IGNORED

Does it really matter what cart bag one gets?

Note: This thread is 2071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm in the market for a cart bag as I'm in the process of buying new clubs to move on from my hand me down set I've been using. There are so many options but at the end of the day they all seem to be very similar other than the logo and color schemes for the most part. I know I want a 14/15 divider and something with a cooler which virtually all of them have.

So for you grizzled golf veterans does it really matter what you get?

For the record I'm looking at either the Cleveland cart bag or the Ping Pioneer. One based on a great price and the fact I'll probably have a complete Cleveland set so why not and the other because I quite like the looks of the Ping..lol.

:cleveland: Launcher HB driver (9 degree), Launcher HB 3 & 5 woods,  4H Launcher hybrids, CBX 5-GW, 54 & 58 degree wedges, :cleveland: RHO 35” :srixon: Z Star XV 

Yeah, I think it does. The bag you get is going to be with you quite a while. It becomes part of your game. You get to comfortable with it. You know where to look for stuff. It's your tool box, since it carries everything you need to play this game. It's your partner in crime when you sneak in food, and beverages on to the course. In some instances, it's a sign of character. It's going to protect your clubs. In other words pick a good one.

My bag is probably 18 +/-   years old. I am sad to see it wearing out. That said, I have a roll of Gorilla Duct Tape to use as needed......😎

Edited by Patch
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Everybody is different when it comes to bags. I have a completely illogical OCD need to have my bag be the same brand as my clubs. However your needs are the most important regarding what type of bag you should get. Do you walk often? Do you like to have a lot of stuff (meds, tape, extra glove, whiskey...etc.) Find one that suits as many if not all your needs if possible. If you have large grips be wary of club binding for many carry bags and some cart bags as well. If you have a jumbo putter grip consider getting a bag that has a putter well.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, vonbonds said:

So I'm in the market for a cart bag as I'm in the process of buying new clubs to move on from my hand me down set I've been using. There are so many options but at the end of the day they all seem to be very similar other than the logo and color schemes for the most part. I know I want a 14/15 divider and something with a cooler which virtually all of them have.

So for you grizzled golf veterans does it really matter what you get?

For the record I'm looking at either the Cleveland cart bag or the Ping Pioneer. One based on a great price and the fact I'll probably have a complete Cleveland set so why not and the other because I quite like the looks of the Ping..lol.

If you like the look of the Ping, and it holds all your stuff in a way you can access it easily, then get it. I have a Titleist bag, which is made by Sun Mountain. I didn't get it to match my clubs at the time because I was playing Mizuno irons. I got it because I liked how the pockets were set up, the dividers were well organized and it was fairly light for a stand cart bag. it has done well for 3 full seasons.

I always keep my clubs in the same slots too. My wife on the other hand is the most disorganized golfer ever. By the end of the round, she can have two, sometimes three clubs in one slot on her Mizuno bag.:-P It baffles me!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Go for the Ping bag.  I was just checking them out and they look sweet and have many color combos.

I have 4 bags.  2 staff bags and 2 stand bags.  Wilson & Ping.... Titleist & Taylor Made.  All are a bit different in look and layouts.  My fav is the Wilson and that is the one I usually use.

Like said above.... get the one that looks good, holds your clubs the way you want and has room for all the goodies you like to bring.  I have the rain hood, a windbreaker, cigar and cutter, small med kit, umbrella, tees, balls, marker, bottle opener, extra towel, snacks and drinks all in my bag.  I usually get a few "Nice bag man!" every time out on the course.

Edited by Vinny Cap

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

As I get older, I want it to be lighter (though I have a nice old Ron Miller staff bag; reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield's in CaddyShack). I'm also not so sure I want or like the 14/15 dividers (though I have a Datrek like that). Pocket locations and function are important, but I decided not to carry everything I own when I play golf. So, I'm starting to use my good old Titleist stand bag and carrying only what I really need. Best to all, -Marv

• Thumbs Up 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

So I went with the Cleveland even though I think the Ping is probably a better bag. The Cleveland was considerably cheaper and my OCD kicked in too as I have all Cleveland clubs now and I wanted it all to match..lol

• Like 1

:cleveland: Launcher HB driver (9 degree), Launcher HB 3 & 5 woods,  4H Launcher hybrids, CBX 5-GW, 54 & 58 degree wedges, :cleveland: RHO 35” :srixon: Z Star XV 

On 6/1/2018 at 8:44 AM, MarvChamp said:

As I get older, I want it to be lighter (though I have a nice old Ron Miller staff bag; reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield's in CaddyShack). I'm also not so sure I want or like the 14/15 dividers (though I have a Datrek like that). Pocket locations and function are important, but I decided not to carry everything I own when I play golf. So, I'm starting to use my good old Titleist stand bag and carrying only what I really need. Best to all, -Marv

The Rod Miller reminds me of some bags my buddies just bought. Bag Boy" Revolvers". These things have an internal cylinder that you can spin to bring the club of your choice front and center. The only problem is they weigh at least 40lbs empty! Load them up w/clubs and gear and they weigh a ton!

