good, good contact. My problem, not getting my weight transferred to my left side, (I'm right handed). She asked me to hit a wedge and hold the finish, then asked me how my weight felt on my feet, i.e., how much (%) on the left and right. I told her it was about 50/50. She wanted 90% on the left 10% or less on the right.  Her drill was to put away the driver, take a wedge, grip normally with the left hand but just put my right hand flat down the back of the grip/shaft, then hit some shots concentrating on ending with my weight on my left foot. It worked, she could tell from the limited ball flight that things were straighter. I then went to the driver and concentrated on the same feeling (full grip), end with 90% on my left foot and hold the pose. Drive straightened right out. Did the same with my three wood, same result. Now, I don't think I am totally cured but I now know what to feel in my swing, I just have to remember to do it. We also practiced with the 9 iron, same result, straight. 

I asked her to not say "fire with the hips first," I hate that saying because I can never do it. She laughed and said she didn't like that saying either, that with feeling of the weight movement to the left the body turn would happen naturally. For me it worked, I'll know how good it works tomorrow since I'm playing a round.

On 3/28/2018 at 6:58 AM, Shark918v said:

PLEASE Help!

Can anyone recommend a or some good drills that will help me learn to close my club face. 

About 60% of my swings are either a straight or push type slice. 

My club plane and hand plane are good. My back swing angle is good. My tempo is good. I set up to the ball and get aligned well. My grip is above par. I just can't seem to bring my club face into square at impact. 

I previously thought that I was simply going in to out on my down swing. By all video accounts that was the case. So, I worked on it. I placed a water bottle about 12" in front of and slightly outside my right toes. That got my club plane on track. My hand plane has always been consistent....

PLEASE help!!!!

Not sure if actively closing your club face will help your slice?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, cooke119 said:

I went to the Pro today for a lesson, Carly Peters, she was great. Anyway I explained my problem, she watched me take a couple of swings with the driver. Her insight right away, grip good, on plane, tempo good, good contact. My problem, not getting my weight transferred to my left side, (I'm right handed). She asked me to hit a wedge and hold the finish, then asked me how my weight felt on my feet, i.e., how much (%) on the left and right. I told her it was about 50/50. She wanted 90% on the left 10% or less on the right.  Her drill was to put away the driver, take a wedge, grip normally with the left hand but just put my right hand flat down the back of the grip/shaft, then hit some shots concentrating on ending with my weight on my left foot. It worked, she could tell from the limited ball flight that things were straighter. I then went to the driver and concentrated on the same feeling (full grip), end with 90% on my left foot and hold the pose. Drive straightened right out. Did the same with my three wood, same result. Now, I don't think I am totally cured but I now know what to feel in my swing, I just have to remember to do it. We also practiced with the 9 iron, same result, straight. 

I asked her to not say "fire with the hips first," I hate that saying because I can never do it. She laughed and said she didn't like that saying either, that with feeling of the weight movement to the left the body turn would happen naturally. For me it worked, I'll know how good it works tomorrow since I'm playing a round.

Well results are in from my round yesterday. Wedges great, irons great, 3W good but I did push a few to the right but no slice. Driver only so/so, didn't get that weight transfer feeling and weight was not on my left side when I finished the stroke. I need to go to the range again, (tomorrow), and work on it, hopefully it will come. I can't understand how it can work on everything else except the driver? I'm not looking for more distance from the driver, (then what I normally get), I'm not trying to kill it, why the difference, I don't know. I guess it will just take more work with the driver.

I have a very similar issue.  I struggle to get my weight shifted to the left as well.  I have been working for 6 weeks now as it is key 2.  I still have days that I fall back to having my weight on the right foot at the end of the swing.  The really funny thing for me is I only really struggled with the weight to left side with the driver.  I also struggle with trying to swing to hard with the driver and not with the other clubs.  It is a great feeling to pound one with the driver but be patient and keep at it.  It will pay off.

Note: This thread is 2121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!