IGNORED

2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills

iacas
Note: This thread is 2131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Shindig said:

idk, Dustin made a nice birdie 3 there.  It's nice to have a driveable par-4 so early in the round.

Another near-GIR for Tiger, nearer than the last one, which was nearer than the first hole's approach.  At this rate, he won't have to putt on the second nine at all. 

Hmmm.  I was expecting an emoji with that first sentence.  It’s a joke right?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Rory had 3 doubles in his first 11 holes.

And i would seriously question if a 10 would make an occassional par; thats approx what i am and what i've seen so far there's no way i could par any of these holes. A 250 yd par 3? I'd hit driver and come up short. A 535 yd par 4? Ridiculous; 90% of the par 5's i play are that length or shorter.

The severity of the rough compared to what most 'average joe 10 hdcp' plays, the slopes and run offs around the greens, the speed of the greens. The only way a 10 handicap would make a par would be a lucky chip in.

And you've never birdied those holes you described?  If you've ever made birdie on a 535 yard par-5 (and I have, and I'm not good at golf), there's a chance a 10-hcp could make a par on a 535 yard par-4.  Par is for the viewer convenience.

They could also get a good up and down from a good miss -- if they aren't going for the pin or even green, there are probably some good places to miss.

Just now, allenc said:

Hmmm.  I was expecting an emoji with that first sentence.  It’s a joke right?

Yes.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

31 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Kinda sucks to see the game’s biggest names blowing up already today. I mean if Tiger keeps sliding, you could have Tiger, Phil, Spieth, Rory and Day basically out of it after one day. I mean I’ll still watch but it definitely loses its punch.

This year's US Open so far is awful. The course sucks and so does the coverage on Fox. And has anyone at Fox noticed that the picture has boxes all over the top of the screen?

No one will watch if the big names are gone by tomorrow. The ratings are already bad due to the fact the coverage is on Fox add to that no name players on the leaderboard. Who wants to watch that?

Some of the guys have hit good shots only to roll off the green.....awful....

Still not a single GIR for Tiger after four holes.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

12 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Rory had 3 doubles in his first 11 holes.

And i would seriously question if a 10 would make an occassional par; thats approx what i am and what i've seen so far there's no way i could par any of these holes. A 250 yd par 3? I'd hit driver and come up short. A 535 yd par 4? Ridiculous; 90% of the par 5's i play are that length or shorter.

The severity of the rough compared to what most 'average joe 10 hdcp' plays, the slopes and run offs around the greens, the speed of the greens. The only way a 10 handicap would make a par would be a lucky chip in.

There are many shorter holes as well.  Even on those two holes I think I would have a (maybe long) putt for par relatively often.

Beautiful pitch by Tiger on #4.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

4 minutes ago, JSGolf said:

This year's US Open so far is awful. The course sucks and so does the coverage on Fox. And has anyone at Fox noticed that the picture has boxes all over the top of the screen?

No one will watch if the big names are gone by tomorrow. The ratings are already bad due to the fact the coverage is on Fox add to that no name players on the leaderboard. Who wants to watch that?

Some of the guys have hit good shots only to roll off the green.....awful....

Not sure I would agree that the course is awful. It’s ranked as one of the best in the world. Balls rolling off greens is what gives this course its identity and the US Open it’s identity. But I agree that not having the big names up there will cause a loss of interest by many.

8 minutes ago, JSGolf said:

Personally, I don't follow any particular golfer so whether the leader is a "big name" or a "no name", it's all the same to me.

I'll be more likely to turn it off due to Fox's coverage/announcers than the leaderboard (with a few exceptions.) 

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I’m interested to see how the USGA will set up the next few days with breezes still up but not as bad as today. They could really let these greens get fast and scores could really balloon. Or they can try and keep greens somewhat soft like today and try and get some scores in the red. I don’t think Andy North’s prediction of -8 winning and a lot of guys finishing under par is looking too good right now.

Edited by ChrisP

Were they arguing about who should hold still?

Tiger walking after it and moving on to pick up his tee.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

2 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I’m interested to see how the USGA will set up the next few days with breezes still up but not as bad as today. They could really let these greens get fast and scores could really balloon. Or they can try and keep greens somewhat soft like today and try and get some scores in the red. I don’t think Andy North’s prediction of -8 winning and a lot of guys finishing under par is looking too good right now.

IMO they are going to get worse with the greens drying out. The scores have already ballooned.

I have to laugh at the Fox commentators and how bad they are contradicting each other when a shot is hit. One says it's good and the other says it isn't....LOL  Just awful coverage

7 minutes ago, krupa said:

I'll be more likely to turn it off due to Fox's coverage/announcers than the leaderboard (with a few exceptions.) 

Like in any sport no one wants to see a major with no names leading it.....

Tiger long on approach 4 in a row....and of course LaCava silent as usual. Damn I wish JL would shake Tiger and straighten him out. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 minutes ago, JSGolf said:

Like in any sport most people don't want to see a major with no names leading it.....

FTFY...

As I said, I don't care and I will watch anyway. My enjoyment of watching golf is not enhanced because I'm watching Jordan or DJ or Tiger or whoever.  If Joe Blow comes out of nowhere, has the best four rounds of his life, plays lights-out, and wins... cool. 

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Stricker with a nice approach on #14.

-- Michael | My swing! 

20 minutes ago, Zeph said:

Still not a single GIR for Tiger after four holes.

Further proof for my point that a 10 hdcp would have great difficulty making a par.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

Kinda sucks to see the game’s biggest names blowing up already today. I mean if Tiger keeps sliding, you could have Tiger, Phil, Spieth, Rory and Day basically out of it after one day. I mean I’ll still watch but it definitely loses its punch.

So why are these superstar golfers playing so bad?

So no one at Fox has noticed the annoying triangle boxes on the top of their coverage screen? Lawd....just awful.......

And why did the golf media think Tiger had a chance of winning? I knew he would implode early.

21 minutes ago, allenc said:

Even on those two holes I think I would have a (maybe long) putt for par relatively often.

Which you would likely never make and more likely 3 putt for double.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Note: This thread is 2131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!