I've seen my buddies grunting and groaning to get them from their vehicle to the cart! No way would you want to carry these, or drag them on a hand cart!

My vintage Callaway Sir Isaac bag from ‘92 has gotten tight. I guess it always was, but it’s size and the way it stands by itself are great qualities. It’s a real hassle to pull clubs in and out these days, maybe partly due to tacky grips. I recently played and ended up laying some clubs in the cart, but of course they bounced out and I had to embarrassingly do a reverse search. (Got em)

I do carts and pull carts. Being 65, I don’t carry much (other than from my car), and I hate legs on bags. I’d like a handle on the correct side so shorter clubs are on the bottom, so I don’t understand how the reverse slope of most bags I see would keep my wedges from slamming into longer shafts when carrying.

I’m looking for 14-15 way full dividers. I think ice in a bag is stupid. I don’t need a putter well the size of my arm. I almost bought a Callaway Org 15, but it falls over by blowing on it. I looked at a Datrik with “correct” handle placement, but it’s so low that the bag ends up parallel to the ground when loaded. Maybe I need more balls to counterbalance... 

I’m about to buy an Ogio Grom with the dreaded reverse slope, but I thought I’d check with you guys first.

Edited by Robbie son of Lucky

On 5/31/2018 at 11:58 PM, Vinsk said:

Everybody is different when it comes to bags. I have a completely illogical OCD need to have my bag be the same brand as my clubs. However your needs are the most important regarding what type of bag you should get. Do you walk often? Do you like to have a lot of stuff (meds, tape, extra glove, whiskey...etc.) Find one that suits as many if not all your needs if possible. If you have large grips be wary of club binding for many carry bags and some cart bags as well. If you have a jumbo putter grip consider getting a bag that has a putter well.

On 6/2/2018 at 6:14 PM, vonbonds said:

So I went with the Cleveland even though I think the Ping is probably a better bag. The Cleveland was considerably cheaper and my OCD kicked in too as I have all Cleveland clubs now and I wanted it all to match..lol

At least you both know that you are crazy... 

I'm looking to replace my cart bag with the "s" model. It is a C130 and I like it except want the "s" version which has a stand. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I just went with a NY Jets bag, because I am, foolishly, a fan.

That being said, the Callaway US Open bag is gorgeous.

• Like 1

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

On 6/20/2018 at 10:09 AM, millsan1 said:

Haha..I’m a Jets fan too. Post a picture of it. 

On 6/20/2018 at 9:09 AM, millsan1 said:

I’m glad I didn’t buy a San Diego Chargers bag 

12 hours ago, vonbonds said:

Haha..I’m a Jets fan too. Post a picture of it. 

Don't have a pic of my bag, but this is the one I bought.  Got it on sale for $99.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/wilson-nfl-new-york-jets-cart-bag-14wilunflnyjetbag/14wilunflnyjetbag

• Like 1

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

I looked for 2 months and ended up with a Callaway Org 14. Great quality, plenty of appropriately-sized pockets and the slope I thought I wanted. I might have been wrong on that one, but I guess I just have to keep some covers on. Otherwise perfect for me and my kit. I can even get a 15th club in there easily if I’m trying something new. 

FYI, my 2 cents from my finals:

Org 15: falls over by breathing on it. A little big for my game.

Forgan Country Club: very nice actually; full length dividers but so thin that it didn’t help shaft tangling. Zero rotational stability. 

Ogio Grom: another contender, but too many big pockets and not enough small ones. A real “flying nun” appearance. 

• 1 month later...

Coincidentally, I noticed a couple of divider cart bags in the pro shop yesterday. They were identical! One was a Tour Edge bag, the other a Calloway I believe.  If there any difference at all, it might have been the middle 4 slots were very slightly higher on the Tour Edge, but all the compartments were the same. The Tour edge was a bit lighter however, so I guess "identical" is not that accurate a description. (prices were the same too).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 2071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!