iacas

TPM - A Great Putting Training Aid

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

https://ixiasports.com/products/true-pendulum-motion

I wanted to take a long overdue moment to talk a little bit about one of the better putting training aids on the market today. Putting is, as you know, one of the areas of the game that have the least effect on your score, and yet… is so, so, so frustrating to a lot of people. Though the average person loses fewer strokes to putting than they might think, those with a glaring weakness can really pile up the lost strokes, becoming increasingly frustrated with each and every one.

Now, long-time forum members know that putting is three things: Read, Bead, and Speed. TPM won't be able to help you with the Read, but it can help you with the Bead and the Speed keys - starting putts on line and hitting them the correct distance.

What is it?

Essentially it's two extendable rods that attach to your putter mid-way down the shaft to help you create a more pendulum-like putting motion. The rods rest on top of your forearms and under your armpits. The attachment point to your putter is rubbery, so it's not "clamped" in, and the rods will give a little of course unless you really squeeze your armpits tightly, so there's still a little wiggle room for a little wrist action in the stroke, which is great.

tpm_above.jpg

Each rod extends much like some ball retrievers you've seen - you twist the "outer" or "upper" rod one direction to loosen it, slide it to the desired length, and then tighten by twisting the other direction. The inner or lower rod is marked with numbers, so you can set the TPM to the same setting each time - kids will use the smaller numbers, while even someone who is over 6' tall can use the TPM comfortably.

tpm_cody_1.jpgtpm_cody_2.jpg

Cody, above, is about 5'8" and can generally use one of the middle length settings. You can see the effect it has on his putting stroke (particularly from face-on) below:

Yes, he still adds a little "flourish" (out to the right) at the end of his putting stroke. It leads to some interesting looking traces in SAM PuttLab, but generally doesn't impact his putting, as it's well after the ball is gone.

Here's James Sieckmann talking about the TPM:

And 5SK guy Corey Lundberg:

The TPM comes already assembled:

tpm_box.jpg

The TPM is lightweight, but sturdy and strong with aluminum and rubber composition (and a little plastic).

How do you use it?

1. Attach the TPM to your putter at about the mid-point of the shaft below the grip:

tpm_front.jpg

2. Spread the rods apart and extend them to the proper length for your setup style:

tpm_on_putter_1.jpg

3. Grip your putter, resting the TPM against the top side of your forearms and beneath your arms:

tpm_on_putter_2.jpg

4. Putt!

tpm_on_putter_3.jpgtpm_on_putter_4.jpg

That's all there is to it. As you can see, the TPM accommodates putting strokes of variety, too: regular, cross-handed, claw, pencil, and other styles. It may not work with every putting style (some more extreme arm-lock style strokes didn't work perfectly), but it worked for far more than it didn't work for.

The TPM costs $89.99 and is available for order at https://ixiasports.com.

It comes with my strong recommendation.

tpm_conn_back.jpg

tpm_side.jpg

tpm_solo.jpg

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Hmmm... I need to give this some serious consideration.  If I'm reading it correctly, it should help my putting mechanics, which when fixed remove one variable (did I execute the stroke correctly) from possible causes of makes or misses.   I know my putting has (small sample size) improved the last few rounds, but it would be nice to know I'm doing the stroke correctly. 

Very similar to the Yes! V-Easy from the looks of things? Main difference is that this properly attaches to the shaft:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Yes-Golf-V-Easy-Training/dp/B009YECFKQ

Looks really useful - I've had a lot of good things come from the Yes training aid, so can see this helping a lot of people as well.

Got mine in the mail yesterday.  Man, it really forces the hands to being super quiet and a light grip pressure.  I was definitely close, but I can feel and see the difference. Definitely worth the buy.

Bought it - thanks!

Works great - like a miracle if you have nervous hands - you don't even think about the arms/hands any longer. It has you starting the stroke from the center of the back below the neck - that was my feel. Without any practice on real greens with it, had a nerves free day with my first round after using it at home. Definitely gives you a different feel on the greens. Canned a long one, and was very close on several others - it's more of a speed issue now - getting accustomed to it will take regular time on the practice green and more rounds.

