IGNORED

TPM - A Great Putting Training Aid

Note: This thread is 2043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

https://ixiasports.com/products/true-pendulum-motion

I wanted to take a long overdue moment to talk a little bit about one of the better putting training aids on the market today. Putting is, as you know, one of the areas of the game that have the least effect on your score, and yet… is so, so, so frustrating to a lot of people. Though the average person loses fewer strokes to putting than they might think, those with a glaring weakness can really pile up the lost strokes, becoming increasingly frustrated with each and every one.

Now, long-time forum members know that putting is three things: Read, Bead, and Speed. TPM won't be able to help you with the Read, but it can help you with the Bead and the Speed keys - starting putts on line and hitting them the correct distance.

What is it?

Essentially it's two extendable rods that attach to your putter mid-way down the shaft to help you create a more pendulum-like putting motion. The rods rest on top of your forearms and under your armpits. The attachment point to your putter is rubbery, so it's not "clamped" in, and the rods will give a little of course unless you really squeeze your armpits tightly, so there's still a little wiggle room for a little wrist action in the stroke, which is great.

tpm_above.jpg

Each rod extends much like some ball retrievers you've seen - you twist the "outer" or "upper" rod one direction to loosen it, slide it to the desired length, and then tighten by twisting the other direction. The inner or lower rod is marked with numbers, so you can set the TPM to the same setting each time - kids will use the smaller numbers, while even someone who is over 6' tall can use the TPM comfortably.

tpm_cody_1.jpgtpm_cody_2.jpg

Cody, above, is about 5'8" and can generally use one of the middle length settings. You can see the effect it has on his putting stroke (particularly from face-on) below:

Yes, he still adds a little "flourish" (out to the right) at the end of his putting stroke. It leads to some interesting looking traces in SAM PuttLab, but generally doesn't impact his putting, as it's well after the ball is gone.

Here's James Sieckmann talking about the TPM:

And 5SK guy Corey Lundberg:

The TPM comes already assembled:

tpm_box.jpg

The TPM is lightweight, but sturdy and strong with aluminum and rubber composition (and a little plastic).

How do you use it?

1. Attach the TPM to your putter at about the mid-point of the shaft below the grip:

tpm_front.jpg

2. Spread the rods apart and extend them to the proper length for your setup style:

tpm_on_putter_1.jpg

3. Grip your putter, resting the TPM against the top side of your forearms and beneath your arms:

tpm_on_putter_2.jpg

4. Putt!

tpm_on_putter_3.jpgtpm_on_putter_4.jpg

That's all there is to it. As you can see, the TPM accommodates putting strokes of variety, too: regular, cross-handed, claw, pencil, and other styles. It may not work with every putting style (some more extreme arm-lock style strokes didn't work perfectly), but it worked for far more than it didn't work for.

The TPM costs $89.99 and is available for order at https://ixiasports.com.

It comes with my strong recommendation.

tpm_conn_back.jpg

tpm_side.jpg

tpm_solo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you. Will check it out.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Hmmm... I need to give this some serious consideration.  If I'm reading it correctly, it should help my putting mechanics, which when fixed remove one variable (did I execute the stroke correctly) from possible causes of makes or misses.   I know my putting has (small sample size) improved the last few rounds, but it would be nice to know I'm doing the stroke correctly. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 4 weeks later...

Very similar to the Yes! V-Easy from the looks of things? Main difference is that this properly attaches to the shaft:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Yes-Golf-V-Easy-Training/dp/B009YECFKQ

Looks really useful - I've had a lot of good things come from the Yes training aid, so can see this helping a lot of people as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Got mine in the mail yesterday.  Man, it really forces the hands to being super quiet and a light grip pressure.  I was definitely close, but I can feel and see the difference. Definitely worth the buy.

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• 4 weeks later...

Bought it - thanks!

Works great - like a miracle if you have nervous hands - you don't even think about the arms/hands any longer. It has you starting the stroke from the center of the back below the neck - that was my feel. Without any practice on real greens with it, had a nerves free day with my first round after using it at home. Definitely gives you a different feel on the greens. Canned a long one, and was very close on several others - it's more of a speed issue now - getting accustomed to it will take regular time on the practice green and more rounds.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I paired this up with my Blast Motion sensor; nice combo.

• 1 month later...

After 6 weeks, this aid has transformed my putting. My forearms are not tight on to my sides, and my stroke is more of left shoulder down, right shoulder up (rocking). It is a freer stroke, and the data shows less arc, which is what I wanted.

Note: This thread is 2043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!