IGNORED

Quick Question About AP2s vs MP58s

Note: This thread is 2184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are you sure you mean MP58?   Thats an iron from like 2009 or 2010.   

That said, AP2's aren't exactly the most forgiving clubs on the market.   But, they're not trying to be either.  They're a players iron.  

so..   I don't know.   you should probably hit them both.   but, since the AP2s are 6-8 years newer, I'd imagine they'll feel better.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, lastings said:

Are you sure you mean MP58?   Thats an iron from like 2009 or 2010.   

That said, AP2's aren't exactly the most forgiving clubs on the market.   But, they're not trying to be either.  They're a players iron.  

so..   I don't know.   you should probably hit them both.   but, since the AP2s are 6-8 years newer, I'd imagine they'll feel better.  

Yeah I have the mizunos, that's what I'm currently playing, I'm just wondering if the Titleist will give me a little more forgiveness on off center strikes.

Colin P.

Hard to measure "forgiveness" without a robot.  There are so many variables to strike with AoA, clubhead speed, dynamic loft, strike location, face to path, low point, etc etc etc.  Play what feels and looks right to you.  Get on a good launch monitor and see the dispersion pattern, especially short to long dispersion in carry distance.  At the end of the day, the club isn't going to help much as club technologies are limited by the governing bodies of the R&A and USGA.  It's down to what you deliver in this game.

Edited by ncates00

54 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Yeah I have the mizunos, that's what I'm currently playing, I'm just wondering if the Titleist will give me a little more forgiveness on off center strikes.

They look very similar so I would guess they're roughly the same. You should test them and compare.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I've had the MP 57s and have the 714 AP2. I would say the AP2 are a bit more forgiving. They feel slightly muted on off center hits, whereas the MP-57 would be more harsh.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I know not everyone subscribes to the Maltby system, but....according to that, the Titleist CBs and MBs are more forgiving than the AP2s??

Colin P.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, colin007 said:

I know not everyone subscribes to the Maltby system, but....according to that, the Titleist CBs and MBs are more forgiving than the AP2s??

That might be why not everyone subscribes to it?

:-D 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Lol gotcha....but now I'm so confused

Colin P.

2 minutes ago, colin007 said:

but now I'm so confused

...and that is the first step to understanding 😏

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

12 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

...and that is the first step to understanding 😏

And now there's the t-mb to consider as well...SMDH

Colin P.

47 minutes ago, colin007 said:

And now there's the t-mb to consider as well...SMDH

Eenie meenie minie mo.

Or, you know, you can go demo some clubs and get fit on a launch monitor ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Eenie meenie minie mo.

Or, you know, you can go demo some clubs and get fit on a launch monitor ;-)

That's too much work!!! Why should I do that when I can just make you all tell me what to think??? 😁😁😁

Colin P.

5 minutes ago, colin007 said:

That's too much work!!! Why should I do that when I can just make you all tell me what to think??? 😁😁😁

In that case, you should get a combo set of MP18s.

Make sure you get the clubs in my specs and I might know someone who you can give them to if they don't work out 😉

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

• iacas changed the title to Quick Question About AP2s vs MP58s

You probably won't notice much difference in forgiveness, but you might notice some difference in feel or how the club looks and performs for you. 

No idea why, but every time I have ever demoed the Titleist AP2 I hit it like trash. It's a shame because I used to think they were attractive clubs (how I hit them has soured me to their looks, admittedly), but I would hit them literally 10 yards shorter on every club in the bag compared even to blades, with similar dispersion as anything else. 

I personally would stick with the Mizuno's since they look and will feel better, but if you're in the market for something new to you you could always try out the MP5's. I found them to be very easy to hit, on par with the MP59, while having the attractive look of a MB (though the topline is fatter than a normal MB).

38 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

You probably won't notice much difference in forgiveness, but you might notice some difference in feel or how the club looks and performs for you. 

No idea why, but every time I have ever demoed the Titleist AP2 I hit it like trash. It's a shame because I used to think they were attractive clubs (how I hit them has soured me to their looks, admittedly), but I would hit them literally 10 yards shorter on every club in the bag compared even to blades, with similar dispersion as anything else. 

I personally would stick with the Mizuno's since they look and will feel better, but if you're in the market for something new to you you could always try out the MP5's. I found them to be very easy to hit, on par with the MP59, while having the attractive look of a MB (though the topline is fatter than a normal MB).

Thanks bro! I'm looking into the Titleist options because I've got a connection and may be able to get a new set for cheapy cheap.

I love my Mizunos but I could honestly use a little more forgiveness...

Colin P.

On 4/25/2018 at 5:30 PM, colin007 said:

On 4/25/2018 at 9:25 PM, iacas said:

I saw that too.  Maybe (just maybe) the CB could be a tad more forgiving, but I don't understand how a narrower sole and less bounce on the MB makes it a more forgiving club than the AP2???

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

5 hours ago, paperclip said:

I saw that too.  Maybe (just maybe) the CB could be a tad more forgiving, but I don't understand how a narrower sole and less bounce on the MB makes it a more forgiving club than the AP2???

Sorry, I typoed...I should've said it was the T-MB, which makes some sense since that one's a hollow body construction

As for the CB, perhaps it is, since it's more of a perimeter weighted player's cavity back

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 2184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!