After 6 weeks, this aid has transformed my putting. My forearms are not tight on to my sides, and my stroke is more of left shoulder down, right shoulder up (rocking). It is a freer stroke, and the data shows less arc, which is what I wanted.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2018 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    More to come…
    • Not really the topic for it, but group lessons can be good in that they lower the pressure, but the obvious "bad" parts are that the individuals don't get the same amount of attention as they would get individually. Adults often do them because they're cheaper, they can do them with friends, and they are less pressure. Kids often do them because they're good babysitting. That's not the point I was making at all. My point was that beginning golfers don't get to face a "beginner" opponent - the golf course and the equipment is pretty much pro-level right from the start. Beginners in cricket would not fare very well nor would they develop any good habits at all if they faced professional cricket bowlers right from the start, but unfortunately that's basically what happens in golf - they're given a golf ball, a driver, and a hole that's 4.25" away. About the only concession we make as "golf" is to sometimes tee them up 150 yards away instead of 450 yards away, but the actual act is still incredibly difficult, with virtually no margin for error. Cricket and virtually all other sports: Have a simpler motion with shorter implements at slower speeds. Have more margin for error. Are played against other human beings, who can make mistakes and who are, particularly when someone is starting out, often at about the same level. Golf: Has a complex motion with longer implements swung at higher speeds. Have virtually no margin for error. Is played right away to a 4.25" hole 150+ yards away. 🤦‍♂️ I think you've completely missed the context, not to mention the bit about meaning no offense. Being happy to shoot a 92 doesn't mean you're a bad person, your handicap is not a value judgment of any kind. Hell, half of my students probably started with me when they were at your level or worse. It's not a value judgment of any kind. But it does shed some light on your perspective here. It does lend weight to how strongly others might wish to weigh your opinions. Imagine if this was a court of law, and you were called to the stand as an expert witness. What insights could you offer into what it takes to play golf at a high level? Have you been a single digit golfer within the last 20 years? Ever? Have you been a 3, with a small but annoying miss, that required a few months to iron out? I don't know the answer to these things. I guessed at your age based on the year in your email address. For all I know you're 88 and you were married in 1967, and so shooting 92 right now is pretty good, but back in the day you maintained a +1 handicap. I don't know. That would certainly give a bit more weight to your opinion, wouldn't you agree? Think about how this looks from my perspective. You're a 22 handicapper, and I'm a +1 and a pretty good instructor. You're coming on to my site and telling me a bunch of stuff about what makes for a good lesson and how people get good at golf. Between the two of us, honestly, who might know more about these topics? And hey, maybe again I got the 51/22 stuff wrong. But if I did, tell me. Because, like in my golf lessons, I like to tailor whatever I'm saying to the audience, to the person I'm talking to. Admittedly here I'm talking to a few people, anyone who might read this, but I'm also trying to understand where you're coming from, and I'm talking at least a little more to you than the others who might read it. You want to know how someone else put it? That's how someone else put it. And your reaction to my questions above, which again, man I trademarked the phrase "Golf is Hard®" - it is, I get it… anyway, your reaction to that doesn't dissuade me from agreeing with my friend here. What are your qualifications for telling us what a "good lesson" is? What are your qualifications for telling us what it takes to be "good" at golf? That's not to say you need a sparkling résumé for each of those. If you've taken lessons at all, from anyone, you will have opinions on what makes for a good lesson and a bad lesson. And that feedback and those opinions are welcome; I welcome feedback from all corners, from anyone who has something to say, new or old, rich or poor, +6 to 36 handicap… etc. But understanding where you're coming from helps us to understand the context of your opinion. Imagine walking into an auto body shop having flipped through the pages of Car Mechanic magazine and telling the guys who worked there all about what's wrong with the auto body industry. Or talking to a bunch of Fortune 500 CEOs about how they should run their businesses because you took a few college business classes. If I'm right about the 51/22 stuff… maybe we're not that far off here.
    • I’ve seen plenty of professionals in Cricket draw a “duck” (Bowled out on the first ball with no runs more or less).  It’s not an easy game. In fact it’s a very difficult game. Fast balls arrive at nearly 100 mph, often with an unpredictable bounce, deliberately delivered long and short of the wicket to vary the height on arrival at the batsman.  Spin bowlers can deliver the ball at 70-80 mph but deliver the ball so that it dramatically changes direction directly in front of the batsman after the bounce.  The change in direction happens in roughly 1/10th of a second after the bounce.  Add to that the impact of changing wicket conditions which makes a massive difference to how the ball performs.  Make no mistake cricketers are amazing athletes and the game requires very quick reflexes and excellent hand-eye coordination.  You could debate whether or not it’s easier or harder than golf I think.  Ok pal I won’t waste anymore of your time. Take it easy.
    • For me football is the most interesting sport to watch.
    • Day 155 Despite my poorer day of practice, got out to play 18. The results showed a hangover from yesterday.  50 out  47 in.  The out nine were mired  by 6 penalty strokes.  I was not sure I could hit two in the water on drives!  But, I somehow did 6 GIR with 9 Fairways, so somewhat acceptable there.  Chip shots were so-so as many left me with far too many too long putts that tested me. Putts were inconsistent as well! 37!  While it come out to a smidge over 2 per hole, that stat hides a few 3 putts. Not sure if it were just the stiffness I still felt from yesterday or misjudging the speeds. While the round of 97 was far from my worst round of 2018, it was most frustrating because of how solid the previous one was.  Still, given my progress over the past 12 months, I should be ok.   
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. CT207
      CT207
      (66 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...